HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 12:11 AM

Keller Auditorium Replacement or Refurbishment | Proposed

Quote:
Keller Auditorium: Renovate or replace?
Either way, seismic concerns are pushing a decision. A recent tour of Oregon's biggest performance hall demonstrated the building’s need and its untapped potential.

One of several possible futures for Keller Auditorium, ranging from renovation and structural strengthening to demolition and rebuilding on another site. This 2016 proposal, from London’s StuFish Entertainment Architects and Portland production designer Michael Curry, ties the auditorium more firmly to the adjoining Keller Fountain. Illustration courtesy StuFish Entertainment Architects.

“DON’T PICK AT IT TOO HARD,” Keller Auditorium operations director Ed Williams said jokingly as I ran my finger along one of the building’s sidewalk-level façade panels, made of beveled quartz over concrete. “That started to deteriorate practically while they were installing it.”

“If you look closely you’ll see lots of the panels have had to be reattached with pins,” added City of Portland spectator venues manager Karl Lisle.

Our tour hadn’t even begun, yet this venue’s age and deterioration were already apparent. So too, though, was a still-striking urban setting. A few minutes before meeting up with my tour guides, I’d arrived early to take in the wondrous Ira Keller Fountain across the street—the most acclaimed work of design in Portland’s history—its urban waterfall back in operation after months with the water turned off.

This portion of downtown, heretofore known as the South Auditorium District, has recently been rebranded as the Fountain District, yet both names are incomplete. It’s the auditorium-fountain combo that anchors what’s otherwise a place of parking garages and drop-ceilinged office buildings, creating a sense of place. If Keller Auditorium is noticeably run-down, its setting remains compelling—which a refresh would only enhance—and its role in this corner of downtown is vital.

If the preamble outside Keller Auditorium and its decaying quartz was grim, the tour’s first indoor stop inside made me giddy: a chance to go behind the curtain and stand on Oregon’s largest performance stage, peering out at its 3,000 seats. Over the next hour, that duality only continued: beautiful vistas and curious historical features alternating with facility and space deficiencies highlighted. “There’s some big choices that need to be made about reinvesting in Keller or perhaps replacing it,” said Lisle from the stage. “I want to make sure you leave this tour understanding how the building is put together structurally, which is one of its biggest deficiencies, but not its only deficiency. It’s extremely obsolete in a lot of ways.”
...continues at Oregon Arts Watch.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Aug 29, 2023, 4:41 PM

There are some very interesting options in here. Be sure to click the link to all the proposals.

Quote:
City of Portland explores options for large-scale performance venue, including Keller Auditorium renovation and high-profile new sites

The City of Portland is one step closer to planning for the future of premier performing arts in Portland, as a renovation concept for Keller Auditorium nears completion and an open call for a future venue attracts proposals from Lloyd Center, Portland State University, OMSI and more.

For more than 100 years, Keller Auditorium has been one of Portland’s largest performing arts venues. Owned by the City of Portland and operated by the Portland’5 Centers for the Arts, a service of Metro, the Keller is the largest theatrical auditorium in Oregon and is the only theater in the Portland area capable of hosting Broadway performances, large operas and ballet productions.

A seismic study completed in 2020 confirmed that, like many older civic buildings, the Keller was not built to withstand a major earthquake. The City and its partners are now teaming up to explore possibilities so that large-scale productions can continue long into the future.

A privately led effort to explore renovation possibilities for Keller Auditorium is near completion. In addition to necessary structural upgrades, renovations would also include improvements to outdated guest amenities, backstage facilities and mechanical and production systems.

Proposed locations submitted in an open call for potential future performing arts venue sites
Eight proposals submitted in response to a Request for Expression of Interest also give city leaders a unique opportunity to examine locations for the potential development of a new large-scale performing arts venue, ensuring a comprehensive look at possibilities for Keller Auditorium’s future.

The submissions include properties in and near Portland’s Central City large enough to accommodate the needs of a new large-scale theater. Properties proposed for further examination include (in no particular order) Portland State University, an Oregon Museum of Science and Industry property, RiverPlace, the former ESCO steel foundry, Zidell Yards and two locations in the Lloyd District—including Lloyd Center Mall.

The City of Portland, Portland’5 Centers for the Performing Arts and Prosper Portland are evaluating the submissions, and in September, the proposed properties will be narrowed for further evaluation and conceptual design work to better evaluate feasibility.

By early 2024, both the Keller Auditorium renovation concept and a list of properties which could serve as potential sites for a new large-scale performing arts facility will be shared with city leaders as a comprehensive set of options for exploring the future of premier performing arts in Portland.

View all proposals

Old Posted Aug 30, 2023, 12:57 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

As much as I'd hate to see the Keller moved, what an amazing opportunity it could be for that part of downtown to have that block get redeveloped. Currently, the whole block is dead except for the front along SW 3rd.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 6:21 PM

On City Council agenda at 2PM this afternoon: Accept Halprin Landscape Conservancy Keller Auditorium Renovation Design Concept report

Quote:
Date: September 11, 2023

To: City Council

Karl Lisle, Spectator Venues Program Manager

Lauren Broudy, Spectator Venues Program Coordinator

Re: September 27, 2023 City Council Agenda Item—Accept Halprin Landscape Conservancy’s Keller Auditorium Renovation Design Concept Report (Report; Grant Agreement No. 32003038)

Karen Whitman, Executive Director, Halprin Landscape Conservancy, will join John Russell, Developer, Scott Andrews, Principal Broker Melvin Mark Brokerage Company, and Tim Eddy, President, Hennebery Eddy Architects, to present their work on a potential renovation of the Keller Auditorium.

Halprin Landscape Conservancy’s report documents their feasibility study for rehabilitating and expanding the Keller.

This report is required by the Halprin’s grant agreement with the City to explore a renovation concept in further detail. The grant agreement required a $200,000 investment from both the City and Metro and a $200,000 private match from the Halprin Landscape Conservancy.

While this report details a design concept for a renovated Keller, other options including potential replacement of the venue on an alternative site will be considered. City staff will have more information regarding the exploration of a new build on another site in the coming months.

At this time, no decisions have been made on the future of the Keller Auditorium and no capital funding has been identified to pay for a major renovation or replacement.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2023, 12:42 AM

I’m a big fan of major arts/theater downtown, so I hope this works out.

https://www.oregonlive.com/entertain...bathrooms.html

Old Posted Sep 29, 2023, 2:10 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
I’m a big fan of major arts/theater downtown, so I hope this works out.

https://www.oregonlive.com/entertain...bathrooms.html
Oh, that's fantastic news. I was really hoping the Keller would stay downtown.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2023, 9:43 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Oh, that's fantastic news. I was really hoping the Keller would stay downtown.
I am also in favor of a revamped and expanded Keller Auditorium because of the importance of arts venues in Downtown and also because the Forecourt Fountain (later aka Keller Fountain) was designed as a counterpoint to the theater building.

For years I have urged City leaders to close SW 3rd between the Keller and the fountain to create a pedestrian space (free of parked, idling diesel buses that transport patrons from distant towns to Keller performances) and to allow expansion of the theater lobbies into the ROW with great views of the fountain. This latest proposal does all of that.

Let's not forget about the backstage needs of the Keller. Decades ago I was a volunteer performer (a non-singing supernumerary) with Portland Opera. After about a dozen operas in which I was on stage, I know how inadequate the backstage, loading, dressing & makeup rooms, and green room are. I hope that SW 2nd Avenue on the rear of the Keller will be closed to cars so that the backstage area can be expanded into the SW 2nd ROW. The already-narrow street would be replaced with a landscaped pedestrian way that extends the green pedestrian experience coming from the Halprin "Open Space Sequence" to the south.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 5:24 PM

If the decision is made to replace the Keller on a new site, the PSU site definitely seems like one of the more compelling options.

Quote:
Aging Keller Auditorium in downtown Portland could be upstaged by PSU's proposed replacement

The city of Portland, which owns the venerable venue, has said that it needs significant updates and seismic upgrades to keep going. Renovations would not be cheap.

PORTLAND, Ore. — Portland State University came out swinging Wednesday, previewing its proposal to build a brand new performing arts center in downtown Portland to replace the aging Keller Auditorium.

The city of Portland owns Keller and faces a dilemma in the coming years. The 3,000-seat venue, constructed back in 1917 and renovated in 1967, needs a great deal of work to continue hosting performances, including seismic upgrades.

As a result, the city has been exploring its options: either embarking on a massive renovation project or committing to a new venue that would take the Keller's place. Over the summer, the city awarded grant funding to the Halprin Landscape Conservancy to study the potential avenues it could take.

Even at the time, Portland said that it had reached out to several major property holders to explore the potential for new construction, including PSU, the Lloyd Center and OMSI.
...continues at KGW.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2023, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
If the decision is made to replace the Keller on a new site, the PSU site definitely seems like one of the more compelling options.
This is my favorite. I really can't see renovating at the current location, as much as I love it. If it does move to another location I'm going to be really interested in the conversations about what will be built opposite of the fountain. It will NEED to be an active and important public space that compliments the park.

Anyone got an idea what that could be?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2023, 7:03 PM

Does anyone know where on Lincoln this would be? Which lot exactly? I love the idea of keeping Keller downtown but that area always feels a bit on the edge to me ... a bit disconnected, not super pedestrian friendly, fast moving cars, set back buildings, parking lots, w/o much retail, resturaunts etc. I guess that could change though.

Is there any reason why broadway corridor isn't a candidate for this? Such a blank slate space, good transportation access, parks, lots of retail infrastructure potential on the site and nearby in the Pearl and Old Town. Old Greyhound station would seem like another option.

Last edited by colossalorder; Oct 20, 2023 at 7:35 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2023, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossalorder View Post
Does anyone know where on Lincoln this would be? Which lot exactly? I love the idea of keeping Keller downtown but that area always feels a bit on the edge to me ... a bit disconnected, not super pedestrian friendly, fast moving cars, set back buildings, parking lots, w/o much retail, resturaunts etc. I guess that could change though.

Is there any reason why broadway corridor isn't a candidate for this? Such a blank slate space, good transportation access, parks, lots of retail infrastructure potential on the site and nearby in the Pearl and Old Town. Old Greyhound station would seem like another option.
This looks like it's the location of the current University Place conference hotel, 310 SW Lincoln. PSU acquired it 10-15 years ago with the intention of eventually redeveloping it.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2023, 9:19 PM

Correct. There's a site plan on page 10 of this document.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2023, 10:03 PM

There's some continuity of moving the Keller from one end of the Halprin Sequence to the other. The site plan does a shit job of acknowledging that, though.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2023, 6:57 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
This looks like it's the location of the current University Place conference hotel, 310 SW Lincoln. PSU acquired it 10-15 years ago with the intention of eventually redeveloping it.
I have unfortunate news about our age, we are getting old. I just looked it up and PSU bought the hotel in 2004, almost 20 years ago.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2023, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I have unfortunate news about our age, we are getting old.

No fucking idea how this happened

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 1:24 AM

The PSU site is one of two new build sites being advanced for further study (along with the Lloyd site):

Quote:
PSU DOWNTOWN AUDITORIUM PROPOSAL ADVANCED BY CITY OFFICIALS

Portland State University’s proposal to build a world class performance venue on its campus was selected this week by the city of Portland to be advanced for further study including engagement with the Portland community and a presentation to Portland City Council next year.

PSU’s proposal for a world-class performing arts center will include a 3,000-seat auditorium, an outdoor plaza, an on-site boutique hotel, a conference center and educational facilities. It’s the only plan to build a new auditorium to replace the seismically challenged Keller Auditorium that maintains Portland’s premiere arts venue downtown, retaining the continuity of the auditorium district and catalyzing further development in the central city.

“We are thrilled to have our proposal selected by the city for further study and look forward to engaging with the community and our city leaders to examine all of the ways this plan can benefit Portland,” said PSU President Ann Cudd. “PSU is Portland’s university and will take every opportunity to contribute to downtown’s revitalization.”

PSU’s proposal was selected along with a proposal to locate a performance venue in Northeast Portland at the Lloyd Center. Both would provide an alternative to renovating the Keller Auditorium on its current space-constrained lot in downtown Portland.

“PSU is an experienced developer with a long track record of partnering with the city of Portland on complex building projects,” said Jason Franklin, PSU’s associate vice president for planning, construction and real estate. “We look forward to the process of working with the city and organizations across the region to fine tune our proposal to meet the needs of our arts communities while contributing to the vibrancy of our downtown auditorium district.”

The city’s timeline includes further cost analysis, presentations to city council and community engagement around the proposals under consideration. The city will provide grants of $50,000 each to Portland State and Lloyd Center for further design work.
...via PSU.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 2:14 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Any thoughts on what a realistic timeline would be?

I'd be sad to see Keller move, but at least glad to see it move to the PSU site. And, really, the current site would be great to see redeveloped into housing. I lived at The Essex House, 2 blocks away from the Keller, many years ago. I was surprised by how much I loved living in that part of town.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 7:24 PM

Redeveloping that site as PSU is proposing would definitely be a boon for the university and a big statement for the south end of downtown. I can't help but feel that a performing arts center/hotel/classrooms is maximizing the potential of the site, though. This is a large property roughly equal to the American Plaza complex next door, right on the MAX line and blocks away from other stops for different lines. Seems like a prime target for housing, or at least finding a way to incorporate a housing element into the overall site.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2023, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Fight over future of Keller Auditorium intensifies

Portland officials are zeroing in on three options to either relocate or renovate Keller Auditorium, Portland's largest theater.

Property owners near the current site want it to stay put. Portland State University and developers of the redone Lloyd Center want the theater on their premises.

The nearly 3,000-seat Keller, built in 1917 and updated in 1968, needs seismic work to make it safer from possible earthquake damage, but downtime for renovations would lead to financial losses because of missed performances by Broadway, a big money maker.

Portland is among the most active markets for Broadway Across America, which logged some $12 million in revenue and 17,000 subscribers this year. Broadway Across America, which pays to rent space at Keller, in September warned city commissioners it could not find a comparable interim venue in Portland.

The question is whether city leaders are willing to let Broadway money go temporarily in order to renovate Keller where it stands, a project expected to take between 19 and 28 months. The two other applicants have emerged with proposals to replace Keller altogether, instead of fixing it up.

The competing ambitions set up a showdown in 2024, when the Portland City Council is set to revisit the issue.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal ($).

Old Posted Dec 29, 2023, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I wish they could find a way to do both. Renovate Keller for musical performances while building.a new theater specific for Broadway shows. This town should be big enough to support both over the long term.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment