HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
I hope some of those flights to Mexico come back : /

The south terminal is now publicly owned but privately operated by Highstar Capital. They manage a few other "budget terminals" around the world. I think they have a 40 year lease. I don't think that has much to do with the signage. They might not have wanted to spend a bunch of money on new signs when the highways were going to get worked on anyway.

Still, really annoying you will still have to go through the Riverside light to get to 183 SB and the South Terminal.
Hopefully they do come back, not under VivaAerobus though. Preferably Aeromexico or Volaris.

I thought the South Terminal is owned by Lonestar Airport Holdings?

The way to get to the South Terminal and signage need to drastically improve.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
Hopefully they do come back, not under VivaAerobus though. Preferably Aeromexico or Volaris.

VIV only flew to CUN (WN has it now), MTY (which, it has been rumored on this here forum, AM wants to start up once the expansion is done) and there was a blink-and-you-missed-it for a few months to PVR.

I’d love to see the flights VIV said they were gonna run but never got around to adding to, but that’s probably just a pipe dream.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khowaga View Post
VIV only flew to CUN (WN has it now), MTY (which, it has been rumored on this here forum, AM wants to start up once the expansion is done) and there was a blink-and-you-missed-it for a few months to PVR.

I’d love to see the flights VIV said they were gonna run but never got around to adding to, but that’s probably just a pipe dream.
To be honest the chance of all the flights coming true is nil.

That is correct with your rumor. Volaris has been doing terrible and will pull out of AUS as soon as they have to pay for it. GDL was never a route that could survive on an all economy A319/320. Aeromexico has the better fleet for this route and can make it a success like MEX. Deploying RJ's to start and upgrading when necessary.

All of these rumors are for when the east extension opens. I wonder what kind of explosion we will really see when it opens. I for one hope all of these Delta rumors are true because they are my airline of choice. Aeromexico and Delta are partners so if Delta expands I would say we can expect Monterrey and Guadalajara to appear.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 8:22 PM

Quote:

The South Terminal Agreement is with Highstar Capital. Lonestar Airport is a subsidiary they created to manage the project.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 8:25 PM

Quote:
To be honest the chance of all the flights coming true is nil.

That is correct with your rumor. Volaris has been doing terrible and will pull out of AUS as soon as they have to pay for it. GDL was never a route that could survive on an all economy A319/320. Aeromexico has the better fleet for this route and can make it a success like MEX. Deploying RJ's to start and upgrading when necessary.

All of these rumors are for when the east extension opens. I wonder what kind of explosion we will really see when it opens. I for one hope all of these Delta rumors are true because they are my airline of choice. Aeromexico and Delta are partners so if Delta expands I would say we can expect Monterrey and Guadalajara to appear.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html
I am selfishly hoping for MTY. It’s a much better airport for domestic connections within Mexico than MEX. MTY is smaller, and the flights run on time, whereas MEX is hopelessly overcrowded, and late in the day domestic flights are often delayed for hours. The new airport in MEX is already behind schedule on construction, and there’s even been talk of killing the project.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 8:41 PM

Quote:
I am selfishly hoping for MTY. It’s a much better airport for domestic connections within Mexico than MEX. MTY is smaller, and the flights run on time, whereas MEX is hopelessly overcrowded, and late in the day domestic flights are often delayed for hours. The new airport in MEX is already behind schedule on construction, and there’s even been talk of killing the project.
Mexico City is a powerhouse with much more to offer and many more connections than Monterrey. While I agree that Monterrey is the better airport Mexico City is the better city. If I recall correctly MEX is at 98% capacity, even with no GA allowed to land. They desperately need the new airport to open if they are hoping to continue to grow. I am really surprised that airlines are still willing to expand at MEX with the prospect of traffic delays growing. The Gov needs to keep the project moving along, these contraction delays are hampering new routes and airlines.

I am very glad to see that the MEX route is finally doing well. http://www.austintexas.gov/news/aero...ico-city-route

Rumor has it Delta is considering AUS-MCO.

Quote:
The South Terminal Agreement is with Highstar Capital. Lonestar Airport is a subsidiary they created to manage the project.
Gotcha, thanks for clearing things up.

Last edited by masonh2479; Nov 17, 2017 at 11:08 PM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 9:35 PM

Flew in and out this weekend (or, out and in, I guess) and I noticed that the newfangled “exit” doors from the secure zone (to baggage claim, etc) were, once again, operating at less than full capacity. This wasn’t the first time I’ve had the experience where only one of the two is operational.

When I left town on Saturday the east exit was shut completely. Last night, two of the three gates at the east exit were open but the third was still closed.

What gives? Why are they so easily broken? Wasn’t the whole point of installing these to supposedly make things easier?

I also saw (highlighted in this week’s construction update) that the east food court renovation has started. I kind of like the way all the new concessions are coming together, between Salt Lick and 2econd Bar and Grill, and the new Austin Article and Tyler’s. I do kind of miss the openness of the central terminal but there’s no question this is a bettter use of the space.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
I do kind of miss the openness of the central terminal but there’s no question this is a bettter use of the space.
I think this along with the ridiculousness that is the west most security checkpoint highlight the value in the main terminal northern extension possibility for the next expansion project. They just need more concourse and the northern terminal extension would allow most of the security checkpoints (1 probably isn't going anywhere) to be absorbed into the main concourse as new bigger checkpoints are assembled in the northern extension. I wonder if it's possible to fill in a 2nd floor in the current open space between the upstairs entrance and security checkpoint.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
I think this along with the ridiculousness that is the west most security checkpoint highlight the value in the main terminal northern extension possibility for the next expansion project. They just need more concourse and the northern terminal extension would allow most of the security checkpoints (1 probably isn't going anywhere) to be absorbed into the main concourse as new bigger checkpoints are assembled in the northern extension. I wonder if it's possible to fill in a 2nd floor in the current open space between the upstairs entrance and security checkpoint.
Either that or replicate what they did with the East Terminal infill on the west side. They have the room.

And, yeah, it’s kind of counterintuitive that they closed the big checkpoint next to the Southwest counter but left that one open...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Either that or replicate what they did with the East Terminal infill on the west side. They have the room.

And, yeah, it’s kind of counterintuitive that they closed the big checkpoint next to the Southwest counter but left that one open...
Good point. It won't quite add quick as much space as the east side but it would make a big difference with the security checkpoint on that side. I photoshopped the existing bridge on the westside gap so help so the difference in space.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 7:19 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

What's the latest rumors that are floating around? Got pretty quiet up in here. Latest info on gate construction?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
What's the latest rumors that are floating around? Got pretty quiet up in here. Latest info on gate construction?
There was a small public update a week ago that wasn't posted on the site. The current concessions overhaul at the airport reminds me of what it was like when they built Rockrose at the domain. A lot of Austin-ey stuff in an area you don't really expect.

Quote:

The East Food Court, across from Gates 7 and 8, is now closed for preparations to introduce new food options to passengers flying Austin. Tyler’s Austin Warehouse retail store has opened across from Gate 10, offering Austin area inspired gifts and apparel.

East Food Court renovation begin
Construction walls are up at the East Food Court located across from Gates 7 and 8. This marks the closure, construction and introduction of new food and retail concepts in the East Food Court. Along with coffee and pastries offerings, the new concepts include The Peached Tortilla, Juiceland, and a bar featuring brew from the Live Oak Brewing Company.

The new concepts will replace Hoover’s, Hill’s Café, Nuevo Leon, and Wok & Roll. Auntie Anne’s will remain open during some renovation work and later will convert to MAD Greens. Temporary Grab & Go kiosks will operate in the area during the food court renovation and restrooms and art gallery near the location will remain open during the construction.

The East Food Court is part of the airport’s overall refresh plans for stores and concessions. Restaurants that recently completed construction and opened for customers include Second Bar + Kitchen, IVINI’s Italian and the expansion of Salt Lick Bar-B-Que. Annie’s Café and Bar on the west side of the Barbara Jordan Terminal is currently undergoing renovations, estimated for completion later this year.

Tyler’s Austin Warehouse opens

Tyler’s Austin Warehouse, an Austin themed retail store, opened on Nov. 4 at a new 2,211 sq. ft. location. The store is located across from Gate 10 in the Barbara Jordan Terminal.

The Austin souvenir and apparel store has a high beam painted mural roof, dotted with iconic city locations. Inside customers see bold AUS (the Austin airport code) lettering, serving as shelving. The store offers top brand names such as local outdoor products made by Yeti, along with international bestsellers, Billabong and TOMS, and specialty men’s and women’s clothing.

Local merchandise offered by Tyler’s include Lalika Soaps, Inc. products such as body and face cream, lip balm and natural soaps -- handcrafted, and made in Austin. Other products include Austin based Exit 82 items such as stone coasters, pet tags, coffee cups and key chains. Wrapped To Wear custom jewelry made in Austin and Cedar Park-based Coover Caramels candy and chocolates are also available.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 8:34 PM
Resident Moron

Not that I ever eat there or that it is the same food, but I will be sad for the last reminder of Wok and Roll to disappear. Lived next door to the Burnett original for years before it turned to a Torchy's.

I mean, it wasn't good, but it was cheap.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Delta has added a flight to SLC in response to the removal of a flight to SEA.

AUS-CLT on American is now all mainline.

British Airways 747 service will run until October 27th, after which the 789 will return for the winter season. The 747 will likely return for spring/summer 2019. Eventually it is very likely that the aircraft will be settled as a 787-10. British Airways 747's will all be gone in 2024.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 10:57 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
...Eventually it is very likely that the aircraft will be settled as a 787-10. British Airways 747's will all be gone in 2024.
Says who? That's years away. Why not the B773ER? I don't think anyone can say: "very likely" at this point.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Says who? That's years away. Why not the B773ER? I don't think anyone can say: "very likely" at this point.
BA cares a lot about fuel efficiency (like all airlines) and while it is a surprise that the 747-400 (10230 kg/h) is making a show instead of the Boeing 777-300ER (7500 kg/h) this might be due to Norwegian, I'm sure BA does want to compete with them, even if their clientele seem different. The 747 provides more economy capacity than the 773 and is fit for the job even thought fuel burn is so much more. BA could be seen as putting on a show.

In the near future (a day I hope will never come) BA will retire the 747, the plane to fill the void..the 773 and A350-1000. The 773 and A350 will be put into service on old 747 routes, and I would like to think Austin will be left out as the 747 service is not year round.

36 747s will be going out, BA has 12 773s and will receive 18 A350-1000 aircraft. The 12 787-10's BA will receive will be deployed to seasonal 747 routes like AUS. While fuel burn estimates are not official from Boeing yet, one can assume flying a 787-10 is more profitable than a 777-300ER. Boeing 787-8 (4900 kg/h), Boeing 787-9 (5600 kg/h). The 787-10 is rumored to be seating around 240-260PAX (773 seats 297). BA had many 747 routes with more demand than AUS, many non 747 routes too, they all need to be filled with planes that have more capacity.

So yes while the news is not official, one can very well assume the 787-10 is destined for AUS, let us all rejoice though, that we will be seeing the Queen before she departs. Composites make a huge difference in passenger comfort so I would favor the 787-10 over the 773, a much better experience on the dreamliner.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 3:26 AM

I throw away so much money at JuiceLand. I'm both happy and sad that I'll now be able to grab it at the airport.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 1:11 PM

Quote:
BA cares a lot about fuel efficiency (like all airlines) and while it is a surprise that the 747-400 (10230 kg/h) is making a show instead of the Boeing 777-300ER (7500 kg/h) this might be due to Norwegian, I'm sure BA does want to compete with them, even if their clientele seem different. The 747 provides more economy capacity than the 773 and is fit for the job even thought fuel burn is so much more. BA could be seen as putting on a show.

In the near future (a day I hope will never come) BA will retire the 747, the plane to fill the void..the 773 and A350-1000. The 773 and A350 will be put into service on old 747 routes, and I would like to think Austin will be left out as the 747 service is not year round.

36 747s will be going out, BA has 12 773s and will receive 18 A350-1000 aircraft. The 12 787-10's BA will receive will be deployed to seasonal 747 routes like AUS. While fuel burn estimates are not official from Boeing yet, one can assume flying a 787-10 is more profitable than a 777-300ER. Boeing 787-8 (4900 kg/h), Boeing 787-9 (5600 kg/h). The 787-10 is rumored to be seating around 240-260PAX (773 seats 297). BA had many 747 routes with more demand than AUS, many non 747 routes too, they all need to be filled with planes that have more capacity.

So yes while the news is not official, one can very well assume the 787-10 is destined for AUS, let us all rejoice though, that we will be seeing the Queen before she departs. Composites make a huge difference in passenger comfort so I would favor the 787-10 over the 773, a much better experience on the dreamliner.
I have a feeling a lot of it is going to have to do with how the route does this summer - considering BA has been down slightly this year vs last in terms of load factor, it’ll be interesting to see how full the 744 will be.

BA doesn’t usually publish their schedules so far out — seeing the 744 return in summer 19 will almost certainly depend on the Summer 18 performance. The 772 appeared on BA’s preliminary schedules once or twice before the route was actually operated with that aircraft, so if results are disappointing it’s not unprecedented that it’ll be redeployed to another route.

Personally, I’d rather on the 789 than the 744 - the 744 is iconic but dated and rather cramped on the inside. Seeing the A350 at AUS would be kind of cool too!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 3:44 PM
Resident Moron

For purely selfish reasons, please keep/return to the dreamliner. It is the most comfortable international flight you can get IMHO.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 7:53 PM

Quote:
I have a feeling a lot of it is going to have to do with how the route does this summer - considering BA has been down slightly this year vs last in terms of load factor, it’ll be interesting to see how full the 744 will be.

BA doesn’t usually publish their schedules so far out — seeing the 744 return in summer 19 will almost certainly depend on the Summer 18 performance. The 772 appeared on BA’s preliminary schedules once or twice before the route was actually operated with that aircraft, so if results are disappointing it’s not unprecedented that it’ll be redeployed to another route.

Personally, I’d rather on the 789 than the 744 - the 744 is iconic but dated and rather cramped on the inside. Seeing the A350 at AUS would be kind of cool too!
Possibly so, I still have a feeling that upgrading to a 747 with the most economy is some attack against Norwegian. If the service does well this summer is sure could return as a 747 next year. I would rather be on a 789 too but the history and looks of the Queen are hard to ignore, it will be cool seeing here. I hope the A350 comes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
For purely selfish reasons, please keep/return to the dreamliner. It is the most comfortable international flight you can get IMHO.
Maybe we will get on of the refurbished 747's someday. I sure hope so.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin