HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 12:59 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
I don't know. I have a hard time qualifying superstitions with varying degrees of madness. They're all mad. I don't see why one is any more so than the other.
Christianity is worse because of the kind of influence it has on society, and how much of that influence it has.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 2:50 AM

One solution: Colleges and universities should require that all students at least up to their 21st birthday either live in residence or with their parents, except for married students or those with children.

As for raising the drinking age that some suggest, it may have merit but would not have helped here - many of them that joined in were high school students.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 3:23 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
One solution: Colleges and universities should require that all students at least up to their 21st birthday either live in residence or with their parents, except for married students or those with children.

How the hell is that a solution?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
How the hell is that a solution?
More time to mature and more control, either with parents or a resident body. Married students and those with children should be exempt.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 4:08 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
More time to mature and more control, either with parents or a resident body. Married students and those with children should be exempt.
Problem: some group of people misbehaves somewhere. Some of them are university students.

Solution: oppressively dictate the living arrangements of hundreds of thousands of university students who had absolutely nothing to do with any of this.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 5:01 AM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
You do realize that most universities have nowhere near the residence capacity for this do you? And most people seek to move away from residence after first year for financial reasons more than anything else.

Luckily after moving out of residence first year I barely managed to make it through the rest of my program without violence. I know the urge to riot was high, but I guess I was just better than the rest?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 5:19 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:

What evidence do you have pertaining to the living arrangements of those involved in this incident? How do you know they were living on their own? And why would that be something that leads to rioting? Even completely ignoring the gross infringement of civil rights and the exorbitant cost to already underfunded universities that your "solution" would entail - just so far as "maturing" goes, I'd certainly argue that living on one's own and being independent does a whole lot more to further that than relying on parents or others would. That only delays the process.

I'm shocked that you actually need to people to explain to you why your idea is terrible.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I think Canadians blow things out of proportion because they don't deal with serious problems very frequently. A group of unfortunate community college kids torching a news van in London, Ontario is not much of a story.
I think its very deserving of a national news story. It's not a normal thing in our society/culture thus why it is deserving of the attention it received. Just because half of the world is uncivilized and out of control and this wouldn't get attention doesn't make it any less concerning.

Imagine if this type of civil obedience happened every single night a group of people went out drinking?

It's embarrassing and sad that this happens in Canada. "Rioting" in most places in the world happens due to serious political/government oppression and is a cry for attention. What did these cum stains have that was so bad in their lives, other than being total fucking losers that couldn't hold their booze?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 1:06 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
If anything Canadians are more likely to overreact to negative situations rather than "brush it under the carpet", because as has been mentioned, this is a pretty calm, boring country (in a political context).
I'd argue that people's strong reactions are reflective of a shock wave, as if something like this has never been seen before.

Give it five years without anything else happening and you'll actually have people who will deny that there has never been a riot in London, just like today many people have never even heard of and will deny that there was a riot on Yonge St. in downtown Toronto in May of 1992.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 1:18 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

As for raising the drinking age that some suggest, it may have merit but would not have helped here - many of them that joined in were high school students.
Another crazy uncle remark.

markastrella.blogspot.ca
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 2:03 PM

Quote:
What evidence do you have pertaining to the living arrangements of those involved in this incident? How do you know they were living on their own? And why would that be something that leads to rioting? Even completely ignoring the gross infringement of civil rights and the exorbitant cost to already underfunded universities that your "solution" would entail - just so far as "maturing" goes, I'd certainly argue that living on one's own and being independent does a whole lot more to further that than relying on parents or others would. That only delays the process.

I'm shocked that you actually need to people to explain to you why your idea is terrible.
In the Sandy Hill area are just east of downtown Ottawa some think that because many students share housing it does result in some issues now with that said i don't think anyone would say they should not be allowed to live on there own what but maybe less people in each house.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 2:24 PM
Closed account

You really need to use punctuation reidjr. It makes it very difficult to decipher what you are trying to say.

What sort of issues are people experiencing in Sandy Hill?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
You really need to use punctuation reidjr. It makes it very difficult to decipher what you are trying to say.

What sort of issues are people experiencing in Sandy Hill?
On saturday some students did party in the streets no there were not riots but there was issues.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 2:54 PM

Quote:

I have three words for anyone who thinks university/college residences are the solution to these problems.

Saugeen-Maitland Hall.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 2:59 PM
Back from the dead

Well Jeremy Haak , you tried .

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 3:08 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
God let it happen. Fuck God for always recklessly endangering his own creation, for which he often seems to have contempt.
As a certain Slayer frontman once said, "God hates us all"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Montreal Riot over Metallica Cancellation when Hetfield was burned followed by a typical Axil Rose no show. This was before my time though. Being a twenty year old this is why I don't drink. Because when I do I get that feeling of lost control, and I don't like it. Since I have become legal (2 years) I have had a few beers a handful of times.

Most kids my age really just don't care, especially when inebriated. I call them kids, because most of them are in fact kids when sized up. Anyone who through's 2x4's at police officers would be labelled kid in my opinion.

On a positive note, Fanshawe has already begun the expulsion process of many students. Enabling these kids to get a proper punishment for once in their lives.
Ah, yes, Montreal riots! I gotta search that up on Youtube lol

and DEFINITELY AGREED ABOUT THE KIDS. I'm 18, and everyone else my age are the definition of retarded. Its sad.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 10:22 PM
Still optimistic

Everyone likes to think they're the only sane one. Except me, of course.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 10:33 PM

Tomorrow downtown Montréal 100 000 to 150 000 mad students, to watch!! I'll be one of them!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaillant View Post
Tomorrow downtown Montréal 100 000 to 150 000 mad students, to watch!! I'll be one of them!
Now those are students with something valid to protest.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Now those are students with something valid to protest.
yep

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada