HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 2:36 AM

Elevator?

I think access is supposed to be built in 2013. it's been awhile since I was there last.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Zipline idea for Westminster Pier Park won’t fly after all

By Grant Granger - New Westminster News Leader
Published: May 15, 2013 3:00 PM
Updated: May 15, 2013 3:32 PM

A report to council Monday said a leading zipline operator has advised the city the height of the viewing platform for the structure is not high enough for a safe commercially viable operation.

The industry standard for the landing platform requires it to be at least three storeys above the ground so the line can sag without hitting anyone on the ground. A landing platform that high off the ground means the zipline would drop from the viewing platform’s elevation of 15.5 metres to just 14 metres for the landing, which wouldn’t thrill potential operators or thrill seekers enough to make it viable.

Meantime, the report also said the city’s consultants, Associated Engineering, had to some additional geotechnical investigation and foundation design for the overpass, to meet seismic requirements. That’s pushed the projected completion date to October from September.

The city has budgeted $1.85 million for the project, which is to go to tender in June.

It is to include stairs and elevator connections from the foot of Fourth Street to the park.
http://www.newwestnewsleader.com/news/207619381.html

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 8:41 PM

here I had been thinking of the foot of Elliot Street for the top of the zipline, surely that would be high enough...

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 3:23 PM

I thought I mentioned this in a couple of weeks ago however in the park they are building beach volleyball courts on the far wharf. I heard this from a couple of workers about two weeks ago that were surveying lines and now the whole area is closed off and there are signs up now. The upper pathway is also closed and I saw a truck there too. Both there and a truck on the pathway near the far wharf. I'm sure they will not be ready for use until the weather starts getting warmer next summer, but no eta from the guys I spoke with.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 3:49 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

This thread is a few years old now, is this project still u/c or is it complete?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2013, 7:31 PM

I think considering the project plan, they are complete, but they keep adding enhancements to it that we're included in the recreation use plan for the park. You can probably mark as complete if its really eating at you.

The beach volleyball courts on the far wharf are complete it seems, and the far wharf is once again open to the public.

Not sure what they're adding next.

At the concession stand area they had up some easels with plans for the new bridge to connect to queens borough. Nothing we haven't seen before though I don't think. There was an envelope for people to submit questions, which I'm sure will get filled by all the NIMBYS who chose to live between a very noisy rail yard, a busy stretch of road, and a heavily travelled river.

I'm glad they seem to be moving along with that plan. I think the queens borough landing area needs to be easier to get to so if they had a shuttle bus running from new Westminster station to the Walmart or lowes that would be handy. As it is its quite a walk to and from the nearest bus stop to that mall and back. I've heard some complaints.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 7:36 PM

New Westminster puts brakes on overpass as costs soar -

http://www.royalcityrecord.com/new-w...-soar-1.628517

New Westminster approves plans to extend life of timber wharf at Pier Park -

http://www.royalcityrecord.com/new-w...-park-1.636423

Also:

New Westminster in no rush to redevelop Poplar Landing site -

http://www.royalcityrecord.com/new-w...-site-1.630891

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 6:26 AM

A few things related to Westminster Pier were tweeted by Jonathan Cote recently. The first two were yesterday about the Larco lands:

"Proposed waterfront vision for Larco includes expanded Pier Park, underground parking & 3 towers instead of 5."
https://twitter.com/jonathanxcote/st...63175902388224

"Existing zoning is for 5 30 story towers, current proposal is for 3 towers ranging from 25 to 45 stories."
https://twitter.com/jonathanxcote/st...70949201780736

Much nicer plan than the original five tower rendering, in my opinion. The extra green space next to the park is nice. It looks like the boardwalk will be extended along the outer edge as well.

Third tidbit was from today:

"Final Downtown Parking Study calls for removal of parkade between Begbie and 6th St within 1-3 years."
https://twitter.com/jonathanxcote/st...77589058785280

This will really open up that stretch of Front St and hopefully liven it up. It would be nice to see an elevated walkway constructed at the same time.
Google Maps link

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 8:03 AM

45 storeys right on the water?
That'll be a tough sell, won't it?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 8:09 PM

More on the Larco lands from the New West NewsLeader:

Quote:

New master plan for Larco land

by Grant Granger - New Westminster News Leader
posted Dec 2, 2013 at 11:00 AM

New Westminster and Larco Investments have come up with a new master plan for developing its waterfront site.

It's been nearly two decades since discussion on what to do with the Larco land located between the Fraser River Discovery Centre and Westminster Pier Park currently being used for parking. Previous plans called for five towers, with above-grade parking, but with nothing happening on it, the city went to Larco looking for more dynamic plans that could improve the connection between the waterfront and the Downtown, have better sightlines and still be economically viable for Larco.

The latest master plan revealed in a report to city council Monday calls for more open space, three towers instead of five to maintain sightlines, a dedicated park site of two acres, an extended waterfront esplanade, and a hotel.

It's expected work could begin on amending the zoning in early 2014.

The plans call for three tall, slender towers on the western portion of the site with about 800 residential units. Townhouses would be incorporated into the base of the third tower while retail would be in the other two.

Provision for a 150-room hotel would be in the middle tower, the development's signature structure. The report said the city recently did a feasibility study that determined a Downtown hotel near the Anvil Centre would be feasible.

A child-care facility could be included in tower 3, next to the park.

The towers would range from 25 to 45 storeys and be organized around a waterfront street—an extension of Quayside Drive—and public plazas connected by a 30-foot wide waterfront esplanade.

The park portion would take up about a third of the site and become a two-acre expansion of Westminster Pier Park. Infrastructure to allow boats to dock on the wharf would also be included.

The development's parking would all be below grade with a ratio of .9 spaces per residential unit including visitor and public parking. It's a ratio the report said is supported by the Downtown Parking Strategy.

Larco would provide 80 stalls for public use by the Fraser River Discovery Centre and the River Market.

Plans for the site have been in the works for nearly 20 years with Larco applying for a rezoning in 1994 that it received in 1996. In 2004, Larco returned to request the go ahead for a different version of development, which was approved in 2006. Both of those plans called for 1,000 residential units in five towers with above-grade parking.

The report said traffic modeling software shows the existing street network would not be significantly impacted by the three towers, although lineups could still be expected when trains are coming through.

It noted that while an overpass at Sixth Street would improve access, it would be very expensive, impact the proposed park extension and impede river views from Front Street. It suggests an at-grade crossing for pedestrians, cyclists and emergency vehicles at the foot of Sixth Street instead.

The report proposes the first open house for the plans be held at the River Market, Wednesday, Dec. 11, from 4 to 7 p.m., with another in early February. Presentations will also be made to the Downtown and Quayside residents associations, the Downtown Business Improvement Association and various other organizations and committees.
http://www.newwestnewsleader.com/news/234112961.html

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 5:28 PM

delete please, I just realized it was an announcement for past funding.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2014, 6:06 AM

They're prepping work on the pedestrian overpass that will connect the Parkade near 4th street to the upper level. To be completed this fall.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPaul View Post
They're prepping work on the pedestrian overpass that will connect the Parkade near 4th street to the upper level. To be completed this fall.

http://www.newwestcity.ca/business/p...icles/3089.php

http://www.newwestpcr.ca/database/fi...tre_spread.pdf

Construction has commenced for a City iconic pedestrian
overpass to connect the Westminster Pier Park and the
Front Street Parkade at Fourth Street. This overpass will
significantly improve park access by offering visitors with
a bridge over Front Street and three railway lines.
This overpass will provide park visitors with convenient
parking options and a connection to Columbia Street.
Completion Target - Fall 2014
WESTMINSTER PIER PARK PEDESTRIAN OVERPASS

Other Overpass Key Features include:
Accessibility
The overpass offers ‘Universal Access’ for all park users and their mode of transportation
(i.e. walking, cycling or the use of strollers, wheelchairs, scooters, etc.). The ‘Front-to- Front’
elevator allows you to exit in the same direction as entered so you do not have to turn
around. The evaluator operational hours will mirror park use and/or park washroom hours.
Lighting
The overpass will be well lite with overhead lights as well as imbedded lighting in the ‘bridge
section’ to promote accessibility and safety.
Size
The overpass will be roughly 30 metres in length and offer a 3 metre wide path to
accommodate two way pedestrian traffic.
Viewing Platform
The south end of the overpass will feature a look-out that will show off the beautiful
Westminster Pier Park and the mighty Fraser River.
Construction
To accommodate the construction, the Westminster Pier Park upper level
(the upper level of and behind Lytton Square) will closed to the public.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 6:30 AM

Overpass site today, my photo.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
Overpass site today, my photo.
Thanks! never seen it from that side before (everytime I go on that parkade I keep thinking it's going to collapse!)

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 3:57 PM
ARTchitecture

Oh wow! I had no idea they were building a bridge to the pier. That is great. Any chance it will be done and open by May 1?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Oh wow! I had no idea they were building a bridge to the pier. That is great. Any chance it will be done and open by May 1?
It will be! Open prior to May 1, 2015

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 10:56 PM
ARTchitecture

Awwwe 2015? Lame! I meant this year

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 8:26 PM

New Westminster urban beach

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 9:03 PM
ARTchitecture

That is freakin badass!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley