HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 11:28 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
BTW, I got a somewhat angry email from an engineer associated with 5th and West who was shown my post about my connection who WAS associated with the same, and pretty much told me they didn't know my connection and asked me to pretty much stop posting about him and his connection to 5th and West and to be careful what I post. I talked with him and he moved on to another project.
Keep posting the leaks, please.

Quote:
Man these engineers are sensitive...
Of course they are. Their jobs depend on confidentiality.

Last edited by wwmiv; Jun 24, 2017 at 11:41 PM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 11:33 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Oh snap! I had no idea.
I think, now that you know, the appropriate response is, "I had no idea, ATX, sir!"

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 11:35 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I think, now that you know, the appropriate response is, "I had no idea, ATX, sir!"
I had no idea, ATX, the mighty and amazingly resourceful.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 11:35 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
omfg. Austin NEEDS a tower like this. Especially block 185. 500 and Northshore look so weird all clustered together at the same height
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I really, really hope this is the current proposal and not a vision. If it is office as the rendering seems to indicate, it will be right around 900'. That's based on a 13' per floor allowance and some extra height added for what is shown in the podium levels. Parking must be underground.
Agreed on both accounts. This looks fantastic in this rendering. I'm pretty sure I've seen this before...has it not been posted somewhere? I could be thinking of something else though.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 11:37 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
I had no idea, ATX, the mighty and amazingly resourceful.
That works, but Mighty and Resourceful should be capitalized.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 11:46 PM

We are blessed with having Kevin here as he is only one of three SSP Admins. Even though SSP is a Canadian based forum, two of the three Admins are Texas based. The other one is JManc in Houston.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Not everything in Austin gets shortened.

I'm going to get down on my knees for the engineering and architecture Gods and... pray... that this is 984' so that Austin can have a thread in the supertall subforum for the first time.

Last edited by wwmiv; Jun 25, 2017 at 12:21 AM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Not everything in Austin gets shortened.

I'm going to get down on my knees for the engineering and architecture Gods and... pray... that this is 984' so that Austin can have a thread in the supertall subforum for the first time.
I'm so with you on that sentiment. But I hope we get more supporting news/announcements/permit filings on this project and the Travis Co. block real soon.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 1:05 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
By the way, that rust/reddish accent color seems to be on the East side, at least, but I'm assuming both sides for symmetry. It does seem to travel beyond the podium, so I wonder if it would go all the way to the top.... that'd change the color scheme of downtown a bit, which would be nice.
Figured I'd repost this here so we can keep the detailed discussions in the subforum. I wish we had renderings from other angles. Did you see any others, ATX?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 1:07 AM
$$Money on my Mind$$

Man I sure hope this comes to frution. I hope we dont get let down

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 1:13 AM
World Traveler

I hope the same. Imagine if this happens, the old Travis County site happens, then dream about something at the Austin Ballet site, the parking garage to its north, and the substation getting re-worked to allow for development there (these last three are a stretch, but dream with me). This area could really blow up. Then if the other things around the CC happen, downtown could have yet another massive boom. All of this is pure speculation, of course, but nothing is out of the realm of possibilities except for the substation (at least in the near future).

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 1:41 AM

Please let this happen.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 1:49 AM

Quote:

We've talked prior about Virgin and Ritz-Carlton as having eyes on Austin. Being paired with office, residences, and meeting space in the same development is typical of these brands.

This also isn't that far from the convention center, so a relatively disconnected semi-convention oriented upscale hotel paired with flex meeting space available to both conventions and an office component would be ideal to lure funding.
There's also a long standing rumor (mostly amongst hoteliers, my GM among them) that Loews has interest in Austin, too. Loews tends to like center city locations, but also likes 400+ rooms (generally) and a good amount of meeting space, so not sure this location would be ideal. I've always pegged the 6th and Brazos block for a Loews, because it can take part in the convention business if it wants, but can also do its own thing as well.

IMO, any hotel past Congress is going to be out of the convention orbit for all intents and purposes. By the time the Fairmont and Marriott come onlined, there should be enough quality group rooms within a couple of blocks to keep a given convention tightly packaged. The Proper and ZaZa and W and anything else on the other side of the city will be for tourists and business transient. Which is why IMO the Virgin will fit so well over there.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 1:52 AM

Quote:
I hope the same. Imagine if this happens, the old Travis County site happens, then dream about something at the Austin Ballet site, the parking garage to its north, and the substation getting re-worked to allow for development there (these last three are a stretch, but dream with me). This area could really blow up. Then if the other things around the CC happen, downtown could have yet another massive boom. All of this is pure speculation, of course, but nothing is out of the realm of possibilities except for the substation (at least in the near future).
Not to mention the 3 or 4 Rainey St. projects that are under construction, or all but assured to get started soon (except for WPP, which seems to be DOA).

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
We've moved beyond that 450' plateau - at least in renderings.
I think this is an important point, too. These last few pieces of downtown are really picqueing some interest, finally, in getting a little crazier than the norm.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 3:19 AM

When I saw ~900 and ~67, I iterally gasped and had to blink. I always thought we had a shot at a slender point tower here because of the various setbacks infringing this site. This is such a bold design and would break up the monotony in this section of downtown. THIS WOULD BE A HUGE WIN! Like others have said, this is the signature tower Austin needs. Now that I've seen the rendering, I'll be devastated if this doesn't get built. Fingers crossed!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 4:45 AM
Voice of the Modern World

This must've been the Tower that The_Genral was referring to when he mentioned 72 stories tall.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 9:40 AM

Does anyone remember these two posts in the update thread by Syndic back in April 2015? The date on the architect's Bio in the link with the rendering is also April 2015. Hmmmm.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 10:39 AM

After staring at the rendering all day, I reiterate that I think this is probably taller than 900'. The scale of 500 W. 2nd looks correct next to Northshore, and this building is easily about 3 times the depicted height of 500 W. 2nd. That's a height of ~1200'. I wondered about perspective being at play here, but being a block off from that reference tower w/r/t perspective is visually counterbalanced by this building standing on 5-10' lower ground than the other so it's probably a wash.

I count 68 or 69 total floors, not 67, depending upon if the subtle black stripe between the two N-S oriented sections is an amenity or mechanical floor hidden by the perspective of the rendering or the shadow of a small architectural overhang. At 13' floor to ceiling height for all the non-lobby floors with 2' between each floor and 25' for the first two lobby floors and 20' for the third level, plus 10' for any roofline architectural elements puts the building at ~1080'. Bumping the floor to ceiling height down to 12' only takes it to ~1010'.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 11:05 AM
Meh

I'm kind of speechless about the height. I'll withhold judgment on the design until we see the east/west elevations, but the height would be amazing.

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin