HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Post Office Redevelopment Tower [1] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

View Full Map

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 7:28 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmmcnam2 View Post
This would be the perfect space for them. In the RFP they mention that they are willing to use a mixture of new construction and existing buildings. The Post Office gives them millions of square feet plus there are many empty lots and underutilized buildings not far from there. There is quick access to all Metra lines (except maybe the electric) and most L trains, too.

The Post Office would be an iconic building with tons of amenities, newly refurbished, and right on the river. Amazon would be getting a "look at me" type building. And, they can build all around it. This is such a perfect location based on the RFP.
I agree - it's just a block from the Blue Line, for a single-seat ride to O'Hare in ~50 minutes, and less than a ten minute walk from two Loop stations serving Orange, Brown, Pink and Purple lines. Red Line is a bit far, but people could transfer at the Library stop. Ogilvey is about a 10 minute walk. I could see them running a shuttle on VanBuren and Harrison to serve the Lasalle and Metra Electric stations if it was really necessary, such a shuttle could also pick up Red Line and Green Line riders who didn't want to transfer.
My current active camera gear: Nikon D750, Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 zoom, Nikon 85mm f1.8G, Nikon 50mm f1.4D, Nikon 70-300mm f4-5.6, Nikkor 135mm f3.5 manual focus, Nikkor 55mm f3.5 manual focus, Nikon PB-4 Bellows. Collectible gear: Nikon F4s, Nikon D1, Nikon N4004s (my very first SLR)

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Can you imagine a big Amazon logo at the top right over the freeway?
id rather not

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 8:54 PM

Lot to like about the city too. Strong and growing tech sector means they have a ready talent pool. Nearby access to large universities with strong engineering programs. O'Hare has a long list of destinations, domestic and international, served via direct flights. Not mentioned by others but very important to Amazon would be the ready access to high speed data due to the confluence of fiber optic networks in Chicago and the large number of high capacity data centers.

The post office though might be too small for their purpose particularly if they're looking to put everyone under a single roof.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
Lot to like about the city too. Strong and growing tech sector means they have a ready talent pool. Nearby access to large universities with strong engineering programs. O'Hare has a long list of destinations, domestic and international, served via direct flights. Not mentioned by others but very important to Amazon would be the ready access to high speed data due to the confluence of fiber optic networks in Chicago and the large number of high capacity data centers.

The post office though might be too small for their purpose particularly if they're looking to put everyone under a single roof.
From the Tribune:

Quote:
One existing building that could be proposed is the former old main post office along the river and Congress Parkway. The long-vacant, hulking structure is only about one-third the size of Amazon's eventual requirement, but the property includes land that could be developed with additional buildings. New York-based developer 601W Cos. already has begun extensive construction work as it seeks office and retail tenants.
Chicago will bid for Amazon's second headquarters — and its 50,000 jobs

Also, Amazon spans approximately 30 buildings in Seattle, so I'm sure wherever HQ2 is located they'll likely occupy numerous buildings. It sounds like they're looking to create an urban campus.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 9:33 PM

They're definitely going to require a good number of buildings (8 million sq. ft.!!!).

This may be wishful thinking, but I'm wondering whether they've already been considering this site and in discussion with relevant parties. Many of their criteria are almost uncannily fitting for this location (~45 min to airport, near major highway, transit options, nearby housing opportunities and greenfields (Related site??)). If the Post Office has 2.6m sq ft and the size is zoned for an additional 5 million, the total 7.6m puts it almost right at the potential goal.

The only problem is they initially want only 500k-1m. Would amazon want to be in a building with other tenants, especially if that building will eventually be one of many in a large campus?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 12:53 AM

God damn that would be huge. Makes the original 'pipe dream' for this site seem no so far fetched

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
God damn that would be huge. Makes the original 'pipe dream' for this site seem no so far fetched
The original pipe dream would have to happen to accommodate it. How sweet would a 2000' Amazon tower here be? Would be a fitting sister to the Sears named after the last retail innovator of this magnitude...

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 1:31 AM
Team Alinghi

Quote:
The original pipe dream would have to happen to accommodate it. How sweet would a 2000' Amazon tower here be? Would be a fitting sister to the Sears named after the last retail innovator of this magnitude...
A megatall Amazon tower in Chicago just seems right to me...

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 2:46 AM
All-American City Boy

Chicago and Amazon are meant for each other.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 6:10 AM
Biased in a good way?

A greenfield/close proximity "campus" sounds more logical to me. With tech companies that value culture, a 2000 foot vertical tube doesn't sound very inviting and collaborative, not to mention the range of uses they probably want.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 6:55 AM

On the other hand, if this doesn't nab Amazon, and stays a white elephant for several more years, I have some random ideas. The country's first urban format, transit-accessible Carmax (irony, right?), or the future site of the City auto pound, after they get kicked out by Vista from Wacker.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer2019 View Post
A greenfield/close proximity "campus" sounds more logical to me. With tech companies that value culture, a 2000 foot vertical tube doesn't sound very inviting and collaborative, not to mention the range of uses they probably want.
The only major tech company left who really thinks this way is Apple. Yea Google wants a big-er campus in Mountain View but they occupy lots of urban real estate across the country/world.

Another urban campus sounds like what they'll (Amazon) want since that's what they built/still are building in Seattle. They don't seem to be height averse.

Last edited by k1052; Sep 8, 2017 at 12:10 PM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 12:54 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Of course shortly after that tower was built, they entered a long, painful decline ...
My current active camera gear: Nikon D750, Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 zoom, Nikon 85mm f1.8G, Nikon 50mm f1.4D, Nikon 70-300mm f4-5.6, Nikkor 135mm f3.5 manual focus, Nikkor 55mm f3.5 manual focus, Nikon PB-4 Bellows. Collectible gear: Nikon F4s, Nikon D1, Nikon N4004s (my very first SLR)

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickeNES View Post
In the PD document there's a mention that part of the connection would be built, but the CTA would be responsible for actually connecting it to the existing station. Who knows why they didn't get them to pledge to build the whole thing.
The city will happily build that connection to land Amazon now.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeWee View Post
No, the campus model is dying. Look at the nice tower Salesforce built.
Not to mention a clever activation of the riverfront/some adjacent property (Holiday Inn lot for starters.... please) could accommodate an "urban campus" feel.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Not to mention a clever activation of the riverfront/some adjacent property (Holiday Inn lot for starters.... please) could accommodate an "urban campus" feel.
And, along with the lot that little strip of trashy neglected storefronts, and heck, take down the Holiday Inn at the same time. Clean sweep.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 6:48 PM
THAT Guy

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 6:52 PM
THAT Guy

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Looks really nice.

The old 'sugar factory' building seem to still be standing to the far left.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 11:51 PM

Isn't that Riverwalk plaza where the first tower was proposed under the PD?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development