HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Abraj Al Bait in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Mecca Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 12:14 PM

I think its ridiculous that they bring this to a religious city. The muslims will just fall into this because it says ALLAH aat the top and since its so big and "spititual". This building was made to make a profit like others and it is jus tsad that they do so by making people believe that that big building is as spiritual as anything else there. It Isn't! Just go there if you need a place to stay but not to pray or stay...people go to pray at the "kaaba" (the real reason they even came) not some fancy ass las vegas style hotel trying to a quick buck.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
This is a very consistent approach from the Nation of Islam.
-
Que?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatality View Post
I think its ridiculous that they bring this to a religious city. The muslims will just fall into this because it says ALLAH aat the top and since its so big and "spititual". This building was made to make a profit like others and it is jus tsad that they do so by making people believe that that big building is as spiritual as anything else there. It Isn't! Just go there if you need a place to stay but not to pray or stay...people go to pray at the "kaaba" (the real reason they even came) not some fancy ass las vegas style hotel trying to a quick buck.
No one said this building is spiritual .. It's an endowment

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albicaulis View Post
All religious issues and cultural commentary aside; this project, as a stand alone piece of archicture, is pretty bad.

The enginnering, construction and sheer magnitude of this building is extremely impressive and I find it fascinating, despite my views on the actual finished product.

As the Eiffel Tower is the classic example of a contemporarily despised masterpiece, I cannot comment on how future generation will view this building.
This. I agree, I think the building...especially the top look's incredibly ugly, but it is an impressive feat of engineering. I have absolutely no problem with Saudi's doing it in Mecca near the Kaaba, muslims have been desecrating many different religious shrines, monuments for centuries(and no I don't care if someone is offended by this, the Bhuddist shrines in Afghanistan didn't get any love, The Jewish Temple in Jerusalem with the Al-Aqsa mosque on top of the remains, the beautiful Church in old Constantinople).

Maybe they can build a Church of Scientology Celebrity Supercenter for Tom Cruise & Jon Travolta right on top of it.

Last edited by Starsky; Nov 6, 2012 at 5:03 AM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boquillas View Post
Also, @CroBurnham: the hubris elements of the building are most decidedly western-inspired. Nobody does hubris better than Americans. The art-deco Chrysler building seemed uncommonly garish and cheap
Yes, yes, the Americans do hubris the best (and the western Europeans do unfounded self-righteousness best); yes, this Disneyesque-schlock is western-inspired. So what? It's still hubris-ridden schlock dwarfing one of the most important religious/cultural sites in the world.

Perhaps because of my American hubris, I am fully confident this will neverbe equated aesthetically with the Chrysler Building or anything other than an enormous, offensive pile of architectural doo doo. But if someone were to propose a crescent-adorned Chrysler Building (rather than a giant crescent-adorned Big Ben) on top of the Grand Mosque in Mecca, I would say it is equally hubris-ridden schlock too, and a materialistic affront to the spiritualism that is at the core of the religion.

I'd expect something like this next to a Scientology Temple or one of those for-profit Televangelist cathedrals in California.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 2:43 PM

Oh this is hilarious. An American conservative, American liberal and a Saudi all in the same thread. This can only go so well.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
I have absolutely no problem with Saudi's doing it in Mecca near the Kaaba, muslims have been desecrating many different religious shrines, monuments for centuries(and no I don't care if someone is offended by this, the Bhuddist shrines in Afghanistan didn't get any love, The Jewish Temple in Jerusalem with the Al-Aqsa mosque on top of the remains, the beautiful Church in old Constantinople)
-
The Dome of the Rock was built in 691, and the Al-Asqa mosque shortly after. The Ottomans conquered Constantinople in 1453. There's no need to conflate that with the Wahhabi attitude toward historical religious sites which resulted in the leveling of the Ottoman Fortress in Mecca.

I'm not trying to be PC, I'm just identifying where the problem lies.

It's an impressive engineering feat, yes, but the building is hideous. I like the faux-tents on top of the lower peaks, and the clock tower looks impressive at night, but that's about it.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salakast View Post
Oh this is hilarious. An American conservative, American liberal and a Saudi all in the same thread. This can only go so well.
may as well jump into the bomb shelter now.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 10:02 AM

Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 9:41 PM
Imster

Come one guys this is a Skyscraper forum where people appreciate or not for some buildings around the world - What I admire most about this building is the its really hides it height - personally I would have change some of the design a little and moved it 300-500 meters away from the Kaba and increased the height to 2300ft! But hey. As for the Wahhabi comment made by an earlier poster - Orthodox Muslims do not venerate religious sites of the deceased as is taught in the faith – they follow there example . I am sure the whole Mecca complex when competed will have towers surrounding it which will complement the building. At least the height of the building will provide shade to pilgrims and encourage the wind effect
NOW they need to focus on the rest of Mecca and take inspiration from Dubai, Qatar. Beautiful elegant skyscrapers are needed that look good in night and day and the best in the world - I can’t wait to see the 1KM+ tower being built and overtaking Burj Khalifa

Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 9:46 PM
Imster

We are going to see a race for 2000ft+ skyscrapers - i hope the forum will have a special section on this - It is a shame the building missed out on 2000ft by 28feet!!!!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 3:23 AM
SWFC and ICC R Best

It just doesn't look like a 2000 footer, pics do it no justice, maybe because of the surrounding buildings.. But looks that damn tall in the renders

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 1:27 PM

Old Posted Feb 10, 2013, 2:57 AM

As much as i don't like the design of this building i would still love to see it in person ,i think its so unfair that a person like me is not allowed to see it because of my faith but any Muslim person can go to Vatican city and enjoy the wonderful sites that Vatican city has to offer.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 9:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee fan for life View Post
As much as i don't like the design of this building i would still love to see it in person ,i think its so unfair that a person like me is not allowed to see it because of my faith but any Muslim person can go to Vatican city and enjoy the wonderful sites that Vatican city has to offer.
Agreed. I'm not religious but I would love to see the culture in Mecca with my own eyes. There's something not right about barring "non-believers" from entering. I'm not Muslim and why should I be if I want to visit the city?

As for the building, it is interesting and unique. I love it.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 4:20 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Guevara View Post
Agreed. I'm not religious but I would love to see the culture in Mecca with my own eyes. There's something not right about barring "non-believers" from entering. I'm not Muslim and why should I be if I want to visit the city?
Well considering that the ruling monarchy strictly follows Islamic teachings and implements laws based upon the Qur'an, it shouldn't come as a surprise. The reason for not allowing non-Muslims into Mecca is quite simple if you read the Qur'an: Sura 9:28: O ye who believe! Truly the Pagans are unclean; so let them not, after this year of theirs, approach the Sacred Mosque.

But even then, I don't think you will be seeing much culture soon, the Saudi Royal family is fundamental believers of Wahhabism, which they reject the worship of divine proxies to God or practices and habits which they claim may lead to idolatry and polytheistic association (Shirk). And judging from these photographs the Independent managed to get, it looks like they are even demolishing parts of the Masjid al-Haram (AKA The Grand Mosque)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...a-8536968.html

Quote:
The photos Saudi Arabia doesn't want seen – and proof Islam's most holy relics are being demolished in Mecca

Jerome Taylor
Friday 15 March 2013

The authorities in Saudi Arabia have begun dismantling some of the oldest sections of Islam’s most important mosque as part of a highly controversial multi-billion expansion.

Photographs obtained by The Independent reveal how workers with drills and mechanical diggers have started demolishing some Ottoman and Abbasid sections on the eastern side of the Masjid al-Haram in Mecca.

The building, which is also known as the Grand Mosque, is the holiest site in Islam because it contains the Kaaba – the point to which all Muslims face when praying. The columns are the last remaining sections of the mosque which date back more than a few hundred years and form the inner perimeter on the outskirts of the white marble floor surrounding the Kaaba.

The new photos, taken over the last few weeks, have caused alarm among archaeologists and come as Prince Charles – a long term supporter of preserving architectural heritage – flew into Saudi Arabia yesterday for a visit with the Duchess of Cornwall. The timing of his tour has been criticised by human rights campaigners after the Saudis shot seven men in public earlier this week despite major concerns about their trial and the fact that some of the men were juveniles at the time of their alleged crimes.

Many of the Ottoman and Abbasid columns in Mecca were inscribed with intricate Arabic calligraphy marking the names of the Prophet Muhammad’s companions and key moments in the founder of Islam’s life. One column which is believed to have been ripped down is supposed to mark the sport where Muslims believe Muhammad began his heavenly journey on a winged horse which took him to Jerusalem and heaven in a single night.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLksuGUY View Post
We americans took London Bridge and now these people want Big Ben
What are you even talking about?

Edit: I just realized I responded to a post from 2007.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 1:46 PM
Imster

This building is going to grow on people - i hope when the other surrounding area is completed the building will be enhanced - yes it cvould have been better and i dont know why they didnt go up to 2000ft but it is a good effort and i hope the region and city and its visitors will benefit

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Imster View Post
This building is going to grow on people
Not likely.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatality View Post
Eh, but you know what they say - if you are free to put ketchup on a steak...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive