HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 12:35 PM
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
CITC, FMC, SLS and One Riverside, 1601 Vine and CHOP's new building at 700 Schuylkill Ave are pretty much a definite go. Already have full financing and approvals. The office buildings have tenants, etc.
Do you think the Toll Brothers tower on Walnut is definitely a go in addition to those listed above? Or are there still obstacles?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 12:13 AM
Me?!?

Phila. can't afford to raze nearly 600 dangerous buildings

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/po...3GJwEYfRxIU.99

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/Ma...roperties.html

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally View Post
That's because they live with their parents.
It's because that's where the jobs are -- and consultants from outside the US tend to live very close to the suburban companies where they work.

I'm very much one of the types that we are talking about here. And I live in Manayunk and commute out out to KOP each day. I like living in Philly, but truly, the wage tax and commute to work might push me out of the city.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
I'm very much one of the types that we are talking about here. And I live in Manayunk and commute out out to KOP each day. I like living in Philly, but truly, the wage tax and commute to work might push me out of the city.
No, actually, you're one of the types that YOU are talking about here. What I and others (summersm343, etc.) are talking about are the high-tech workers in their twenties and thirties who will be working IN CENTER CITY--and specifically in the CITC--as well as in other nearby city neighborhoods, e.g., University City, Northern Liberties (N3rd St.), etc. And the question is whether most of THOSE folks--and not those whose jobs are in the suburbs--will choose to live in Center City and its surrounding neighborhoods, versus the suburbs.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
It's because that's where the jobs are -- and consultants from outside the US tend to live very close to the suburban companies where they work.

No you just have bad taste overall. Manayunk sucks, kop sucks, commuting on 76 sucks.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPhillyBoy View Post
Do you think the Toll Brothers tower on Walnut is definitely a go in addition to those listed above? Or are there still obstacles?

Considering it hasn't been announced yet I wouldn't go nuts.

though my guess is dranoff, toll and the 1706 guy are all racing to get out of the ground first.. 3 big condo projects at once is interesting... who knows how deep this market is

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
No you just have bad taste overall. Manayunk sucks...
What, did you get picked on last time you went there or something? Manayunk/Roxborough is pretty nice and offers people a place to live that is 10-15 minutes from a major city and a short walk to a great park and riverfront. There are lot's of places that "suck" more than Manayunk, look at the suckfest that is north east Philly.

But then again that's just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions, their like assholes.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 2:08 PM

Just came out of a big meeting. Still some huge plans yet to reveal themselves for Philadelphia in 2014. Stay tuned!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPhillyBoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
Considering it hasn't been announced yet I wouldn't go nuts.

though my guess is dranoff, toll and the 1706 guy are all racing to get out of the ground first.. 3 big condo projects at once is interesting... who knows how deep this market is
Exactly. It hasn't been announced yet. Anything could go wrong, but it is Toll. They're a large company. They get things done. I wouldn't count them out.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 2:17 PM

What kind of plans? Skyscraper plans? Revitalization of neiborhoods plans? capping hw plans?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Just came out of a big meeting. Still some huge plans yet to reveal themselves for Philadelphia in 2014. Stay tuned!
Oh, you're such a tease.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokoon11 View Post
What kind of plans? Skyscraper plans? Revitalization of neiborhoods plans? capping hw plans?
Skyscrapeerrrrsssssssss!!!

Also, if all goes accordingly, expect the announcement of another office tower this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Oh, you're such a tease.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 2:39 PM

Easy Opportunities

So sometimes at work I play around and I came up with this at one point. It shows the easiest opportunities for new construction (slash the maps of my least favorite things: surface parking lots). Sorry it's a little blurry I didn't want it to be 27 inches wide and screw up formatting so I shrank it down quick and dirty.

So check it out...
orange: parking structure (incl. those on the lower floors of buildings)
light blue: proposed construction on surface parking lots - many I learned about from this thread
dark blue: ongoing construction on surface parking lots
green: SURFACE PARKING LOTS

I'm sure I've missed some and this doesn't show underground because underground parking isn't an easy development opportunity.

I know that everyday we hear about another exciting proposal and I'm super thrilled to hear about new projects all the time. Such an exciting time to be in Philly!! But it's always worth remembering how far we have to go and how much damage we did to ourselves in the past. And you might be tired of hearing from me about how much I hate parking lots but LOOK AT ALL THE PARKING LOTS! Do we really need every proposal to come with a 1:1 parking ratio or a 1:5000 sqft parking ratio?! Comcast has 80 spots in tower 1 and only fills about 50 on any given day. Comcast 2 will have 58 spots. And more households are forming in Philly without cars than with cars.

I was thinking today about 1919 market and the giant garage Brandywine proposed. If they added 10-15 stories of apartments to the building (as rumored) and did away with the garage then we'd really be cooking with gas. Given that 2116 is not fully occupied at $1895 a month (I can see the building from my apartment and at 10 pm it's never more than about 15% lights on) I think that 1919 Market could save $50,000 per spot in construction costs to skip the garage, go with mid-level finishes, and rent at $1300-$1500 a month and fill the building in no time.

Anyway, that's my two cents for the day. Can't wait to hear more from Summers!!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Skyscrapeerrrrsssssssss!!!

Also, if all goes accordingly, expect the announcement of another office tower this year.
So what are we talking about in terms of any revelations? Days? Weeks? Months?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 2:49 PM

So understanding it cant be specific - but will this be over 800ft?

And can you provide an approx nabe?

ME, CBD, Logan?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
So what are we talking about in terms of any revelations? Days? Weeks? Months?
Probably a couple months before anything official is announced. Looks like summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
So understanding it cant be specific - but will this be over 800ft?

And can you provide an approx nabe?

ME, CBD, Logan?
Market East. Could be 600-800 feet depending on tenant commitment.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 2:59 PM

Nevermind, that being said I have thought for a while that Market East should support office density like Market West. The proximity to the train station really makes it a no brainer.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Probably a couple months before anything official is announced. Looks like summer.

Market East. Could be 600-800 feet depending on tenant commitment.
That would be super news - think ME should become more commercial anyway

Am speculating something on top of the Gallery and redo coordinated to scale down

But just a guess - would love to see that spawn 2-3 more commercial endeavors there - Maybe the disney hole will finally get filled...

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
Nevermind, that being said I have thought for a while that Market East should support office density like Market West. The proximity to the train station really makes it a no brainer.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
That would be super news - think ME should become more commercial anyway

Am speculating something on top of the Gallery and redo coordinated to scale down

But just a guess - would love to see that spawn 2-3 more commercial endeavors there - Maybe the disney hole will finally get filled...
Yeah, it's unfortunate that not only do I not have much information on it, but I can't disclose the information I do know lol.

I would like REALLY like to see the 13th and Market and 8th and Market parking lots taken out first and foremost. Then the lowrises on the south end of Market East replaced with highrises and the Gallery completely re-done with two towers on top. That would be my ideal Market East

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it's unfortunate that not only do I not have much information on it, but I can't disclose the information I do know lol.
But that's an office tower. You also were giving a heads-up about some new residential or hotel towers--presumably about which we haven't heard yet--right?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations