HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 6:23 PM
arf

Tough call. I'd pick one of the Tokinas. Nikon is just too expensive for the potential quality increase for me and the Sigma has build issues.

It boils down to what you need it for. For me, I'd take the 12-24mm. Not having a full-frame camera, it's nce to get a 35mm equivalent without having to quite push it all the way. I've noticed it performs very well just backing off a smidege bit at both ends. That said, F/2.8 on the 11-16mm would be nice to have. A little more depth of field option and quite a bit faster than the F/4.0.

I'd buy the 12-24mm again.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 7:15 PM

^^^The main use would be beach photography ...ie getting
in the sand and skys etc

here is an example...

This is a crop,had to walk back alot just to get it in.
I know from a few times that I could do with going to 15mm if
I had it......always 18mm and under more or less.

Wont be doing much urban and am considering getting
into long exposures by the sea...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
I don't anyone who doesn't try to for the correct WB whilst shooting. There are time though,and I just did it, where one is in a rush and forgets to check the WB and shoots a ton of shots before they realize their mistake. It's nice to have the ability to save those shots.

Six - seven seconds is pretty slow, have you tried a faster memory card?
6-7 seconds is the fastest. It is an old camera.

Btw, anyone have any tips for interior architecture photography? I have to photograph part of my school tomorrow. It is forecast to be cloudy condition, if that makes any difference.

The building is very large modern/postmodern university building: very tall ceiling, floor-to-ceiling windows, huge spaces. I figure I will need my wide angle converter and tripod for sure. I am also going to bring a flash as well. Any tips on metering and flash metering, that sort of thing?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 9:56 PM
Red October standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota74 View Post
You imagined right Alex....seems like the 11-16 may be better
and suited to architecture .....for me the wide angle will be for landscape
and I think I will need that little bit of zoom....Ill suss out the Sigma
for now ...Ta@Alex and EE.

BTW. IS there tiny distortion in these lenses??
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^The Tokina 12-24mm has served me well. Not as a good an F-stop as on the 11-16mm as mentioned, but a bit more range on it.
i've had the 12-24mm Tokina since last July and love it. i was going to get a Nikon until my camera shop endorsed the Tokina..."all the realtors here use it and we've never had any complaints." it was $300 cheaper than the Nikon, which pays for a couple of nights in a nice hotel.

some examples:

most of this gallery was with the Tokina

-

-fflint

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 10:42 PM
arf

@toyota74: I'd probably go with the 12-24mm based on your desire to start doing long exposures. The extra F-stops aren't going to get you much and by the example photograph, the shorter depth of field wouldn't buy you anything there. The $300 would also buy you a 50mm F1/4 which is the other lens I use. I use the 50mm about 75% of the time now.

I have some sort of coastal shots, but not really beach shots. Here's a few of mine from the 12-24mm that aren't urban like LSyds (I love that third one by the way LSyd.)

Bell Island, NL (a short fifteen minute drive and twenty minute ferry ride from my house)

Grates Cove, NL

Rocky Harbour, NL

Near Bay Bulls, NL

Death Valley, CA

Lake O'Hara, BC

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 11:07 PM

Amazing photos by the both of you .Maybe Im
better off with the 12-24mm but I notice there
are two of this lens.

the second being DX II and being a hundred euro
dearer at a price of 469euro and the cheaper
being 350euros..is there a big difference between
them??

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 11:09 PM

Awesome shots everyone.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
6-7 seconds is the fastest. It is an old camera.

Btw, anyone have any tips for interior architecture photography? I have to photograph part of my school tomorrow. It is forecast to be cloudy condition, if that makes any difference.

The building is very large modern/postmodern university building: very tall ceiling, floor-to-ceiling windows, huge spaces. I figure I will need my wide angle converter and tripod for sure. I am also going to bring a flash as well. Any tips on metering and flash metering, that sort of thing?
Check out the http://strobist.blogspot.com He might have a few tips.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 11:17 PM
arf

From what I know, the DX II has an internal focus motor. Shouldn't be an issue with the Nikon D70. There might be other differences, but that's all I've found so far.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 12:31 AM

Someone recommended the tokina 11-16 to me. It looks good, and f2.8 would be great. Not much of a zoom range, but 1 mm extra on the wide end can actually be significant. I would probably go for the 11-16, combined with my 18-55 I wouldn't miss not having 17mm.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 2:17 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

yeah, i noticed that the difference between 11 and 16mm is actually pretty big. i mean, it's not that big of a difference once you compare it to those zoom lenses, but its wide angle. and its built TOUGH. and it weights much more than my 18-105mm! way much more!

i was gonna get the sigma 10-20mm but i didnt want a bad copy. then i thought about the 12-24mm, but i saw a chart and the difference between 10 and 12mm is A LOT (well, for me it is). So i went in between with 11mm.

plus i got constant f/2.8, a tough lens, metal mount, push/pull focus, and a sharp lens.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 2:21 AM

^Like Ford TOUGH?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 2:58 AM
Red October standing by

nice stuff HIMS...i gotta take that lens out to the mountains sometime.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 9:44 AM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
^Like Ford TOUGH?
Haha. I will say the 12-24mm is built like a tank. Makes for a bit of a heavy carry some days.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the feedback lads.It seems that both lenses
are a good buy.Ive decided for definite to go with the
11-16mm because I have the a zoom 18-200 lens and
because of the distorton at either end I will need a good
lense for each end so at the wide angle might as well be a
good very wide angle.The cost is 510euros with free postage
from the U.k. new i.e..............so thanks again.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 1:25 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

so after a long search, i decided to take pictures of some girl. i'm gonna shoot in a forest, and she's gonna be wearing a very "summery" dress.

i wanna shoot film but i dont have a 35mm camera

or! i wanna like contact someone who's selling their house (ans by house i mean huge ass mansion) and see if i can use it as a photoshoot. that way they get advertising and i get my "studio".

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 1:35 AM

^Why do you want a 35mm camera?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 2:20 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

i just wanna experiment with film. plus full frame is too expensive.

but! i really like the idea of shooting in mansion! in an old one, with beautiful architecture. i just dont know anyones that rich or willing to lend me their house

well, i do know one rich person, but she doesnt really like me anymore. and her family does some shady shady business so i want to avoid that. but her house is gorgeous! she's indian and she travels around the world so her house is full of cool sculptures and statues, and her house is brick and wood. ahhh! i wish we still talked so i could use her house

and i want to ask someone who's selling their house, i just dont know how i'll get direct contact with the owners, and even if i can contact them, what are the chances that they'll let 3-4 lower to middle income teenagers in a 4mill dollar mansion, alone, with their furniture. the only way i think a millionaire would let me shoot in their house is if i pay them, but their rich, and i'm not. if they're willing to rent out the place, they'll want hundreds, or thousands of dollars.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 2:23 AM

^Yeah but what advantage does it even give you over digital? It just seems like that fad of "ooh I want to shoot film because it's cool and vintage" to me. Although I understand that some are just interested in it, I know I am a little bit (although I have no use for a film SLR).

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 2:29 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

i just think it'd be interesting. i already did film like 4 years ago. plus i like the effect, it's something that can't really be replicated. at least, not by me.

EDIT: YES! So i have the girl, now i need the guy and a fat house. I already know which guy i want, and she's gonna ask him tomarrow! and she knows like 1 million people, so she'll be able to find me a house.

hopefully my plan goes the way i want it and i can finish everything in a few days.

PS: My theme for this project is "The Modern Family" She'll be wearing fancy (but fashionable) clothes, and carrying a suitcase, a nice cell phone, and business stuff like that. While he's cleaning the bathroom, cooking, taking care of the kids (if i decide to add kids to my photos although thats even more work), vacuuming, etc...

Last edited by Aleks; Mar 24, 2010 at 2:49 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography