HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 8:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
That wouldn't be quite the case, as Melbourne ranks right up there with Vancouver as "most liveable" yet has an extensive freeway system. And could we physically have more people living "farther out" than we already do now? We're already right to the border, up the North Shore Mountains and out to Chilliwack.
Actually I feel if they had built a freeway system. A higher percentage of the population would have been living further east than they do today. The reason is that most people have a tolerable time that they will commute. Anything over that time and they start to get upset. So if the average speed is higher because of a freeway. Then people will travel longer distances. But if there is no freeway. People won't want to travel as far as the average speed on the road is lower.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 8:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywise604 View Post
I would argue against a full fledged highway too. I don't think that's what the city of Vancouver actually needs, since our downtown core is very compact. What should of been done when all these roads were built, was build them with plenty of room to develop. Have long left turn lanes at busy intersections so that a divider for oncoming traffic could be put in place, forbidding left turns onto side streets. Or put one of those double lanes down the middle so that cars can turn left but do not block traffic. Again I have to hand it to the city of Surrey since this works very well on Scott Rd., KGB, 72nd, 64th, 152nd, and 128th This should of been done down on all the major roads through Vancouver. Imagine driving down Kingway WB and having to turn left onto Gladstone and never blocking traffic... Or having to turn left onto 33rd from NB Knight and never blocking traffic. Cars would be moving through Vancouver considerably faster, it would of eased a large portion of the congestion also.
It's just too bad that on almost all the major roads, there is no where to develop anymore. Gotta love living in Delta and working in Surrey!

That makes sense about allowing one but forbidding the other, but it should be common sense to those people as to why. Also, they have back alleys/side streets for parking why do they need to park on a major road?
You have to remember that Vancouver and its roads were designed before the automobile was popular. So they never designed the layout of the roads with the idea that 1,000's of people would be making left turns ever day.

While in Surrey and Delta. Most of those roads were built knowing they had to accomodate the automobile.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotp View Post
You have to remember that Vancouver and its roads were designed before the automobile was popular.
Which is exactly why Vancouver is so much more pleasant to walk around in than places like Surrey and Richmond.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 1:14 AM
Reason and Freedom

Look at the Trans-Canada Highway through the Fraser Canyon near the China Bar Tunnel circa 1960:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45379817@N08/4987674424/

Last edited by Prometheus; Dec 18, 2010 at 3:52 AM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 3:10 AM
HA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Look at the Fraser Canyon Highway in 1960 around the China Bar area:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45379817@N08/4987674424/
Looks like typical rural mountain roads in Bolivia that you see in pics.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 7:39 AM

Having spent the last few months in Mexico I have to say that sometimes people dont realize how good our roads are. Mind you Mexico will never in our lifetimes catch up to western standards(thats a whole different topic), and two thirds of the world is in the same boat as they are.

We should always strive for improvements but sometimes we have to stop and realize how good the roads and infrastructure is here.

As far as the number 1 from the 60's, it looks good and well maintained. The roads in third world countries are much worse then that, trust me.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 3:27 PM
(daka_x)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
Having spent the last few months in Mexico I have to say that sometimes people dont realize how good our roads are. Mind you Mexico will never in our lifetimes catch up to western standards(thats a whole different topic), and two thirds of the world is in the same boat as they are.

We should always strive for improvements but sometimes we have to stop and realize how good the roads and infrastructure is here.

As far as the number 1 from the 60's, it looks good and well maintained. The roads in third world countries are much worse then that, trust me.
Same can be said about the Philippines... I've been here for the past few days, and I'm telling you, long stretches of highway with no left turn lanes whatsoever, mediocre traffic lights that people ignore at light, posts in the middle of lanes in some places...

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 6:25 PM

Great historical photo. The road would have been even scarier driving one of those vintage cars, which weren't know for agile handling or braking!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 8:06 PM

One thing I've noticed that's really starting to bug me is the pooling of water on major roads.

C'mon, this is Vancouver, one of the wettest areas in the world at this time year. 50mm of rain in a day is normal, but yet ponding and flooding of major highways seems to always occur.

Why is this? This isn't the desert? Highway 99 north of the Massey Tunnel floods at times. Cape Horn floods along Highway #1 at times. 200 Avenue offramp pools up everytime it rains (westbound) and now EB Highway #1 has been shut all day between Bridal Falls and Hope because of creek runoff. This stuff occurs weekly in the winter out here, but yet nothing seems to be done by it.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 9:42 PM

The quantity of water in the last 2 days was near worst-case scenario due to heavy rain + so much snow melting so quickly. I think some tolerance is appropriate in this case.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure