HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 6:51 PM

aq u,;,g6u

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 8:02 PM

They have been running the new Trax trains on the main line today. They are awesome. My office does not shake when they go by.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 8:12 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofIKid View Post
They have been running the new Trax trains on the main line today. They are awesome. My office does not shake when they go by.
Gahhhh!!! Now I have to decide between doing homework and trainspotting!

Last edited by SLCdude; Feb 22, 2011 at 8:26 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
Nice find!

Yes. They're opening on August 7th and the Airport line should open in either 2012 or 2013.
Thanks SLCdude!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 6:41 PM

I saw one of the new TRAX trains yesterday at the Arena Station through the window of the Carriage Cafe.

Last edited by RC14; Feb 23, 2011 at 6:43 PM. Reason: Image didn't work

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 7:51 PM
Lurker

I'm guessing we're not going to see these new trains in use until August. Am I right? Do you know if they were allowing passengers on the new train or if they are keeping the doors shut during these test runs?

Also, I saw some UTA guys in orange vests at the Stadium station today (I think they were electricians). I asked one of them if they were testing new trains today and they had no Idea what I was talking about.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 7:56 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike Delaware Blog
Utah may become 2nd state to legalize rolling stops for bicycles

Despite opposition from car insurance companies, a House committee endorsed a bill Tuesday that would allow bicyclists to treat stop signs as if they were yield signs. Rep. Carol Spackman Moss, D-Holladay, said HB155 would make roads safer and would reflect what cyclists already do. She said allowing cyclists to merely slow and proceed when no cars are present allows them to be less wobbly when going through intersections. It would attract more cyclists away from major highways onto neighborhood roads if they feel they can keep up speed without constantly slowing to full stops. The House Transportation Committee endorsed the measure 12-1 and sent it to the full House.
Good for Utah, if this passes.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
I'm guessing we're not going to see these new trains in use until August. Am I right? Do you know if they were allowing passengers on the new train or if they are keeping the doors shut during these test runs?

Also, I saw some UTA guys in orange vests at the Stadium station today (I think they were electricians). I asked one of them if they were testing new trains today and they had no Idea what I was talking about.
I read somewhere that the new trains will start running in June. I think it was Wikipedia though so I don't know if that's correct or not.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Most cyclists seem to treat stop signs like they don't exist so why not?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 10:24 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I don't have a problem with the rolling stops, but it's the whole "I'm on a bike I'll do whatever the hell I want" attitude that some bikers have that pisses me off. If you want equal access to the road, and respect from the drivers, then play by the same rules. Stop at red lights, use hand signals to change lanes etc.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I don't have a problem with the rolling stops, but it's the whole "I'm on a bike I'll do whatever the hell I want" attitude that some bikers have that pisses me off. If you want equal access to the road, and respect from the drivers, then play by the same rules. Stop at red lights, use hand signals to change lanes etc.
The "Idaho Stop" is great for bikers, here in Boise where biking is huge, both for commuters and recreationists, it works well, and for the most part motorists have an awareness for bikers so people in cars are used to seeing bikers zipping through intersections (and biking the wrong way on downtown's one way streets but that's another story ) No offense, I used to live in SLC, and would be wary as a biker doing the "Idaho Stop" at many intersections with fear of getting driven over. There is a law here in Boise (Boise Cyling Laws) that a motorist cannot cut a biker off while making a right hand turn or the biker can report the driver by taking their plate number down, and a motorist caught breaking the law can result in a misdemeanor.... is there such a law in Salt Lake or Utah? I guess my point about the Idaho Stop is that both bikers and motorists need to be aware of it or it isn't going to go over well. The Stop is mentioned in the media here often so the general motoring public is aware.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
A totally fair statement. But check this out:

I don't have a problem with the people in cars, but it's the whole "I'm in a car so I'll do whatever the hell I want" attitude that some drivers have that pisses me off. If you want equal access to the road, then play by the same rules. Don't speed, stop behind the white line at red lights, don't block the crosswalk, use signals to change lanes, etc.

I agree completely that cyclists should follow the rules, but I also think it's silly and unfair to single out cyclists for bending the rules when every car driver in the country ignores them just as much if not more. Let's adopt rules that actually make sense for everybody, and then chastise those who break them regardless of mode. But let's not chastise cyclists specifically for doing the same as drivers.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 11:27 PM

Well in Utah God makes the laws- but first cyclists demand that he "say please"

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 1:26 AM
farmerboy

Well put Cirrus.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post

I saw one of the new TRAX trains yesterday at the Arena Station through the window of the Carriage Cafe.
Ha! Your picture reminded me of UFO and Bigfoot photos. You can tell something is there, but there's still some mystery to it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor
I don't have a problem with the rolling stops, but it's the whole "I'm on a bike I'll do whatever the hell I want" attitude that some bikers have that pisses me off.
Video Link

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 3:51 PM

If you get a chance check out the information from UTA about new routes. Here is a link to the new TRAX map: http://www.rideuta.com/uploads/traxmap2010.pdf

Last edited by UTPlanner; Feb 24, 2011 at 4:35 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 4:56 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
If you get a chance check out the information from UTA about new routes. Here is a link to the new TRAX map: http://www.rideuta.com/uploads/traxmap2010.pdf
Thanks for posting this! I've been wondering how the routes would be set up. It looks great but I am a bit disappointed that University trains won't continue to the Salt Lake Central hub. I know a couple of people who commute to the U of U via FrontRunner and Trax, and it would be a major inconvenience to have to ride three separate trains. Also, when my friends and I take TRAX downtown we usually get off at Gallivan Plaza, but I guess we'll be getting off at the Courthouse station.

It's good to see they have a map planned out. I'm liking the color scheme I hope they increase the train frequency on existing lines to accommodate new passenger volumes.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 5:13 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post

Well said. Thank you. Couldn't have said it better myself.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 6:03 PM

^
And what do you think about people who act that way while driving cars? Also bad, or do they get a pass?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 6:26 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Yes Cirrus, we all understand that there are bad drivers out there, I agree with you 100%. Drivers have an attitude about owning the road as well, but my comment was made simply because the proposed legislation is directed at bikers, so I commented on bikers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West