HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 4:45 PM

Not sure where the "hydro project" is at by the weir, but there was a pedestrian bridge proposed as part of that potential project. That would suffice to connect the two sides of the river in the north end. That area is well connected with attractive bike and pedestrian trails on both sides.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandCritter View Post

A pedestrian bridge across to kinsmen? and you are complaining about money being spent in the wrong places?
I'm just thinking of kids that may be in wheelchairs and what not that may be able to take a break from the hospital but are short on time - it's definitely a 30+ minute walk to get to Kinsmen Park at the moment and College Drive Bridge is not a fun bridge to walk across. Would be a great private investment opportunity probably >$25MM (that's the cost of Calgary's Peace Bridge)

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Not sure where the "hydro project" is at by the weir, but there was a pedestrian bridge proposed as part of that potential project. That would suffice to connect the two sides of the river in the north end. That area is well connected with attractive bike and pedestrian trails on both sides.
I agree, that area is beautiful and well used.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
I'm just thinking of kids that may be in wheelchairs and what not that may be able to take a break from the hospital but are short on time - it's definitely a 30+ minute walk to get to Kinsmen Park at the moment and College Drive Bridge is not a fun bridge to walk across. Would be a great private investment opportunity probably >$25MM (that's the cost of Calgary's Peace Bridge)
I understand how nice it would be, and if it were private investment even better. Love when citizens/companies give back to their community. But I have a feeling a pedestrian bridge around that area would cost a bit more than 25mil. the elevation change from side to side and length is quite a bit more than that in Calgary.

What they could do is create some updates to the trails on the hospital side of the river. Creating better view points/spots to look out on the river and downtown. or they could create some small feature/signature bridges along the path that cross some of the deep ravines.

Sorry this is off topic from the hospital now haha.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 6:15 PM

Well if the hospital had of been built adjacent to or as add on to City Hospital this would be a mute discussion....Nutrien Play Village, Children's museum, green space, proximity to downtown would all have been within easy walking distance!

Just saying......but lets not open that horrible can of worms......

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Well if the hospital had of been built adjacent to or as add on to City Hospital this would be a mute discussion....Nutrien Play Village, Children's museum, green space, proximity to downtown would all have been within easy walking distance!

Just saying......but lets not open that horrible can of worms......
I agree, would have been ideal.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 7:43 PM

Maybe that gondola that someone proposed a few yaers ago would work in this area, get from hospital to hospital in no time.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 8:41 PM

From Sask Health Authority on Twitter:

Quote:
A significant milestone has been reached towards the opening of the new 176-bed Jim Pattison Children's Hospital in Saskatoon. We just "got the keys" to the facility from the builders.

https://twitter.com/SaskHealth/statu...21166182731782

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 2:59 PM

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 8:44 PM

'A dream come true:' Staff shows off new Jim Pattison Children's Hospital
Construction complete on new hospital, expected to open in the fall
CBC News · Posted: May 03, 2019 12:24 PM CT

The Saskatchewan Health Authority is celebrating the official wrap-up of construction on the new Jim Pattison Children's Hospital in Saskatoon.

Graham Construction completed its work on the massive 176-bed hospital on Thursday. It is scheduled to open fall 2019.

"This represents a dream come true," said Laurentiu Givelichian, head of pediatrics at the Saskatchewan Health Authority. "Today the dream really comes through for all of us."

Construction on the $285.9 million hospital began in 2015. Since then, the hospital's foundation has raised $28.3 million to aid in its construction, along with a $50-million donation by Sask.-born billionaire Jim Pattison.

[...]

Read more: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ital-1.5122087

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 3:25 AM

Noticed this today. At least it adds a bit of colour to that giant tin shed that looms over the river valley (I'm not a fan of this building's architecture as I've stated here before).

I don't like how the mounting rails under the letters are very visible.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 1:18 PM

Where is this hospital located? Googling it only seems to bring up the charitable foundation's offices.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Where is this hospital located? Googling it only seems to bring up the charitable foundation's offices.
Built on top of the Royal University Hospital's parkade. Google's aerial imagery shows the early days of excavation: https://www.google.ca/maps/@52.13187.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 3:25 PM

I still think the other side of the "tin shed" top of building can be used as a 'screen' for some creative projection type feature....I had jokingly offered up "looney tune cartoons" to be projected, but really it could be anything that may add interest to the building.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan