HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 10:57 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
I'm gladly trading poor viz for more snow. I just use yellow lenses and ride the trees. Plus, I've found that the viz can change pretty quickly here.
Yeah but I don't ski, but sled, I need to be able to see trees, stumps, rocks, creeks, I've hit many a creek. I just read this thread because I love to see the powder situation in the mountains, and seeing some of my dad's recent sledding pics, the snow's great right now.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
Yeah but I don't ski, but sled, I need to be able to see trees, stumps, rocks, creeks, I've hit many a creek. I just read this thread because I love to see the powder situation in the mountains, and seeing some of my dad's recent sledding pics, the snow's great right now.

Except for creeks, I got the same things to look out for. Mind you, I'm not traveling at the same speed. The snow is fantastic and only getting better.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 6:18 PM

Anyone been to Castle lately? I think I might go there this weekend.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
Anyone been to Castle lately? I think I might go there this weekend.
I haven't yet, but I do know that they're getting an insane amount of snow in the last week.

Castle is my favourite local hill now that Fortress is no more. I've had some epic days at Castle. I've also had some bitterly cold days there.

Bring your snorkel.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 2:34 PM
BANNED

Any recommendations on good places to eat in Banff, what are the ski conditions like at Lake Louise? Will be staying in Banff from March 31 until April 4.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Any recommendations on good places to eat in Banff, what are the ski conditions like at Lake Louise? Will be staying in Banff from March 31 until April 4.
There is a place called Fuse in Banff, that is supposed to be really good. Saltlik is also a good spot. They're a little more pricey though.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 3:41 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
One of my personal faves is the Magpie & Stump - awesome tex-mex place if you like that sort of thing.

Louise is Louise - very little natural snow this year (do they ever get enough?). Was just out last Friday and while the morning was a bit sketchy (icy as all get-out) it got pretty decent in the afternoon as the sun came out and softened up the snow somewhat. We stuck to the backside and Larch for most of the morning as a result.

A friend who went a few days earlier complained that it was "spring conditions", but overall it didn't seem any worse than any other Alberta hill. No one here's been getting the snow that the BC hills have seen this year (Castle, Fernie, etc seem to get a fresh foot every week at minimum).

Louise has quite a lot of dirt and gravel (and rocks!) peeking through the snow on the frontside, so I was happy to be on rentals that day. Then again, Sunshine's had some rough parts most of this season too. The back bowls had a lot more snow than I was expecting, considering their steepness - but they're shaded for the warmer parts of the day of course. Huge moguls everywhere.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 10:43 PM

Louise pretty much sucks for snow this year, same with sunshine. Whitefish is still the best snow I've had so far this year.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 3:21 AM

Fernie still has pretty good snow. I was there on Sunday and there were no rocks or dirt showing anywhere. They didn't have much fresh stuff, but could still find some decent stuff if you looked in the trees. And yes, Whitefish has been the best snow I have skied this year.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 5:48 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Fernie still has pretty good snow. I was there on Sunday and there were no rocks or dirt showing anywhere. They didn't have much fresh stuff, but could still find some decent stuff if you looked in the trees. And yes, Whitefish has been the best snow I have skied this year.
Fernie's had some outstanding snow this year, so I'm told. I just wish it wasn't so far away.

One of the benefits of being a skier is that you don't need/want quite the same level of fresh powder that a boarder does. Even still, this year's been pretty much a wash. Nothing can compare to last season of course.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 7:06 AM

Went to Panorama last weekend and it was pretty good, spring like conditions on Sat. with hill softening in the afternoon and sunny warm weather - even got a bit of goggle tan. It snowed all day and through the night on Sunday, at least a few inches. Unfortunately I had to come back because monday morning would have been sweet. I'm thinking of going to Sunshine or Louise this weekend, anyone know which has better conditions at the moment?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 3:10 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
I'm thinking of going to Sunshine or Louise this weekend, anyone know which has better conditions at the moment?
The safe bet, like always: Sunshine.

Depending on how the next weather system moves through, they may see a pretty good dump over the next 2 days as well.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 6:24 PM

I skiied sunshine monday and it was great.
4" of new snow overnight sunday and it was snowing most of monday.

I also got a report from my friends that tuesday morning saw some fresh stuff also and it was warmer and sunnier than monday. Too bad I had to work.

If I was going this weekend I would go to sunshine again.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 1:27 AM
BANNED

Thanks for the replies to my question, so Sunshine it is!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 5:24 PM
BANNED

Back from my Alberta ski holiday, skied Sunshine, Louise and Nakiska, conditions good at all resorts, virtually no lift lines but weather was somewhat cool. Seemed that every second skier I talked to was from the UK. Banff seemed a little deserted compared to other times I had been there, are Aussies the only ones employed in Banff nowdays? Calgary is one happening city!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 6:06 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Back from my Alberta ski holiday, skied Sunshine, Louise and Nakiska, conditions good at all resorts, virtually no lift lines but weather was somewhat cool. Seemed that every second skier I talked to was from the UK. Banff seemed a little deserted compared to other times I had been there, are Aussies the only ones employed in Banff nowdays? Calgary is one happening city!
Spent the weekend at Sunshine and can confirm pretty much what you've said. There are a LOT more UK people out lately than normal - could be an indication that we're just in the late season. European resorts don't hold their snow as long as we do, or so I'm told. And yes, everyone working in Banff is Australian, or so it seems.

You're from Winnipeg and you found the weather cool? Sure it's not +10 but for skiing it was pretty nice out.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 6:14 PM

I have noticed the "British Invasion" all season at the local hills. I have talked to a few of them when riding up the chair and they have said there are some screaming deals for flight, hotel and lift tickets to Banff now being offered in the UK.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 9:47 PM

Quote:
I was at Louise on Saturday and it was beautiful! about 12C at the base. I even got a bit of a sunburn while sitting on the patio at the Kakanee Kabin watching a half decent band.

All the hills in western Canada are manned by Aussies, apparently some sort of deal their gov't struck with ours and the hills to give them temporary work visas to work there.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 10:46 PM
Round Head

Sunshine was amazing on Monday. perfect snow and weather. Great time.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 11:14 PM

I achieved a state of skiing nirvana last week....Utah. Alberta skiing is no longer worthy of my attention.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia