HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: How many people will inhabit the Winnipeg CMA in 2026?
850,000-874,999 4 9.09%
875,000-889,000 9 20.45%
890,000-904,999 17 38.64%
905,000+ 14 31.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Dec 28, 2022, 7:53 PM

Lol in every single thread somehow crime is brought up into the discussion. At this point we should just have a separate thread for all our prevailing crime and social issues.

Anyways back to the topic. I think a 1.8% yearly growth is impressive even if that means we are growing at a slower rate then the rest of the country. Growth comes in ebbs and flows and I’m sure at some point we’re going to punch above our weight. At least we don’t have negative growth to deal with like the Midwest and rust belt down south.

Nevertheless, we should easily pass the 905k mark by the next census should this be our baseline. In fact we might get to 1 million by 2030 at these rates which is exciting to see.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2022, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post

Nevertheless, we should easily pass the 905k mark by the next census should this be our baseline. In fact we might get to 1 million by 2030 at these rates which is exciting to see.

That is exciting. I am glad that (atleast i hope)I will be here to see that happen.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2022, 9:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

[QUOTE=Luisito;9825757]
Quote:

You made it personal and keep doing so... Why are you worried about what I do?? If my comments bother you ignore them. I obey laws, pay my taxes. I try to be a good neighbor and help people when i can and i have the right to say what ever the fuck i want to. Other than that i don't owe you or anyone else anything let alone an explanation. Winnipeg is a disaster when it comes to crime. That is a fact.

Who said anything about throwing more money at police? Crime goes down when people take responsibilty of their own. I have my own kids and family to worry about. People in Quebec and Hamilton are not going out doing anything. They are just being normal regular citizens.
Holy crap Luis! Just reading this thread out of curiosity.

Sometimes it seems like you're the only adult in the room, amigo!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2022, 10:38 PM

I wonder how much of the new growth winnipeg is grabbing and how much the bedroom communities are like niverville, oak bluff, la salle, Selkirk, stonewall and headingley ect...

Old Posted Dec 29, 2022, 3:37 PM

[QUOTE=Luisito;9825757]
Quote:

You made it personal and keep doing so... Why are you worried about what I do?? If my comments bother you ignore them. I obey laws, pay my taxes. I try to be a good neighbor and help people when i can and i have the right to say what ever the fuck i want to. Other than that i don't owe you or anyone else anything let alone an explanation. Winnipeg is a disaster when it comes to crime. That is a fact.
Again, no one is debating that. I'm trying to get a sense of what exactly you'd like to do about it because yelling into the internet void isn't particularly productive. Isn't that the point of a forum like this, discuss ideas? If all you want to do is get stuff off your chest then a therapist would be better suited for that.

[QUOTE=Luisito;9825757]
Quote:
Who said anything about throwing more money at police? Crime goes down when people take responsibilty of their own. I have my own kids and family to worry about. People in Quebec and Hamilton are not going out doing anything. They are just being normal regular citizens.
Lots of people have families and still take the time to volunteer and do something positive for their communities, you're just making excuses. Judging by how much you post on here you seem to have plenty of free time.

So, what do you propose? We wave the magic "responsibility wand" across Winnipeg and get everyone to "take responsibility for their own"? lol. When people aren't taking this responsibility, it's often (not always, but often) because they're struggling with poverty, substance abuse, and poor mental health. A huge portion of our social ills in Winnipeg involve extremely poor people from reserves who end up homeless in the city. Programs to deal with these things objectively reduce crime. These are actual solutions. If I'm getting aggravated and hostile it's because you've made about 30 posts on the topic without offering anything other than "grrr crime is bad grrr." Yeah it's bad. So what do we do? Apparently just bitch on SSP.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2022, 4:32 PM

[QUOTE=Acajack;9825873]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post

Holy crap Luis! Just reading this thread out of curiosity.

Sometimes it seems like you're the only adult in the room, amigo!
LOl Nice to see you on this side of the forum mon ami.

Last edited by Luisito; Dec 29, 2022 at 11:53 PM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2022, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post

Again, no one is debating that. I'm trying to get a sense of what exactly you'd like to do about it because yelling into the internet void isn't particularly productive. Isn't that the point of a forum like this, discuss ideas? If all you want to do is get stuff off your chest then a therapist would be better suited for that.

Lots of people have families and still take the time to volunteer and do something positive for their communities, you're just making excuses. Judging by how much you post on here you seem to have plenty of free time.

So, what do you propose? We wave the magic "responsibility wand" across Winnipeg and get everyone to "take responsibility for their own"? lol. When people aren't taking this responsibility, it's often (not always, but often) because they're struggling with poverty, substance abuse, and poor mental health. A huge portion of our social ills in Winnipeg involve extremely poor people from reserves who end up homeless in the city. Programs to deal with these things objectively reduce crime. These are actual solutions. If I'm getting aggravated and hostile it's because you've made about 30 posts on the topic without offering anything other than "grrr crime is bad grrr." Yeah it's bad. So what do we do? Apparently just bitch on SSP.
LOL More personal attacks and gas lighting. Great way to discuss things. Have a nice day.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2022, 4:43 PM

I take no sides in this debate but can you guys stop messing up the quotes so much?!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2022, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I take no sides in this debate but can you guys stop messing up the quotes so much?!
LOL Will do.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2022, 9:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

If I can stand up for Luis here, why should he be personally responsible for finding and implementing solutions for serious societal problems?

He's allowed to point out issues and complain all he wants.

We live in a representative democracy and it's the job of elected public officials to exercise leadership and find and implement solutions about matters that citizens are concerned with.

And debates like these are part of what leads citizens to bring the issues to candidates, and vote for those they think will set things right.

Weird that I have to explain this to literate adults in 2022.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2022, 10:49 PM

My own opinion is that the city should develop 1 or 2 first nation communities within the perimeter that would be similar in size to Waverly West. These communities could provide first nation hospitals, self policing of their own people, tools and opportunities for their own business developments in real estate and other ventures. It could provide them resources to build wealthier and more successful lives for their youth rather than trying to eek out an existence on a remote canadian version of a Siberia reserve in the middle of nowhere with no chance of a successful or bright future. So many young first nation peoples come to Winnipeg to escape the misery of the reserves but when they come here do not have the resources or family support that others in the city do have. As a result our crime here is much higher and a big reason why we have to dedicate so much more resources to fighting crime than that of Hamilton or Quebec City. Until we can provide a fertile spot of opportunities for first nation peoples inside the city the vicious cycle will continue to happen of people trying to flee to Winnipeg for a better life but not setup to succeed and sadly many lead to a life of crime and or poverty.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Look at the murder rate of Hamilton and Quebec City, both similar size to Winnipeg or the murder rate of similar European sized cities. Winnipeg has a disproportionate amount of crime and homicide rates!
When looking at the numbers of murders in a city, the city but not the metro is included. Winnipeg has a couple hundred thousand more than QC or Hamilton. Nevertheless per capital, Winnipeg’s numbers are a fair bit greater, I think.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
When looking at the numbers of murders in a city, the city but not the metro is included. Winnipeg has a couple hundred thousand more than QC or Hamilton. Nevertheless per capital, Winnipeg’s numbers are a fair bit greater, I think.
LOL Does including the metro areas of those cities change anything? Quebec city has what, 1 murder this year so far? In total mumbers we are second only behind Toronto which is a city many times larger than Winnipeg.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If I can stand up for Luis here, why should he be personally responsible for finding and implementing solutions for serious societal problems?

He's allowed to point out issues and complain all he wants.

We live in a representative democracy and it's the job of elected public officials to exercise leadership and find and implement solutions about matters that citizens are concerned with.

And debates like these are part of what leads citizens to bring the issues to candidates, and vote for those they think will set things right.

Weird that I have to explain this to literate adults in 2022.
Thank you Acajack.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 5:24 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
LOL Does including the metro areas of those cities change anything? Quebec city has what, 1 murder this year so far? In total mumbers we are second only behind Toronto which is a city many times larger than Winnipeg.
Why do you keep bringing up QC or even Hamilton for that matter. Has it ever occurred to you that maybe, just perhaps, there might be some sort of demographic differences between these cities that may account for the about 50,000 % difference in the number of murders that have occurred between QC and Winnipeg this past year? Or are their cops just that much better, or perhaps their surgeons that much better with emergencies? Or maybe Quebecers just such at fatally stabbing and shooting other folks. I dunno.

You whine a lot, but you really don't add anything substantive to any conversation.

I will probably get you all up in a huff about sweeping things under the rug, but despite this 50,000% difference in murders in Winnipeg, have you ever personally felt that you were gonna get killed here? Personally, I don't live in fear about getting murdered in Winnipeg. Why? Because I don't hang out with or amoung murderers. And the vast majority of other people don't either.

If you are that concerned, as others have said, do something about it. Voice your concerns with people that can make a difference. Donate to causes that treat the symptoms. Organize your block to help combate property crime.

Or hey, just keep bringing up the same thing over and over again in a message board.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Why do you keep bringing up QC or even Hamilton for that matter. Has it ever occurred to you that maybe, just perhaps, there might be some sort of demographic differences between these cities that may account for the about 50,000 % difference in the number of murders that have occurred between QC and Winnipeg this past year? Or are their cops just that much better, or perhaps their surgeons that much better with emergencies? Or maybe Quebecers just such at fatally stabbing and shooting other folks. I dunno.

You whine a lot, but you really don't add anything substantive to any conversation.

I will probably get you all up in a huff about sweeping things under the rug, but despite this 50,000% difference in murders in Winnipeg, have you ever personally felt that you were gonna get killed here? Personally, I don't live in fear about getting murdered in Winnipeg. Why? Because I don't hang out with or amoung murderers. And the vast majority of other people don't either.

If you are that concerned, as others have said, do something about it. Voice your concerns with people that can make a difference. Donate to causes that treat the symptoms. Organize your block to help combate property crime.

Or hey, just keep bringing up the same thing over and over again in a message board.
I was replying to some one. That 50,000 doesn't matter. Winnipeg has more murders than cities with millions more people, like Montreal for example.

And no I don't feel like i'm going to get murdered here. Does that mean we shouldn't care or talk about it? That seems to be a major problem here "oh it doesn't effect me so I don't care". I have suffered property crime and theft though... on numerous occasions. That is growing problem (even in nice areas) that has received some attention on the news but not nearly enough.

I believe there is an ignore function on here so please feel free to put me on ignore if you like. 👌

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 3:44 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

The mindset that murders don't matter much "because it's all gang members and nothing will ever happen to me" is what has turned so many cities into war zones.

If things get bad enough eventually the liveable parts of the city become smaller and smaller.

I don't know why someone would think that not feeling safe in a huge chunk of one's city (half or more?) is no big deal.

There is also the question of innocent victims with stuff like stray bullets. Unless people think that street gangs all put their members into advanced marksmanship courses before they admit them.

And of course the ugly racial undertones that are often present when of course the vast majority of perpetrators and victims don't look like you.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I get what you're saying but I don't think the concerns can be dismissed or swept under the rug either.

The current state of downtown and fairly major, once-thriving commercial districts (Selkirk Ave., the West End, North Main) can be chalked up to a fairly considerable extent part due to the discomfort that people feel over the potential of crime and violence. I mean, sure, most people who go to Donut House on Selkirk don't get stabbed. But there is a valid concern that something unpleasant might happen around there that probably won't happen if you go to, say, Kildonan Place.

It's great that we can retreat to our high socioeconomic status neighbourhoods and be immune to this stuff in our personal lives. But there is a collective price being paid here in terms of the overall livability of the city we live in.

EDIT: Acajack beat me to it. I like how he put it... "If things get bad enough eventually the liveable parts of the city become smaller and smaller." I think we have been seeing that to a fairly considerable degree. I guess the trend in Winnipeg is not that much different than what we're seeing in the rest of the continent with the stratification of cities along class lines, but it is arguably more pronounced here.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 4:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I get what you're saying but I don't think the concerns can be dismissed or swept under the rug either.

The current state of downtown and fairly major, once-thriving commercial districts (Selkirk Ave., the West End, North Main) can be chalked up to a fairly considerable extent part due to the discomfort that people feel over the potential of crime and violence. I mean, sure, most people who go to Donut House on Selkirk don't get stabbed. But there is a valid concern that something unpleasant might happen around there that probably won't happen if you go to, say, Kildonan Place.

It's great that we can retreat to our high socioeconomic status neighbourhoods and be immune to this stuff in our personal lives. But there is a collective price being paid here in terms of the overall livability of the city we live in.

EDIT: Acajack beat me to it. I like how he put it... "If things get bad enough eventually the liveable parts of the city become smaller and smaller." I think we have been seeing that to a fairly considerable degree. I guess the trend in Winnipeg is not that much different than what we're seeing in the rest of the continent with the stratification of cities along class lines, but it is arguably more pronounced here.
Sadly you're kind of the front-runners in Canada for this stuff.

I am definitely pulling for you guys and part of that is because I think that almost all cities will be facing similar challenges in the not-too-distant future.

If we haven't already, it's mostly due to luck as opposed to some wisdom we have that other cities like Winnipeg lack.

And I truly don't think we'll likely do any better than you guys if something like this hits us hard as well.

Some places may be marginally better than others but when it comes to deep social problems the leadership is largely ineffectual all across the country.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 4:25 PM
the first stamp is free

But again, this isn't some sort of winnipeg specific phenomena.

It occurs everywhere.

News flash, neighbour x in city y is considered to be undesirable for the middle class.

Again, there are demographic challenges that Winnipeg faces that other cities don't face. That's a reality. Typing "Winnipeg crime sucks" over and over and over on a message board and adding that you fully support the police isn't adding anything more constructive to the conversation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan