HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 7:31 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
My work gets its coffee from Van Houtte and it is actually pretty good. It's the only coffee that I enjoy black. And I don't actually like coffee. The deli up the street has a Keurig machine and I only like two of its flavours (out of, like, 9 so far).

I still don't think that most of the people buying Tim Horton's on a regular basis can really afford it, and I am sure most of them would re-think what they're doing if they received one large monthly bill for it instead of 20 small daily bills.
How lucky you are. I personally haven't worked in too many different places, but if there is one thing my friends always complain about, it's the quality of their office coffee. By the way, I think the "small bill vs. large bill" thing applied to just about every type of service. How many people would opt for the 3 gig data plan they so desperately "need" if they were presented a single annual bill of $960 instead of several monthly bills of $80? How much driving would people be willing to do if they were presented an annual fuel bill of over $3000 instead of weekly bills of $60?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I've found office coffee to vary widely, depending on where I've worked. There's no lack of people out there who only drink Starbucks, and wouldn't be caught dead drinking Tim Hortons - not because of taste, but because of the image. They tend to be the overly sophisticated young professionals crowd who go out of their way to spend their weekends in Toronto because whatever city they live in isn't good enough for them.
So the same kind of people who buy Macs and iPhones at a 30% premium because they wouldn't be caught dead with a Latitude or a Galaxy? Or the ones who spend $36,000 on a gutless BMW 320i with an automatic transmission and cloth interior because they wouldn't be caught dead in an equivalently-priced V6 Camry? I think I know what you're talking about, they're folks who would gladly pay a premium for self-gratifying products that help repress some sort of burning inferiority complex.

You forgot to mention the people who do actually live in Toronto, but never leave because they're convinced every other city in Ontario is some sort of hick town

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 12:20 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
How lucky you are. I personally haven't worked in too many different places, but if there is one thing my friends always complain about, it's the quality of their office coffee. By the way, I think the "small bill vs. large bill" thing applied to just about every type of service. How many people would opt for the 3 gig data plan they so desperately "need" if they were presented a single annual bill of $960 instead of several monthly bills of $80? How much driving would people be willing to do if they were presented an annual fuel bill of over $3000 instead of weekly bills of $60?
I get 6 gigs for $50 a month. I decided that the $2,146 dollars I would pay over three years for the cellphone and all the features that come with it was fairly reasonable. I don't think anyone in Thunder Bay even offers a plan over $50 a month right now...

But I wasn't thinking of comparing it to other bills, I was thinking more of comparing it to other food we buy. I don't think Bluenote would be willing to spend even $150 a month to get Tim Horton's quality coffee from home. But then again, maybe he would be. Maybe that's just pocket change to him.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 1:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

wpmedia.o.canada

0:30. Thirty fucking coffees, and I have not won anything yet. Despite this year's double-sided roll.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 1:18 PM

I just won my first food item after also about 30 tries. Did they lower the odds this year or something??

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 1:20 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^yeah, you work twice as hard (roll on both sides) and win less often. What a way to generate goodwill for your brand.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 1:40 PM

I won a donut last week. I am going to get a walnut crunch......

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 2:16 PM

It will take a lot more than a Roll Up The Rim contest for me to drink this Coffee. How bout make better coffee!!!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK STAR View Post
It will take a lot more than a Roll Up The Rim contest for me to drink this Coffee. How bout make better coffee!!!
It won't happen. Most Canadians, and certainly Timmies Nation, don't like coffee.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK STAR View Post
The dark roast is pretty nice. Not sure how many places are still serving it but I had a cup of it in London last weekend

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 3:03 PM
Mooderator

Between me and my wife, we've bought 20 coffees since the start of this contest. Nothing so far. Anti-Quebec Toronto-centric bullshit!! It's a conspiracy. Harper must have a hand in this. Where's my free fuckin' double-double... fuck.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

wpmedia.o.canada

0:30. Thirty fucking coffees, and I have not won anything yet. Despite this year's double-sided roll.
14 coffees and I only won one of them.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Just an FYI, at Starbucks you get guaranteed free coffee at most every twelve cups if you use a Starbucks card and register it online first.

(I'm glad that there aren't down-votes on SSP)

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 3:57 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Just an FYI, at Starbucks you get guaranteed free coffee at most every twelve cups if you use a Starbucks card and register it online first.

(I'm glad that there aren't down-votes on SSP)
Why so you would vote my post down?

No shit. I, like many, prefer Starbucks (and I have such a registered card), but it is not conveniently located where I live and work.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 4:01 PM
Mooderator

How many dirty coffees must I purchase? Tim Horton's coffee is the sidekick of the LCBO. One day, the LCBO and Tim Hortons will have a fucked-up Ontarian offspring.. with a store where you line up for beer in a prison-cell... asking for a double double case.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 4:06 PM

On a trip up to McMurray yesterday, rolled up the rim to lose. Flight attendant asked if I had one and I said not yet. (in fact haven't one anything but a free chance to do it again). She mentioned she hasn't won anything as well. quite a number of passengers around us said the same thing. Is it me or are there actually fewer chances showing up.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 4:16 PM

Quote:
I think the extra roll (ie. the blue side) is only for the 1 of 10 bonus cars... I don't think you can win a coffee/donut or any of the other prizes from that. So your chances won't be increased.

Still, 0 for 30 ain't great. I'm not doing too badly... I'm 7 for 21 (all coffees). That's a 33.3333% success rate... better than the 1 in 6 odds (16.67%).

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 4:36 PM
User Registered

0/1

I give up.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 5:27 PM

Okay - I am going to rolllllllll up the rim to win! (Please be a $5000 pre-paid credit card!)

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 5:28 PM

Booooo! It was please play again!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Why so you would vote my post down?

No shit. I, like many, prefer Starbucks (and I have such a registered card), but it is not conveniently located where I live and work.
No, no. It would be my post that would be voted down a la Reddit since I walked into a Tim's thread and dared mention Starbucks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada