HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 3:25 AM
User Registered

Oh I see all the Colbourne apartments have been added to the diagrams page.

How are Old East I and II coming? Seeing a proposed and another u/c structure will help give the impression that this isn't a stagnant city when it comes to high-rise development.

Again, great work bolognium!

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 4:27 AM
bro

Thanks everyone. Haljackey, the Crown diagrams have been in the pending approval queue since October 27th so I'd imagine they'll be added within a few days. I think they're taking a little longer than the others since I mentioned how the taller tower is the one that's actually under construction. Maybe they have to verify that somehow.

Been a little busy lately, but I've started working on the London Towers complex. Here's what I have so far:

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 1:17 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^a good start on a fugly fugly building
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 9:25 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

I know they aren't very tall, but adding the Dominion Public Building, the TD bank at Dundas and Clarence, and maybe the London Life building would help to give the impression that we have some older stock. Oh, and great work on the Harriston, and Colbourne apartments! They look great on the diagram.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 9:50 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpseatles View Post
I know they aren't very tall, but adding the Dominion Public Building, the TD bank at Dundas and Clarence, and maybe the London Life building would help to give the impression that we have some older stock. Oh, and great work on the Harriston, and Colbourne apartments! They look great on the diagram.
The Dominion Public Building (old post office) is the best example of Art-Deco architecture in Southwest Ontario, at least in my opinion.

It may also qualify for a drawing because it was the tallest building outside of Toronto for many, many years.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolognium View Post
Been a little busy lately, but I've started working on the London Towers complex. Here's what I have so far:

Old Posted Nov 4, 2011, 8:50 PM
bro

City Hall is officially on the second page. The Crown's been added to the diagram and they've also corrected which building is under construction.

And I definitely agree that the Dominion and old TD Bank buildings deserve to be on the diagram. I was actually thinking about drawing the TD building pretty soon since I see it everyday from my bedroom window.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 4:04 PM
User Registered

Crazy how City Hall is now on page 2! Great work on the Crown buildings, they look amazing!

I hope we're not burdening with requests, but have you thought about doing the Sunlife at Grosvenor Gate buildings? That will add two more proposals to the diagram list (and bump City Hall even further back ).

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 4:27 PM

How do you make these diagrams? Like what kind of a program do you use?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 9:17 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
I hope we're not burdening with requests, but have you thought about doing the Sunlife at Grosvenor Gate buildings? That will add two more proposals to the diagram list (and bump City Hall even further back ).
When was that proposed? Do you have any renderings of it?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 3:15 AM
bro

Smile

Symz, I use a combination of MS Paint and Photoshop. I'm really comfortable using Paint and could draw these diagrams without Photoshop, but the layers and opacity settings in PS make the process a lot quicker.

Haljackey, I don't mind the requests so long as you guys realize it may take a while. I have never seen a render of the Sunlife buildings so I don't know what to draw for their diagrams.

Anyhow, I was getting bored of the London Towers so this afternoon I drew the old TD building. Thought you guys would enjoy a little step by step as well. Sorry about the watermark, just taking Mike's advice.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolognium View Post
Symz, I use a combination of MS Paint and Photoshop. I'm really comfortable using Paint and could draw these diagrams without Photoshop, but the layers and opacity settings in PS make the process a lot quicker.

Haljackey, I don't mind the requests so long as you guys realize it may take a while. I have never seen a render of the Sunlife buildings so I don't know what to draw for their diagrams.

Anyhow, I was getting bored of the London Towers so this afternoon I drew the old TD building. Thought you guys would enjoy a little step by step as well. Sorry about the watermark, just taking Mike's advice.

Wow, I'm impressed. I use Photoshop often enough and sure Paint here and there, but I don't think I could make a diagram nearly as good as yours, kudos.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 4:32 PM
User Registered

Nice work with the old TD building!

Yeah the London Towers are pretty stale. That weird contrast on the north one gives it a unique but ugly look.

Have you thought about making the south tower? The nearby Marriott hotel at Dundas and Colboune may also be a decent candidate for a drawing because it doesn't look half-bad, especially compared to the Hilton.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 3:48 PM
bro

Smile

If I ever see the colour beige again it'll be too soon, and I'm still planning on doing the South Tower.

It's not 100% finished, but it won't change too significantly. I put a fair amount of effort into the drawing since I actually kinda like this building.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 4:44 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Yeah thats good stuff you're putting out, congrats!

Glad to see another contributor from Southern Ont...

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 4:50 PM
User Registered

Yeah its ok looking west toward downtown, but I think the other side looks horrible. Just stand on Dundas between Wellington and Waterloo and its like another building. Some of the windows near the top look like pillboxes.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 7:53 PM
bro

Smile

Thanks a lot, koops. That means a lot coming from someone who's drawn as many diagrams as yourself.

Yeah, the west face of the North Tower is pretty fugly, Haljackey. I still like these towers a lot more than the Colborne Centre apartments, though. I'll probably draw the Marriott at some point, but I'm not sure when. After I complete the South Tower I'm thinking I'll do the Peter McGregor on King. It'll be really easy to draw and the north face has a lot of glass balconies.

There's just so many buildings I'd like to draw. Here are the main ones I really want to get done:

-Gartshore Towers on Ridout
-Station Park Hotel on Pall Mall
-Peter McGregor and the beige condo tower on Thames Street.
-Dominion Public
-520 Talbot
-London Life
-Cool teal modernist office building on Queens and Clarence.
-Sunlife at Grosvenor (assuming there are renderings out there)

Haha, what else?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 11:24 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

There are literally thousands of undrawn buildings from all around the world. Doing London buildings is great, but dont be afraid to expand your horizons. Maybe a few from the other London... that way you can still say you're doing London diagrams...

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 8:25 PM

bolognium has the skills to pay the bills! Nice work!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 4:10 AM

The work is good. Very good. You have the understanding of the ratio of detail to scale, oblique perspectives, and appropriate use of colour/shading. Press on!

I hope that you are considering a career in technical illustrating of some sort.

Last edited by Snark; Dec 17, 2011 at 4:21 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos