HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 12:25 PM

South Africa- Soccer City Stadium,Johannesburg

The Soccer City stadium in Johannesburg is to undergo a major upgrade for the 2010 tournament, with a new design inspired by traditional African pottery and a revamped capacity for 104 000 football fans. The stadium will hold the final and opening matches, five first-round matches, one second-round match and one quarter-final.

It will be completed end of 2008/ begining 2009.

It was constructed in 1987, becoming the country's first world class stadium solely dedicated to soccer. Soccer City accommodates the Safa offices and hosts most of the country's major soccer occasions: prime internationals featuring Bafana Bafana, impassioned derby matches between the giants, Chiefs and Pirates, and most Cup finals.

For 2010, the upper tier will be extended around the stadium, an encircling roof will be constructed, a new changing room complex will be developed, and new floodlights will be installed. It can seat 94 700.

Soccer City is set to be enlarged from its present seating capacity of 80 000 to 94 700 for soccer’s showcase event. Some significant changes will be made to the present two-tiered bowl for the World Cup: the upper tier will be extended around the stadium, while an encircling roof will be added. New changing rooms will be developed, and new floodlights installed.

Here are some pics of how it look at the current moment: January 2009

With the design being inspired by the African calabash, a decision based on the premise that the calabash is the most recognisable object associated with the African continent. Previously known as the FNB Stadium is the Soccer City Stadium which is put to host the opening ceremony, the opening and final matches to the 2010 Fifa World Cup. Soccer City will host the four first-round matches, one second round and one quarterfinal.
In preparations for the effective achievement of this, the stadium is undergoing an imperative revamp which its construction started during the early season of the year 2007 with completion set tentatively for May 2009.
Accompanying cost to this effective refurbishment achievement was previously estimated to amount to:
o R1.9-billion with the contract comprising of the partial demolition, rebuilding and refurbishing as well as providing all other associated facilities.
o The total costs have escalated to R2.2-billion following an increase in the structural steel prices and the effects of the exchange rates between the South African Rand and Euro since the roof structure had to be manufactured in Europe. All those comprising the economic environmental factors that affect any event or operations in any situation.
Originally the stadium had a capacity of about 88 000 but this is being increased to 94 700 which involves the extension of the upper tier around the stadium. The arrangement is put in the following manner:
o The stadiums 94 700 seats are being installed on the lower and upper tiers
o 99 more suites are added to bring the present number to 184
o Private boxes, VIP suites, eight television presentation studios, a soccer museum and a 300 seater restaurant will be built
o Added also is 15 000 car parking and a VIP parking is also included with a capacity of 4 055 cars.
The construction process began in January 2007 and was scheduled to be completed by April 2009; the programme for completion has been re-scheduled to May 2009.
Soccer City will be acquired a company to manage it post 2010 Fifa World Cup and the process of awarding management for the stadium remains at present in the pipeline. Like Ellispark, the stadium will also be hosting other sporting events and other events post 2010 World Cup in the continuation of its existence.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 7:58 PM
Information Age

Great design, I can't wait!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 2:50 AM
senior something

Interesting, in the rendering it almost has the same shape at the Beijing "Bird's nest", just with different cladding.

I'm curious, for the 2010WC, is SA building a lot of new stadiums, or simply using existing ones (i.e. Ellis Park in Jburg, ABSA in Durban etc).

thanks

I'm not the guy from Subway.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
Interesting, in the rendering it almost has the same shape at the Beijing "Bird's nest", just with different cladding.

I'm curious, for the 2010WC, is SA building a lot of new stadiums, or simply using existing ones (i.e. Ellis Park in Jburg, ABSA in Durban etc).

thanks
There are other new stadiums,here are sum of them :

Durban- King Senzangakhona Stadium - 2010 World Cup Venue

Note the iconic arch in the desisn

This is what the view in the stadium will look like.

There are more new ones but some are renovated like soccer city.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 9:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post

thanks
That was the Durban Stadium,Heres the Port Elizabeth Stadim :

The stadim at night

Heres the New Cape Town Stadium:

A cut out view of the stadium

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa