HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
The Amtrak property was never pitched by the city to Amazon as a primary site for HQ2. But it's been viewed as a plus for potential additional space or long-term growth. And as the article makes clear, that hasn't changed in anyone's mind, including Amtrak's, as indicated in the language I already quoted:

"The request does not entail any work on new development sites surrounding the station, partly to leave Amtrak’s options open in case Amazon selects sites in University City for its HQ2 project, Toll said.

"In its pitch to Amazon last year, Philadelphia officials highlighted the availability of Amtrak’s property as a supplement to the area’s other development sites.

“'Should Amazon select University City as the location of its second corporate headquarters, there is an additional 58 acres of adjacent Amtrak property north of the station for potential air rights development,' Toll said."
Agreed with the quotes. I think it was a very long view on what they wanted to do with the additional 58 acres adjacent to 30th street station. And, kind of a courtesy to Brandywine and Drexel in case Amazon had any interest in branching over to the 30th street station development so that one developer can accomplish one vision for Amazon as oppose to two separate developers competing with opposing visions. All speculation of course. And, the possibility is numerous, but I'm trying to read between the lines. 50k workers can net you quite a number of buildings, design plans, inter-connectivity, urban campus feel, etc. Think big is what these guys were doing, but it if doesn't materialize, then it was an exercise in futility.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 8:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
"The request does not entail any work on new development sites surrounding the station, partly to leave Amtrak’s options open in case Amazon selects sites in University City for its HQ2 project, Toll said.

“'Should Amazon select University City as the location of its second corporate headquarters, there is an additional 58 acres of adjacent Amtrak property north of the station for potential air rights development,' Toll said."
I keep reading these quotes and shuddering, thinking that Toll Brothers was somehow roped into the redevelopment of 30th Street Station. Thankfully it's just some person with the last name Toll!

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
I keep reading these quotes and shuddering, thinking that Toll Brothers was somehow roped into the redevelopment of 30th Street Station. Thankfully it's just some person with the last name Toll!
And definitely not one of the "Brothers"--her first name is Beth.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Didn't have to. Knew previously Amtrak stopped looking for a master developer for 30th when Amazon was in the search. Amtrak wanted to give Amazon first dibs on what they wanted in the plan. So, when I saw the title of the article, I knew/postulated that either (1) Amazon didn't pick the development of 30th station and Amtrak was left to move forward on their search again, or (2) Amtrak has inside info that Amazon HQ2 was going to a different site.

Bottom line, it doesn't mean Philly is out of the running. We have SY or Navy Yard as the other possible sites.
So, you didn't read the article and you don't know what sites were actually offered for HQ2. Other than that, great stuff here.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
So, you didn't read the article and you don't know what sites were actually offered for HQ2. Other than that, great stuff here.
Did you? I do know which sites were offered for HQ2, smart ass! Don't bother to think outside of the box, just recount what you read and accept it, right?

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Did you? I do know which sites were offered for HQ2, smart ass! Don't bother to think outside of the box, just recount what you read and accept it, right?
"Amazon didn't pick the development of 30th station"

Why would they? It was never offered. The sites are Schuylkill Yards, the Navy Yard, and uCity Square. Maybe this will help: https://public.philadelphiadelivers.com/sites

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 3:50 PM

Quote:
"Amazon didn't pick the development of 30th station"

Why would they? It was never offered. The sites are Schuylkill Yards, the Navy Yard, and uCity Square. Maybe this will help: https://public.philadelphiadelivers.com/sites
Never said they picked 30th St. Station. See my post #17638 where I mentioned Schykill Yards (SY) and Navy Yards as sites offered to Amazon. Should Amazon pick uCity Square or SY, Amtrak was getting ahead of itself and putting it on the table that they have acreage for development in the long term since it's in the vicinity of the uCity and SY. That's all, no official visit to 30th st. site from Amazon officials.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Never said they picked 30th St. Station. See my post #17638 where I mentioned Schykill Yards (SY) and Navy Yards as sites offered to Amazon. Should Amazon pick uCity Square or SY, Amtrak was getting ahead of itself and putting it on the table that they have acreage for development in the long term since it's in the vicinity of the uCity and SY. That's all, no official visit to 30th st. site from Amazon officials.
Hold up.

This is you: "when I saw the title of the article, I knew/postulated that either (1) Amazon didn't pick the development of 30th station and Amtrak was left to move forward on their search again, or (2) Amtrak has inside info that Amazon HQ2 was going to a different site.

Bottom line, it doesn't mean Philly is out of the running. We have SY or Navy Yard as the other possible sites."

You're not saying that it was offered up as a possible site for Amazon? Ok.

Whatever, the entire 30th Street District plan is dependent upon the success of Schuylkill Yards and a fickle Congress. Of course it's a dream, but it's a dream based in reality. I'm really not sure why everyone is poo pooing it all of a sudden. The plan is great. It's forward thinking. It literally won an award. I encourage everyone to read it if you haven't. https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...8.5x11_web.pdf

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Hold up.

This is you: "when I saw the title of the article, I knew/postulated that either (1) Amazon didn't pick the development of 30th station and Amtrak was left to move forward on their search again, or (2) Amtrak has inside info that Amazon HQ2 was going to a different site.

Bottom line, it doesn't mean Philly is out of the running. We have SY or Navy Yard as the other possible sites."

You're not saying that it was offered up as a possible site for Amazon? Ok.

Whatever, the entire 30th Street District plan is dependent upon the success of Schuylkill Yards and a fickle Congress. Of course it's a dream, but it's a dream based in reality. I'm really not sure why everyone is poo pooing it all of a sudden. The plan is great. It's forward thinking. It literally won an award. I encourage everyone to read it if you haven't. https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...8.5x11_web.pdf
See link: https://www.yahoo.com/news/philly-am...124651570.html

When the bid becomes public, we should be able to see the full picture of the bid for the 3 sites.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 5:27 PM

Edit: I just looked at the redacted bid. I wasn't aware they were offering land to develop around the station; I had assumed it was just office space within the building. I guess that changes my thought process a bit.

Last edited by Boku; May 22, 2018 at 5:41 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 2:36 PM

I reading this article, then I decided let me read it again an hour later after all the dust settles and this is what I got from it.

We won't know what Amazon will decide because they haven't officially said what they plan to do. Until Amazon actually says where they will go its all speculative an its not really good to lock yourself into a concept if you can't say the plans have been signed and the process has actually begun.

I think its just best to wait until Amazon says for sure what they plan to do and let it rest on that.

They may not pick us; they may pick us and use all the land in a particular location; they may tailor things a particular way to where they pick us and somehow plans have to be made outside of what they choose to use or expect them to use; judging by this I can't say what Amazon will do.

This one thing is clear from this article; retail and space in 30th Street Station needs to be marketed. The location around 30th Street has potential for whatever goes there. And from what I can tell the plans for that area especially north of the 30th Street Station will need a lot of detailed plans that will constantly have to be updated to fit the area; to fit the market; to fit who wants to build in the area; but also it depends on how far out in the timescale things will go there.

I'm not so sure; well lets see; we're talking about an area that isn't scheduled to be built out for several decades; its a continuous project; so taking this one deal with Amazon an using it to define the entire Schuylkill Yards project doesn't make much sense to me so lets just see what happens; do business as usual; always have more than one plan and move on from their.

The good news is Amazon just stated they visited all 20 cities so they seem to be taking everyone serious.

What is the date Amazon will make their announcement of a 2nd Headquarters

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 6:27 PM

New CDR is up.
A lot of cool projects, including Blatsein's big Piazza adjacent plan.

http://www.phila.gov/CITYPLANNING/PR...ignReview.aspx

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 8:08 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noam215 View Post
New CDR is up.

Very awesome. I have to say, Bart hit a homerun with this one; this is a sexy, sexy design. Now if only he took this approach at Broad and Washington, too...

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
Very awesome. I have to say, Bart hit a homerun with this one; this is a sexy, sexy design. Now if only he took this approach at Broad and Washington, too...
Dude that is, dare I say it....amazing. This combined with all of the other projects in the area is going to make NoLibs/Fishtown even more desirable than it already is. If I didn't already buy a house in the burbs....

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
Anyone know what firm is the architect on this project?

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
Anyone know what firm is the architect on this project?
BKV Group
https://bkvgroup.com/

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:54 PM

That looks amazing and may actually activate the Piazza to its full potential. Anyone know the timeline?

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:06 PM
Your 2016 AAC Champs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noam215 View Post
New CDR is up.

Oooh build build build. The only downside is that it'll leave a funky kite-shaped parcel wedged (heh) between two parking ramp entrances at 2nd and Germantown, but that should be fixable in time.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Today, 1:26 PM

Wow, this is cool; nice news

Old Posted Today, 3:06 PM

Re: CDR

56 units at 2120 E York St - right near Philadelphia Brewing Co and Martha bar - is also very significant. This will be modular construction and will also have ground floor retail.

They were initially planning on re-using the existing factory at this site. I was hoping for a re-use, but am excited about this density.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations