HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 3:30 PM

Blenz is pretty much the same as Second Cup!

Both places serve mediocre coffee but good espresso based drinks.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
There's definitely something different with BC-based F&B businesses. They expand outside of the province with extreme caution it seems:

Milestones, for instance, skipped all of western Canada and set up restaurants in Ontario and Washington.
Blenz is scarce through-out the country, but you can find them in Beijing and Hangzhou, China.
Cactus Club expanded to Alberta, but it almost ruined the company. Not sure if there are any in the province still.
The Keg seems to be the most successful restaurant chain out of BC. It can be found everywhere in Canada and, to a lesser extent, the US.

Probably the most well-known brand out of BC these days isn't a restaurant at all. It's Lululemon.
There is a Couple of Cactus Clubs in Calgary I believe. I know there is one on MacLoed Trail, I think there is one up on Barlow somewhere but not sure.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2012, 8:36 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I've eaten at White Spot a few times over the years, and it has never really left an impression on me. Then I remembered how great everyone in BC says it is (didn't actually realize there was a love/hate thing), so I tried it again a couple weeks ago (slider trio or whatever it is). Above average, but not much more. I think I'd still go to Fatburger before WS, and definitely Five Guys or Smashburger.

White Spot is still not nearly as overrated as Red Robin though.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2012, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFRENCH View Post
There is a Couple of Cactus Clubs in Calgary I believe. I know there is one on MacLoed Trail, I think there is one up on Barlow somewhere but not sure.
The one on Macleod opened in 1993. Calgary used to have many White Spots. I used to go to the one across Macleod from Chinook in the 70s. There also used to be one by Market Mall back then.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 6:46 PM

White Spot isn't bad, but I'll take Harveys any day.. My Ontario roots are coming through there obviously..

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 4:30 AM

I find Second Cup kinda hit and miss. Blendz is more consistent. I *love* their mochas. Hmmm, dark chocolate...

I loved Timothy's when I visited Toronto. Vancouver had a Timothy's for a brief of period but either my palate changed over time or it was a bad location. Anyways, it's been closed for a long time.

On Topic, I like White Spot too. It's a good family restaurant. But for Canadian fast food chains, I prefer Harvey's.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 5:59 AM

Put me down as someone who loves White Spot. Their yam fries are among the best and I love their seasonal BC berry / fruit desserts.

Also love the legendary burger.

I am actually surprised how many restaurant chains are based out of BC.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 2:15 PM

I love white spot.
There is not a chance in hell they would come to Florida. But everytime i go back to BC i make sure i stop by.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 5:36 PM
HVAC guru

White Spot reminds me of the twice yearly road trip my family would do from Vernon to Vancouver every year when we were kids. We'd load up in the Volvo wagon, us three kids in the back seat, fighting until the force-fed gravol took hold (that's right. drugged by my mom), and take the 7 hour drive down the Trans Canada. What a treat when the Coquihalla went in!! We'd stay at the Holiday Inn downtown, and eat at the White Spot in Coal Harbor every time we went down, usually after a day at Stanley Park.

White Spot in Alberta seems different somehow. Can't really put my finger on how, though

Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 5:45 AM

I love hitting up the Triple O's in Salmon Arm when I head into the Shuswap. Good breakfast sandwiches as well.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Yay... Burger is quite good. Fish and Chips are also very good.

The fundamental problem with the expansion plan is they still have not opened up any outlets in Saskatchewan. Once they expand east of Alberta into Saskatchewan then they are back on track moving east.
Yes, White Spot indicated in March, 2012 they would like to expand into Saskatchewan -- I guess they're still looking for prospective franchisees who can/will invest in this venture!

I love White Spot, my 3 y.o. kid loves them, my wife loves them! We will make a point of going to eat there when we are in Calgary and Vancouver! And I know a few other people who will positively vouch for them, too! -- Great burgers ... Can't beat all-you-can-eat fries and sweet potato fries!

Does anyone know if Chef Rob Feenie is still associated with them as a consultant?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:40 PM
BANNED

Tried White "Greasy" Spot a few years ago in Vancouver. The food was well, greasy and over cooked, overpriced, and the service was not that great. IMO, its a terrilble chain and I would never recommend it to anyone.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 6:33 AM
testify

never really thought about white spot as a "love/hate" place, i've eaten there 3-4 times, never made much of an impression, though i suppose the restaurants are somewhat more comfortable than the average burger chain, plus they serve drinks. for mass market burger chains, i think i'd take vera's, though obviously that loses on atmosphere and the lack of cocktails. if you want a real love/hate bc chain, there used to be this place called kelly o'brien that was schlocky but decent, i fear they're all closed up now, but that place was something. the waiters all wore kilts, the menus were these newspapers littered with off-color humor and groan-inducing 'factoids', and the menu was about as old canada as it gets (steaks, burgers, chicken for the ladies, etc.) - personally, i loved it for what it was - a delirious and psychedelic burger bar place - and i'm sad it's almost extinct.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 8:07 AM

Boston Pizza is also a BC company i believe. What about Moxies?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 8:00 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Boston Pizza is also a BC company i believe. What about Moxies?
BP is BC-based now, but was founded in Edmonton. My high school principal claimed to be friends with the founder.

I guess Moxie's is based in Calgary.

Wikipedia is my source, so if I'm wrong, well, whatever.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 1:55 AM

I miss White Spot being in Alberta now.

For me, if I want a cheap burger fix, A&W. If I want to pay for a better burger, it would be White Spot if they had one here. Just something about having bacon, lettuce, tomato, and cheese on a toasted bun. The Triple O sauce and the thicker patty are what make the White Spot burgers superior to A&W.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 3:45 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I like A&W for fast food, but in what part of AB is it the go-to place for a decent burger?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
I like A&W for fast food, but in what part of AB is it the go-to place for a decent burger?
Not a fucking clue man, sorry.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 6:48 AM

grande prarie has Alberta's only Carl's Jr, there is also a fatburger and a Five Guys Burger and fries there

fatburger is pretty good, greasy but good

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 3:52 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
The one on Macleod opened in 1993. Calgary used to have many White Spots. I used to go to the one across Macleod from Chinook in the 70s. There also used to be one by Market Mall back then.
Believe the Calgary White Spot steak houses from the 70-80's were a totally separate company from the BC chain - steak and some seafood was the main offerings back then and most definitely in a different atmosphere.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia