HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

50 United Nations Plaza in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 2:42 PM

Rapid progress now. Roughly 15 stories, only 30 to go!

50 UN Plaza April 2013 Construction Update

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 4:46 PM

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 11:17 PM

©tectonic

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 8:08 PM

Rising quickly. I'm guessing this will be topped out by late fall?

Thanks for the updates!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 11:27 PM
New Yorker for life

This one really is rising very fast. From what we see so far, I think it will turn out nicer than the renderings.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 3:19 AM

this one has flown under the radar 22 floors and cladding has started!!!

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 11:00 AM

Cladding looks promising.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 11:54 AM
New Yorker for life

They are making up for lost time.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 3:29 PM

I am liking the cladding, and it looks like they have used some quality glazing. I think this will turn out better than the renderings IMHO.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 4:39 AM

More cladding going up:

Photos from EastMillinocket @ WNY

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 5:18 PM

From the little I can see, I'll say the glass looks stunning thusfar. This has the promise of being 100% better than the illustrated rendering, thus adding to a nice complement of buildings on midtown's east side.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 4:54 AM
New Yorker for life

Video
http://www.businessweek.com/videos/2...ondos#r=lr-fst

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...-new-un-condos

Manhattan’s Zeckendorfs Embrace Global Buyers With New UN Condos

By Oshrat Carmiel
June 06, 2013

Quote:
The United Nations Secretariat building is visible from every floor of 50 UN Plaza, Arthur and William Lie Zeckendorf’s latest Manhattan luxury-condominium project. It’s also a potential source of buyers.

The development, a 44-story tower under construction on First Avenue near 46th street, will be the Turtle Bay neighborhood’s first new residential project in a dozen years and is poised to set price records for the area. It’s located across the street from the UN, which is built on land assembled by the Zeckendorfs’ grandfather more than half a century ago.

“If you’re a UN ambassador posted here, you can’t get a better location than this,” said Arthur Zeckendorf, standing in a hard hat on what will be the 19th floor of the condo building.

The project is a departure for the Zeckendorf brothers, whose dual limestone towers at 15 Central Park West set the standard for trophy apartments favored by Wall Street bankers and the rest of Manhattan’s local elite. At 50 UN Plaza, they are seeking to lure some of the wealthy buyers from around the world who are fueling demand and price increases at towers such as One57 and 432 Park Ave.

The latest project’s look also will be different, trading the signature style of Robert A.M. Stern -- the New York architect who designed 15 Central Park West and the Zeckendorfs’ 18 Gramercy Park -- for stainless steel and glass. For 50 UN Plaza, the developers turned to Foster + Partners, the London-based firm run by Norman Foster, whose credits include the UK capital’s city hall, Singapore’s Supreme Court and a terminal at Beijing Airport that’s among the world’s biggest buildings. The firm is also designing Bloomberg LP’s European headquarters in London.

International Style

“It was definitely a decision to do a very modern, international-style building, whereas 15 Central Park West and 18 Gramercy are Stern-designed, traditional Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue-type buildings,” said Arthur Zeckendorf, 53. “That was a major decision point: How to design the outside to appeal to your buyer.”

On the exterior, bay windows are stacked on top of one other, threaded together by a horizontal grid of stainless steel and forming three columns that run the length of the building. “Highly reflective” fritted, or textured, glass panels run vertically between the bays, giving the tower a jewel-like appearance, William Zeckendorf, 54, said during a tour of the site in April.

The windows offer residents the “perfect architectural angle” for viewing the UN Secretariat, his brother said as he stood at the edge of one of the bay protrusions, shielded at the time only by orange netting.

City ‘Oasis’

The entrance to 50 UN Plaza’s 6,000-square-foot-lobby, currently a tangle of cinderblocks, will feature a waterfall that will cost as much as $1 million to design and construct, William said.

“Fire and water are the elements of life,” Arthur said. “You come in from the city and it’s an oasis.”

The developers are in talks with a “top restaurant operator” to occupy a 2,000-square-foot venue at the base of the tower, with an open-air terrace facing the UN. The restaurant would provide room service and a private dining area for residents, William said.

New York is No. 1 on a list of “cities that matter” to high-net-worth individuals, according to the 2013 “Wealth Report” by Knight Frank LLP, a London-based real estate consulting firm. The city’s real estate has come “to epitomize the so-called safe-haven market, with overseas buyers looking to escape currency, economic, political and security crises by putting equity into tangible assets,” according to the report.

...at the UN site, the Zeckendorfs see interest coming not just from overseas but from across the street. Standing in their not-yet-finished project, Arthur looked north to Trump World Tower at 845 UN Plaza, and the twin cooperative buildings that his grandfather conceived at 860 and 870 UN Plaza.

“There will be some buyers from all of them,” he said. “We want to be the trade-up building in any given submarket.”

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 12:39 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 12:48 PM

©tectonic

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 4:20 AM
Come As You Are

The dark blue cladding is awesome.

And HOLY F*****G SH*T does Trump World Tower looks cool in that picture!!!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 6:38 AM

^ Took the words right out of my mouth. Pitch black monolith with orange glow coming from behind it, such a cool shot.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2013, 10:30 PM

Pics from today!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2013, 10:53 PM

You know, I've been a little disappointed with Foster lately---but I see know that this will be great. The massing, the skin, the color-------forgive me, Norman.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2013, 11:01 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 11:44 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

oh this is between the turkish embassy and the plaza. you can't get anymore prime than that for the united nations ambassadors. sounds like the cladding is quality, but i'm witholding judgement for now, lets wait a bit and see what foster can do here.

Last edited by mrnyc; Jul 5, 2013 at 2:17 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive