HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 9:04 PM

I posted this link earlier, but if you haven't already done so, watch this video all the way through:

http://player.theplatform.com/p/JC9B...pbgL?form=html

Nothing specifically about a new tower in this, but it does set the stage for what should be a pretty amazing world headquarters, in my estimation. It really makes the transition to a conception of Comcast as an international media, communications, and technology conglomerate, with all of the glitz and glitter that goes along with that.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 11:42 PM

Philly the next Energy Boom Town?

Here's an article that has caught international attention re Philly quite possibly being America's energy hub of the future. Yes, Philly.

http://http://www.forbes.com/sites/m...iness%3Aenergy

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
I posted this link earlier, but if you haven't already done so, watch this video all the way through:

http://player.theplatform.com/p/JC9B...pbgL?form=html

Nothing specifically about a new tower in this, but it does set the stage for what should be a pretty amazing world headquarters, in my estimation. It really makes the transition to a conception of Comcast as an international media, communications, and technology conglomerate, with all of the glitz and glitter that goes along with that.
That's a great documentary none-the-less

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiLaw View Post
Here's an article that has caught international attention re Philly quite possibly being America's energy hub of the future. Yes, Philly.

http://http://www.forbes.com/sites/m...iness%3Aenergy
Very nice article

Huge potential for Philly.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 12:17 AM

Philadelphia is in the best shape in years. Vacant lots are filling up, office space is filling up, and new office buildings will be coming. More people want to live in the city. Comcast will come through at 1801 Arch. West Philadelphia is booming. Maybe even the Hale building will someday be loved and renovated.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 12:19 AM

1800 Arch. Oops

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesian View Post
Philadelphia is in the best shape in years. Vacant lots are filling up, office space is filling up, and new office buildings will be coming. More people want to live in the city. Comcast will come through at 1801 Arch. West Philadelphia is booming. Maybe even the Hale building will someday be loved and renovated.
I would prefer the Hale building to have never existed. But i guess since it exists, i am for its renovated.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesian View Post
Maybe even the Hale building will someday be loved and renovated.

This may be closer to happening than you would think !

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 3:32 AM
BANNED

Giovanni Sasso:) 40 story tower Broad/Spruce

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsgrant View Post
Very nice. 40 floors would put it at a MINIMUM height of 450 feet. Hope that empty lot on Broad Street is finally developed.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Very nice. 40 floors would put it at a MINIMUM height of 450 feet. Hope that empty lot on Broad Street is finally developed.
This will be very visible in the skyline.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 8:52 AM

Update on the transportation bill....
Quote:
HARRISBURG - In a single afternoon, the state Senate on Wednesday did what the House had agonized over for months: approved a $2.3 billion transportation funding bill to repair aging highways and bridges, and bolster mass transit across the state.

The vote cements a major victory for Gov. Corbett by delivering the biggest transportation spending plan in 15 years, one to address critical infrastructure needs while creating tens of thousands of jobs.

"This legislation is key to the success of Pennsylvania and health and welfare of the region," said Sen. John Rafferty (R., Montgomery), chairman of the Transportation Committee.

The bill now goes back to the House for a pro forma vote Thursday afternoon. It could be signed by Corbett the same day.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/po...3zoXSzVZkqC.99
The article goes on to list some of the road projects that will affect the city:

Quote:
Road Projects in the Works

Repaving and widening Route 322 from Route 1 to I-95 in Delaware County. $216 million.

Rebuilding and widening three miles of road, and repairing 11 bridges and four retaining walls along Route 1 from Old Lincoln Highway to Route 413 in Bucks County. $216 million.

Reconstructing the road and bridges along Route 422 from Berks County to the Schuylkill in Chester County. $46.5 million.

Resurfacing and replacing pipes along Route 252 from the Delaware County line to the Montgomery County line in Chester County. $15.3 million.

Replacing the Route 422 bridge over the Schuylkill, Indian Lane, and the Schuylkill River Trail at Betzwood, and replacing the bridge carrying Route 23 over Route 422 in Montgomery County. $149 million.

Repairing the Chestnut Street Bridge at 30th Street in Philadelphia. $80 million.

Replacing Vine Street Expressway bridges, involving seven new structures carrying 18th Street, the Family Court Pedestrian Walkway, 19th Street, the Free Library Pedestrian Walkway, Benjamin Franklin Parkway, 21st Street, and 22d Street in Philadelphia. $110 million.

SOURCE: Pennsylvania Department of Transportation

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/po...3zoXSzVZkqC.99

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 12:37 PM

Great news. I'm disappointed to see that the bridge structures carrying JFK and crossing over 21st ST and 22nd ST aren't included in the plans. Also, these all seem to cater to automobile travel. What are the mass transit improvements? The SEPTA bridge heading west from CC into 30th Street Station is on its last leg. I know that's a different funding source so to speak, but talk about faulty infrastructure that will shut down the area.....And, Navy Yard transportation anyone?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rricci View Post
Great news. I'm disappointed to see that the bridge structures carrying JFK and crossing over 21st ST and 22nd ST aren't included in the plans. Also, these all seem to cater to automobile travel. What are the mass transit improvements? The SEPTA bridge heading west from CC into 30th Street Station is on its last leg. I know that's a different funding source so to speak, but talk about faulty infrastructure that will shut down the area.....And, Navy Yard transportation anyone?
Most of the bill is still obligated to roads and bridges but the total for mass transit has increased to about $500 million a year, of which SEPTA will receive about 75%. Now that there is money SEPTA will be able to author an updated capital plan. Improvements that septa plans to make will be in their plans, not the state's.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 1:54 PM

I'm not obsessed with a supertall. There are plenty of empty lots near the Comcast Center and I'd rather have a few towers than one supertall surrounded by empty lots. But as long as it brings jobs and it's not a twin, I'll be happy.

It won't be in the Navy Yard. Comcast wants to consolidate its space. It's the very reason they want a new building - b/c they have employees scattered around the city.

And I don't blame them for keeping their plans close to their vest. Judging by the fact that Liberty put out a statement refuting the rumors, it's pretty clear that it got to them and they want to avoid a repeat.

Glad to see the new development on South Broad. But surprised that it's a hotel, not residences. It will be interesting to see how it's financed and how that affects the proposal on 15th and Chestnut.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I'm not obsessed with a supertall. There are plenty of empty lots near the Comcast Center and I'd rather have a few towers than one supertall surrounded by empty lots. But as long as it brings jobs and it's not a twin, I'll be happy.
I feel the same way but its worth mentioning that the rumors generally agreed that the new building would be taller than Comcast. I do think they want to make a statement with the tower.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Lets hope this pans out. SLS is a great brand with locations in NYC, LA, and Miami.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 5:17 PM

Boyd Theatre Push-Back - of course

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post

It won't be in the Navy Yard. Comcast wants to consolidate its space. It's the very reason they want a new building - b/c they have employees scattered around the city.

And I don't blame them for keeping their plans close to their vest. Judging by the fact that Liberty put out a statement refuting the rumors, it's pretty clear that it got to them and they want to avoid a repeat.

Glad to see the new development on South Broad. But surprised that it's a hotel, not residences. It will be interesting to see how it's financed and how that affects the proposal on 15th and Chestnut.
At 40 floors it will probably be a hotel AND condos.

Also, Plenty of empty lots around Comcast?? Where? There are three that I can see but only 1800 Arch will be right for a Supertall that will make it look good in the skyline. Anywhere else it will look ridiculous.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 6:28 PM
BANNED

Joe Distefano has an article about the 40 story Broad +Spruce Tower.

"if all goes well, he plans to present the proposal publicly sometime after Dec. 8. Dranoff says there's no historical restrictions on knocking down the former Philadlephia International Records (Gamble & Huff) offices on the site, damaged and empty since a 2010 fire, or a second low-rise across the narrow Cypress St. alley, currently braced to keep it from collapsing."

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...ruce-plan.html

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Joe Distefano has an article about the 40 story Broad +Spruce Tower.

"if all goes well, he plans to present the proposal publicly sometime after Dec. 8. Dranoff says there's no historical restrictions on knocking down the former Philadlephia International Records (Gamble & Huff) offices on the site, damaged and empty since a 2010 fire, or a second low-rise across the narrow Cypress St. alley, currently braced to keep it from collapsing."

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...ruce-plan.html
Nice. Finally those blighted buildings will go and the empty lot will be built on

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations