HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 3:34 PM
BANNED

Ald Joe Moore supports Loyola L redevelopment:

http://www.ward49.com/site/epage/133955_322.htm

Plaza:

http://www.ward49.com/site/files/322...tion_Plaza.pdf

4 story mixed use:
http://www.ward49.com/site/files/322...evelopment.pdf

I think this really has a chance to transform that part of RP; given this and the recent rehab of the 4+1 about a block north and that area is going to be quite a bit more spiffy this time next year or so.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
Ald Joe Moore supports Loyola L redevelopment:

http://www.ward49.com/site/epage/133955_322.htm

Plaza:

http://www.ward49.com/site/files/322...tion_Plaza.pdf

4 story mixed use:
http://www.ward49.com/site/files/322...evelopment.pdf

I think this really has a chance to transform that part of RP; given this and the recent rehab of the 4+1 about a block north and that area is going to be quite a bit more spiffy this time next year or so.
Yea, I live in the area. There's been a nice change on Sheridan north to Lunt. Morse is looking much better these days.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 4:59 AM

Burberry

Esquire

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 8:20 AM
TL;DR

^^ May it rest in peace...

Here's hoping we realize our mistake in another 30-40 years and restore the Esquire. Presumably the mutilation also includes a new roof/tuckpointing/etc that will help protect the fragments of the original design.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^^ May it rest in peace...

Here's hoping we realize our mistake in another 30-40 years and restore the Esquire. Presumably the mutilation also includes a new roof/tuckpointing/etc that will help protect the fragments of the original design.
well, the roof was replaced in the 80s when they did the last renovation, as they added a floor at that time. What you see is all that's left of the original building, save the foundation and other three walls.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWChicago View Post
well, the roof was replaced in the 80s when they did the last renovation, as they added a floor at that time. What you see is all that's left of the original building, save the foundation and other three walls.
Yeah, out the back door of my hallway you can look down onto the Esquire and easily see they added a modern roof. This building has been through so much in its lifetime.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 6:56 PM
THAT Guy

Grocery store moving into 1225 Old Town

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...-chicago-store

Specialty grocer chooses Old Town for first Chicago store
By: Micah Maidenberg By: Ryan Ori May 25, 2012

Suburban Detroit-based upscale grocer Plum Market Corp. has plans to open a store in Old Town, ratcheting up the battle for shoppers on the Near North Side.

In its first deal outside its native Michigan, Plum will lease about 28,000 square feet of ground-floor space in 1233 N. Wells St., a 250-unit apartment building being developed by Houston-based Hines Interests L.P. and Chicago-based JDL Development Corp.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 11:34 PM

Color Jam (ArtLoop 2012)

Installation started on this Wednesday night at State and Adams.

Shots from today:

Facebook album of installation photos here.

The Loop Alliance also has a live webcam here.

Those sidewalks seem incredibly dirty for only being 2 days old. Will they keep replacing it on a monthly/weekly basis? It's going to look quite rough by the end of the summer if there is no ongoing maintenance.

Goodman Center

Jones College Prep (or, rather, the trees in front of it)

Columbia College Facade
The fritted glass is going in. When I biked to the building Wednesday night, there were about 4 panes of the new glass in on the lower floors. The effect was so subtle, I didn't even notice they were fritted for a minute or so. Hopefully it will be more apparent when the full design is up there.

Last edited by markh9; May 25, 2012 at 11:44 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 1:37 AM

^^^
The color jam is looking really cool. I'm planning on having some visitors this summer and I think that will be my number one spot to visit. Also, can't wait to see the new Columbia Facade go up. Columbia really does the best architecture in the city imo. As much attention as Roosevelt gets for their vertical campus, Columbia constantly churns out far lower key but equally excellent stuff from the Studio Gang media building to the Lawrence Booth dorms. The current architecture scene in Chicago would be much worse off without them.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 1:52 AM

Copied from Coast at LSE Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
I'm wondering if it might possibly be the school that will abut it?
I really don't think that school will be in LSE. Spy Guys post only said on LSD if I recall correctly. Here is another article I found:

Quote:
2301 N. Clark Street
Chicago, Ill. 60614
312-361-3519

. . .

Our state-of-the-art facility is 2 blocks from Lincoln Park.
On the Gems website and the article are some pics of the already built location. And the facebook page corroborates this location.

And so lets cut that out of discussion of this building all together. I will copy and paste this to Gen Dev if people want to discuss the school further.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWChicago View Post
Looking at historic photos a few years ago, I could tell that most of the original theater lobby's form, if not the actual materials and features, was still evident before the current renovation, particularly the stair wrapping around the one prominent column. I don't think there was anything else left though, which makes losing most of the facade more painful. The developer could do pretty much anything they wanted inside; I understand that retail needs display windows, but did they really have to destroy the buildings massing, squaring off the curve, only to achieve a few more feet of leasable space?

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 4:49 AM
BANNED

I do not know anywhere else to put this article.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,5555504.story

Chicago losing 86 acres
Waste company wants to expand landfill

By Dawn Rhodes, Chicago Tribune reporter
9:01 PM CDT, May 25, 2012

A Cook County judge ruled Friday that 86 acres on the Southeast Side will no longer be part of Chicago, opening the door for the waste disposal company that owns the property to expand a landfill into that area.

Cook County Associate Judge Susan Fox Gillis ruled in favor of Land and Lakes Co., which was suing the city for the right to disconnect the land in the Riverdale community. The land sits on the southern edge of the city limits at 138th Street and Cottage Grove Avenue, just north of Cook County's only operating landfill, Land and Lakes' River Bend Prairie Landfill in south suburban Dolton.

Environmental advocates ...

A Chicago Law Department spokesman said the city was weighing its options, "including an appeal."

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
I really don't think that school will be in LSE. Spy Guys post only said on LSD if I recall correctly. Here is another article I found:

On the Gems website and the article are some pics of the already built location. And the facebook page corroborates this location.

And so lets cut that out of discussion of this building all together. I will copy and paste this to Gen Dev if people want to discuss the school further.
"Little GEMS" is for pre-K, and the main GEMS is for older kids. The ex Tower Records building you found will be for the tots, so LSE is still a possibility for the kids up through highschool age.

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 10:15 PM

^ At a condo meeting I attended 2 weeks ago, a member of Magellan was asked about the lot next to the spiral stairway. He said they were in negotiations, but could not comment except to say it was not a residential use. So I'd say the school is still a possibility.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 7:46 PM
THAT Guy

^Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
"Little GEMS" is for pre-K, and the main GEMS is for older kids. The ex Tower Records building you found will be for the tots, so LSE is still a possibility for the kids up through highschool age.
That is correct. Even on that website they say, "In 2013, the GEMS World Academy at Lakeshore East (Chicago) will open and serve students in grades PreK-12."

----

Walgreens replacement - Broadway and Glenlake

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 8:49 PM

^^ Thanks so much for the corrections SpyGuy, Denizen and Saber. I do hope we see more mixed use in LSE; right now it still feels far more like a highrise cul-de-sac than a real, living neighborhood. A school should bring some life to the "neighborhood."

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 8:58 PM
The City

^ Really, it's not mixed use enough?

It has walkable retail in 2 different sites, dense residential, a hotel, and a park. Technically, Aqua has office space, and some of the commercial space is bank branches, which can be seen as 'office space' as well.

If you ask me, the addition of a school is just icing on the cake. It's a mixed neighborhood already

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 9:03 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
^ What crap.

What they need to do is redevelop the southeast corner of that intersection Broadway/Glenlake.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 9:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post

Wow... That's almost... err... Good? Not revolutionary, but actually semi-handsome, what is this world coming to when Walgreens starts building stuff that is not ass ugly? It also looks like an adaptive reuse of the existing structure which would put it squarely in the "good" category in my mind as I hate to see anything torn down when it could be retrofitted, even if it's a shitty 70's retail building.

Now if we could just get them to do something about the parking lots...

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Really, it's not mixed use enough?

It has walkable retail in 2 different sites, dense residential, a hotel, and a park. Technically, Aqua has office space, and some of the commercial space is bank branches, which can be seen as 'office space' as well.

If you ask me, the addition of a school is just icing on the cake. It's a mixed neighborhood already

I suppose they do have all those little retail areas and the market will be nice, but the whole area still feels sterile every time I'm in there. The foot traffic feels so much less than it should be given the number of residents. It is a vertical suburb imo. Hopefully kids walking to and from school will bring some life to the neighborhood. The big problem is the way it is chopped off from the offices nearby (BCBS, Aon et al.) by the sunken park. And all the retail faces inward if I remember correctly instead of meeting the surrounding high traffic streets. I think until that changes LSE will continue to feel like a poorly planned sprawl suburb built upwards instead of outwards. If the park and cul-de-sac become as high traffic as Randolph, Wacker (obviously foot traffic on these streets drops precipitously as one moves east), Lake, Columbus because of a school that'd be great.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development