HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm2013 View Post
So if fire ants are found in a condo development I'm sure they'll issue a stop work order until they're removed. Or not.
Interesting. The cynical side of me is tempted to think of this a simply a counter-ploy by the city, but I know that these things are a real issue. In fact just today my wife and I were at Van Dusen gardens and saw that they had part of the gardens cordoned off for this very reason.

My suggestion would be for the city to deploy some dumpsters so they can collect and deal with any contaminated soil as they see fit.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 4:12 PM
More Towers

Last edited by spm2013; Nov 16, 2014 at 9:44 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 10:18 PM

CP would probably seek cost recovery from the squatters.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
CP would probably seek cost recovery from the squatters.
They should. It is their property if they want to rent it out to operate a garden all the power to them.

If they just need a place for long-term storage of empty railcards. There is lots of space along that line.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 4:31 PM

Interesting issue. The residents and city seem to want the fire ants to be a justification for not disturbing the gardens. But this tactic may turn on them, as by this logic, the garden owners are liable for the fire ants, not CP.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 5:31 AM
More Towers

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Joyce Murray.

If I squat in her house, I hope she gives me 6 months notice to leave.

A good solution. Obviously Joyce Murray views on property rights are consistent with the gardeners (Squatters). Should probably would not objected if they moved their gardens into her front yard.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 7:04 AM

CP Arbutus Corridor page

"Map of Arbutus Corridor - updated July 9, 2014"

I wonder what update they made on July 9th... South end of plans end at SW Marine and Milton St, maybe the plans detailed further south before the fire??

Last edited by Jimbo604; Jul 11, 2014 at 3:32 PM. Reason: added south plan boundary

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 12:13 AM
More Towers

Sounds as plausible as building the Broadway Line. You need money to back up grand schemes.

Quote:
“We are saying, we don’t want to develop that,” said Robertson.

“To actually fix it up, and use it as a greenway to connect north and south, which would be a fantastic addition for walking and biking, and also to keep our options open for light rail.”

“But there may be bulldozers in a couple of weeks taking out gardens along the Arbutus corridor – it is brinksmanship right now, and it looks like CP is trying to play chicken with us.”
http://www.vancouverobserver.com/new...lection-issues

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 5:56 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Sounds as plausible as building the Broadway Line. You need money to back up grand schemes.

http://www.vancouverobserver.com/new...lection-issues
Gregor knows that those gardens don't have a right to be there and he also knows that if CP clears away the gardens, it's easier to establish the corridor as a greenway and transportation corridor. He just can't say publically because it's politically unpopular to hold that opinion.

He'll let CP do the dirty work while he plays the opposition weakly.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 9:32 PM

"Weak" is definitely the word that has come to my mind, in terms of his response to this situation.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 11:01 PM

A "transportation corridor"? Like an LRT (at minimum) or a SkyTrain line?

And what comes with upgraded transit? Higher densities and transit-oriented development around stations to support ridership.

Do we really think that the gardeners and greenspace-squatters of the Arbutus Corridor will happily accept 5-6 storey apartments (at minimum) and possible high-rise-and-podium mixed use projects?

Yeah, right.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 11:15 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveston View Post
A "transportation corridor"? Like an LRT (at minimum) or a SkyTrain line?

And what comes with upgraded transit? Higher densities and transit-oriented development around stations to support ridership.

Do we really think that the gardeners and greenspace-squatters of the Arbutus Corridor will happily accept 5-6 storey apartments (at minimum) and possible high-rise-and-podium mixed use projects?

Yeah, right.
Well Kerrisdale already has a bunch of those 5-6 apartments, I can't see why more would be a problem.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 11:47 PM
More Towers

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveston View Post
A lot of the corridor already has apartment buildings.

From Granville until Arbutus along 6th Ave, it's pretty much all apartment and the Broadway corridor is just three blocks south. Then on Arbutus from Broadway until 16th Ave it's pretty dense with apartments, and will only get denser with developments like The Ridge.

Then from King Edward Ave to 33rd Ave you already have quite a few apartment complexes, you have the big Safeway site which will be redeveloped in the next decade and you have a big townhouse complex on King Edward and Arbutus. There is also a large high school 2 blocks west of Arbutus at what should be 30th Ave.

From 37th Ave until 41st Ave it's basically all apartments and commercial. There's also a big high school there.

From 41st Ave to 49th Ave the corridor is covered in apartments and lots of commercial. There's also a big high school and an elementary school two blocks east around 47th Ave.

This doesn't include the whole Kerrisdale area which spans a couple blocks on either side of the corridor from around 37th till 49th Ave...

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 12:50 AM

We want grade-separated rapid transit, having existing railroad tracks does not help with this.
Why is going down Arbutus better than going down Granville if it's going to be an RRT tunnel?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 1:01 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkz View Post
We want grade-separated rapid transit, having existing railroad tracks does not help with this.
Why is going down Arbutus better than going down Granville if it's going to be an RRT tunnel?
Because that right of way is perfect to build pillars along, instead of having to demolish buildings for it on the side of the street.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Because that right of way is perfect to build pillars along, instead of having to demolish buildings for it on the side of the street.
With the local NIMBYs, do you really think elevated is a realistic option?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 1:15 AM

i doubt we will ever see a raised Skytrain line down there arbutus corridor. more likely Granville will be tunneled under and that will be that.

on another note, if gregor is so intent on it being a future line and greenway why doesnt the city pony up some money and buy it from CP? everything has a price the city just needs to find that price. he shouldn't be complaining about how CP uses their own CP owned and controlled land.

time for the city to go to CP and offer to buy it from them. didn't Richmond buy the CP land down by railway ave? it is a real greenway. it looks nice what the city of Richmond did. if Richmond can do it, why cant Vancouver?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 1:17 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkz View Post
With the local NIMBYs, do you really think elevated is a realistic option?
No, I just mentioned it because other people brought it up. I'm not a big fan of elevated myself.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure