HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 4:51 AM

Quantico, VA

Quantico is a town on the Potomac River in Prince William County. The population is around 500.

Quantico is surrounded on all sides on land by the Marine Corps Base Quantico. The town is dominated by Marine activity, with barber shops, restaurants, bars, and other businesses for day-to-day needs. While the town is civilian land, the only way into the town is through the base, requiring ID; by train, with service from Amtrak; or by boat from the Potomac River.

Businesses on Potomac Avenue.

Houses on 5th Avenue.

Houses and buildings on Potomac Avenue.

Houses on 4th Avenue.

The Quantico Masonic Temple, on Potomac Avenue. The structure was built in 1925.

A restaurant on Potomac Avenue.

The Marine Shop, on Potomac Avenue at Broadway Street.

Businesses on Potomac Avenue.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 4:51 AM

Surrounding the town of Quantico is the Marine Corps Base Quantico. The base was established in 1917 on the site of an old Confederate battery and a Navy shipyard that built freighter and oil tankers, and later Navy ships for World War I.

The United State Marine Corps Memorial Chapel, on Embry Loop. The church was built in 1957.

Lejeune Hall, on Mullen Avenue. The structure was built in 1957 on a former rifle range and serves as the base's headquarters. Lejeune Hall was named for Lt. Gen. John A. Lejeune, who served from 1890 to 1929 and is called the "Marine's Marine".

Phipps Hall, on Barnett Avenue. Several buildings on Barnett Avenue have a simple architecture like Phipps Hall.

Little Hall, on Barnett Avenue. The building housed the Marine Corps Museum from 1940 to 1960 it now houses a bowling alley and movie theater, among other things.

Outside of the base is the National Museum of the Marine Corps, which opened in 2006. The museum is the most-visited site in Virginia.

The museum's design is modelled after the Marine Corps War Memorial, which in turn is taken from the famous picture of the flag raisers at Iwo Jima, on February 23, 1945. This is a replica of the original Marine Corps War Memorial, which is located at Arlington National Cemetery. Visitors to Marine Corps Base Quantico see this replica along US Route 1 at the Main Gate entrance.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 2:38 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Never stopped there, although I've been through on the train a few times, and the Marine museum is very visible from I-95.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 2:50 PM

Thanks for posting. I have never seen Quantico, but heard of it and passed nearby countless times.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 2:52 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Thanks for that!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 6:11 PM
Eurosceptic

fascinating tour, matt

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 7:58 PM

Location: Born and raised Clevelander, former Atlantan and Dallasite, and now 'probational' New Yorker, ha
Wow never thought I'd see a tour of Q-Town on here! Thanks.

Many 'fond' memories of slugging through the Quigley, fighting off sleep in class, and most of all looking out on the Potomac from the chow hall in the peaceful mornings wishing I was fishing from one of the bass boats parked off the bank instead of putting up with the coming torment for the day, lol. ...good times!

This is the Quigley:

www.UrbanImpressionist.com ______ Twitter: @UrbanImpress ______ UrbanImpressionist on Facebook______ UrbanImpressionist on Youtube

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpressionist View Post
Wow never thought I'd see a tour of Q-Town on here! Thanks.

Many 'fond' memories of slugging through the Quigley, fighting off sleep in class, and most of all looking out on the Potomac from the chow hall in the peaceful mornings wishing I was fishing from one of the bass boats parked off the bank instead of putting up with the coming torment for the day, lol. ...good times!
My cousin graduated from OCS there a few weeks ago and he said staying awake in class might have been the hardest thing he went through.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2011, 3:07 PM
Beer Stampede

Great thread, Matt!!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos