HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Absolute World South in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Mississauga Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Skyline regardless, these buildings are beautiful and are on their way to becoming far more famous than that tower they built in sweden a couple years back, can't remember the name of that one though.
It's the "Turning Torso".

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 3:06 AM

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 3:58 AM

i still think they should have putt bigger tits on this. haha

Old Posted Dec 28, 2010, 12:02 PM

No offense, but I think it's hideous. Someone has to say it. I think it's abusive and disrespectful to the city to treat it like your own personal canvas. Deconstructivism is disgusting.

Maybe you can hide it behind some other buildings eventually. Other than its height (which is an arbitrary measurement of worthiness), I don't see what it contributes to the city. Picasso was a great painter, but his style doesn't really work when you apply it to architecture.

Modernism and post-modernism (which is really just super-Modernism) can go to hell for all I care. I suspect this building will be embarrassing a generation from now.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
No offense, but I think it's hideous. Someone has to say it. I think it's abusive and disrespectful to the city to treat it like your own personal canvas. Deconstructivism is disgusting.

Maybe you can hide it behind some other buildings eventually. Other than its height (which is an arbitrary measurement of worthiness), I don't see what it contributes to the city. Picasso was a great painter, but his style doesn't really work when you apply it to architecture.

Modernism and post-modernism (which is really just super-Modernism) can go to hell for all I care. I suspect this building will be embarrassing a generation from now.
First negative comment ever about this building, or maybe because it just mentions Mississauga (FYI, most threads with the term "Mississauga" mentioned will only end up bashing the city).

And obviously, people will hate something eventually. Like the sprawl and auto-centric development was cool, but now, it's being detested. It's the same with everything.

I bet Mississauga will be flooded with deconstructive architecture in the future, and obviously that will not please everyone. But after the craze for this building, it's obvious that there will be A LOT more deconstructive architecture in this city. The city centre has lots of parking lots to fill in. Their transitway stations might be retrofitted to deconstructive standards. You'll never know.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 12:27 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Skyline regardless, these buildings are beautiful and are on their way to becoming far more famous than that tower they built in sweden a couple years back, can't remember the name of that one though.
That's maybe a bit of an overstatement. I prefer Turning Torso over these ones. These are cool and will probably have a reasonably prominent role in Canada's architectural history, but I don't think they will be placed on a pedestal like Torso. I find the concrete balconies here a little ugly. They take away from the glass. Turning Torso's white makes for a more consistent look across the structure.

As far as deconstructivism goes, it's like all architectural and art styles across the ages. There's good and bad examples in all architectural styles. For me, these are in the decent bucket.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 12:40 PM
gettin' rich!

the worldwide reviews I've seen do not agree with you.

woonq.com

far too angular, no sweeping curves, etc, etc.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 3:38 PM
be nice to the crackheads

^ What reviews have you been reading? The TT was a critical darling the year it was completed. It won numerous 'best of the year' awards, and pretty much started the whole 'turning' phase of modern architecture. Don't get me wrong, the Absoluteworld towers are nice, but they're to the Turning Torso like what One Liberty Place is to the Chrysler Building; nice, but not even close to the original.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 5:38 PM

Lolol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post

You people are funny. This building is f-ing gorgeous. More beautiful, daring, and bold than any architecture we've been able to get greenlit in New York in years, and better than anything being planned in Los Angeles by a long shot. This is the kind of architecture that puts a city on the global map. Bravo Canada, Bravo Toronto (Mississauga).

Old Posted Jan 1, 2011, 7:35 PM

These hideous buildings are overrated because they are located in equally hideous Mississauga. If they were located in Toronto, surrounded by real architecture, people would realize how ugly they are. The building is part of the rising pro-suburban, anti-urban backlash in the Greater Toronto Area that culminated with anti-urbanist Rob Ford and his election as mayor. Without such anger against the latte-drinking, biking, streetcar-riding, downtown spending elites, this building would not have received as much attention. This anti-urban anger will soon fade, and the appreciation of this building will surely fade along with it.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 9:52 PM

From today

from today

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 10:24 PM
gettin' rich!

Very awesome photos as always.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 11:48 PM

thx

Tower 5 moving up a level

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 7:28 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

wow, these towers never cease to amaze me! i don't think their popularity will decrease over time, in fact, it'll be another step stone in the path to future styles. and hell, if this is a suburb i'd love to have a suburb like this here!

as for torso, people need to stop comparing because they're not really the same tower, nor the same style. torso is a classier tower, and will always be the pedestal of twisting towers. absolutworld is much softer and organic than turning torso. and these towers blow everything else around out of the water! not to mention there's thinking behind the structures, not just an asymmetrical box with a crown above! round towers also offer more views, and the balconies are much larger, which from what i know, are big pluses in condominium living.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 1:57 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
This photo epitomizes the creature that is Mississauga.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 5:25 PM
gettin' rich!

I think in the future the downtown has a chance... with 2 LRT Lines and a rebuilt downtown core on a pedestrian scale. I might actually become "decent".

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 7:07 PM
Ex Houstonian

Ive always wondered, why did Mississuaga get this skyline in the first place, why would developers randomly start building very tall condo towers so far out from the city in just this one area. Its very strange to me.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 8:16 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^on the first day, the lord createth Square One Shopping Mall (in the middle of buttfuck nowhere)...

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 9:32 PM
BROOKLYN

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Ive always wondered, why did Mississuaga get this skyline in the first place, why would developers randomly start building very tall condo towers so far out from the city in just this one area. Its very strange to me.
I was wondering the same thing.

The last time I checked this forum these towers were just little stumps and now one of them is topped out!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
There are residential high-rises spread out all over Mississauga and the rest of suburban Toronto, mostly the 50s, 60s, and 70s. In Mississauga, there are significant high-rise clusters from 80s and 90s as well. Most of the buildings you see in that skyline photo from Jasonzed are actually built in the early 90s.

Residential high-rise construction in Mississauga and the rest of suburban Toronto is neither a recent phenomenon, nor is it confined to one location. Mississauga alone already has 241 buildings with 12 storeys or more. That's more that Seattle, Denver, Detroit, just to name a few cities.

Here's a picture from 2004 of the older buildings from the 50s and 60s outside the new City Centre (you can see the newer towers in the background as well):

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture