HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 5:49 AM
Posh

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
What is the general price range for condos, townhomes, single families etc in the development?
Not cheap.

Single family houses:
http://glenwoodpark.com/net/location...6807.0.78.6078

Condos are much better:
http://glenwoodpark.com/core/item/pa...6228.0.78.6078

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAtlanta View Post
nice homes. how far is this from downtown
closer than you would expect. roughly 3-5 miles due east of downtown just south of I-20. close to the zoo, oakland cemetery and the emerging 4th ward. i'd say it's a toss up which area is hotter - glenwood park/4th ward or west midtown (west of the connector).

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Whats even cooler is that this replaced an old cement factory.
Better still is that the HUGE Westtown project on the westside will be similar to this.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 3:03 PM
i ain't no bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
The prices seem more reasonable when you consider the quality and materials. As a former realtor for 16 years, they are easily some of the most attractive, well built homes I've seen. The open floorplans, trimwork, attention to detail and features of each home make it easy to see why they've sold so well.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
...but not bad either. $200-300K for a new construction condo and $500-700K for a new construction house? Maybe I'm just used to Chicago prices condo prices seem reasonable for a single income, and the houses seem reasonable for a dual-income household of experienced professionals....

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 12:19 AM

thanks for the pics!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 5:20 PM

Very nice pics.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 6:34 PM
West bench livin'

Amazing place. Wish we had this in Sacramento!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 2:39 AM

nice shots, Atlanta is really coming back!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 12:16 PM
Ms AA

Glad to see that some developers get it.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2007, 3:13 AM
North American

man. can't wait till i can afford it!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2007, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by front_range_guy View Post
There is a feeling of authenticity in these pictures that I have yet to see in the New Urbanist communities in Colorado. In Fact, the ones in Colorado Springs look like suburbs with the houses built really close together and the garages in the back.
Actually, most of the "New Urbanist" communities in Atlanta are like what you describe in Colorado Springs. We're not doing much better here either. This development is unique and special in Atlanta.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybird View Post
Actually, most of the "New Urbanist" communities in Atlanta are like what you describe in Colorado Springs. We're not doing much better here either. This development is unique and special in Atlanta.
What are some other projects that you consider to be new urbanist here?

There are several pure ones: Glenwood Park, Vickery, Woodstock, Seven Norcross, Inman Park Village/Dynamic Metals, Serenbe, Manget in Marietta, and a few others, but most are what I would consider hybrids in that they take elements of NU (e.g. compact development patterns), but then fail miserably in other parts (e.g. complexity of buildings, street types, and use).

Some hybrids, IMO, include Atlantic Station, Smyrna, Ridenour, Tributary, Lindbergh MARTA area, etc. Due to a variety of reasons, including land costs, market conditions, designer skills, and local zoning, these projects were not able to achieve the key principles established by the Charter for the New Urbanism. They are, of course, important projects, and are much better than what would have otherwise been built.

My firm designed Glenwood Park, and we are extremely pleased with the outcome. Unfortunately, the developer of it (Green Street) has found it very challening to create a similar project in the city due to rising land costs. People don't realize that intown land costs are so high that you are pretty much forced to go with less desirable materials and building forms to make the numbers work.

In fact, Charles Brewer second project is a large one we're working on in Central America. I doubt we'll see him involved in anything else in Atlanta, because the 3 to 4 story urbanism he loves (like Glenwood Park) is just a financial looser in the center city. Those that can succeed in these market condtions are companies like Lane, Urban Realty, Integral, etc, who focus on a slightly higher density product.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
What are some other projects that you consider to be new urbanist here?

There are several pure ones: Glenwood Park, Vickery, Woodstock, Seven Norcross, Inman Park Village/Dynamic Metals, Serenbe, Manget in Marietta, and a few others, but most are what I would consider hybrids in that they take elements of NU (e.g. compact development patterns), but then fail miserably in other parts (e.g. complexity of buildings, street types, and use).

Some hybrids, IMO, include Atlantic Station, Smyrna, Ridenour, Tributary, Lindbergh MARTA area, etc. Due to a variety of reasons, including land costs, market conditions, designer skills, and local zoning, these projects were not able to achieve the key principles established by the Charter for the New Urbanism. They are, of course, important projects, and are much better than what would have otherwise been built.

My firm designed Glenwood Park, and we are extremely pleased with the outcome. Unfortunately, the developer of it (Green Street) has found it very challening to create a similar project in the city due to rising land costs. People don't realize that intown land costs are so high that you are pretty much forced to go with less desirable materials and building forms to make the numbers work.

In fact, Charles Brewer second project is a large one we're working on in Central America. I doubt we'll see him involved in anything else in Atlanta, because the 3 to 4 story urbanism he loves (like Glenwood Park) is just a financial looser in the center city. Those that can succeed in these market condtions are companies like Lane, Urban Realty, Integral, etc, who focus on a slightly higher density product.

I was actually hoping he would focus on a slightly higher density project. I think something with buildings in the 5-12 story range could be just as sucessful as GP with just as much character.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post

I was actually hoping he would focus on a slightly higher density project. I think something with buildings in the 5-12 story range could be just as sucessful as GP with just as much character.
Both Charles Brewer and Hedgewood (the actual builder of most of the buildings at GP) have looked into it, but it's nearly impossible for them to compete with the big boys given the high land costs. The market just can't support the higher price points it takes to do mid-rise and not be fomulaic. You'd have to achieve high $300+ sf price points without any of the amenities and lower parking ratios. That just won't fly in this market - even at the best of times.

I know that several of the more progressive developers have looked at 4 to 6 story buildings in places like Fairlie-Poplar, Terminus, or the Memorial Drive corridor, but land costs are now so high (and in the case of Memorial Drive, beyond what is feasible by zoning) that you have to do the Novare/Daniel model (which you won't be able to do as succesfully as either or them) or go somewhere else.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2007, 12:13 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Atlanta is getting better all the time.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2007, 8:29 PM

Caleb- I love what y'all have done in Woodstock (and there is still so much more to do!). It's very similar to Glenwood Park (which is fantastic). I live close to the area and love to head over there and watch it progress.

And you mentioned Ridenour. A mate of mine lives in Ridenour. She likes it and I like some of the residential components (and the small office component isn't bad either)... but if it just was connected to the surrounding area better (Barrett Pkwy and Cobb Pkwy [highway 41])... it would seem so much more urban. I know that no one is going to be out walking on either Barrett or 41, but it just seems so lacking. And now they've begun construction on the retail and it's suburban style stip retail up at the Barrett entrance. Oh well, it's better than most stuff out this way in the suburbs... a step in the right direction, I guess.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2007, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
Caleb- I love what y'all have done in Woodstock (and there is still so much more to do!). It's very similar to Glenwood Park (which is fantastic). I live close to the area and love to head over there and watch it progress.
Thanks. Woodstock, IMO, is the most signficant NU project in the region. It's a fundamental reconceptualization an existing town. I can't wait until the stuff west of Main Street starts - that's going to be the really cool part.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2007, 10:01 PM

Very nice

Thanks for the update. We haven't had a chance to visit since the Southern Living decorator house was open. It's good to see it is living up to it's potential.

It is nice to see newbuild that isn't "Milani McMansion" like my neighborhood.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos