HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 8:31 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I agree re: second part. Rainey is just... actually worth preserving.
Exactly - and I hope they do in some way.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 1:21 AM

April 16, 2015

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 5:10 AM
Meh

Nice pics. There's quite a cluster of buildings forming over there.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 2:28 PM

Millennium Rainey scaffolding collapse closes No Va:

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...ey-street.html

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 3:14 AM

6/25

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 4:30 AM

8/1

Last edited by Urbannizer; Aug 4, 2015 at 5:45 AM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 6:17 PM

Well, it may not add much to the skyline, but at least it will add to the congestion.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 11:16 PM

Unhappy There goes the neighborhood...

This is looking more and more like a missed opportunity to add some density that had some character that fit in with the history and character of the neighborhood. This looks like a cookie-cutter, run-of-the-mill, monolithic, boring apartment/condo complex...

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 12:15 AM

Uhh... what history of the neighborhood?

The bars you see there now only sprung up in the last 10 years or so after the area was re-zoned to make way for DEVELOPMENT. They were always meant to be temporary.

I'm glad the area is getting some density, even if it isn't as tall as we'd like it to be.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 12:44 AM
Meh

He's not wrong. This looks like the stuff that's going up in West Campus and Riverside. At least the stuff on Lamar has some design merits. This is a box for people.

By the way, I think resansom was talking about the Mexican heritage of the neighborhood.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 1:06 AM

Meh, it was boring single-family houses before. It's not so bad. It looks like a lot of the other mid-rise developments you see around Austin and no one's dogging on those. They're only doing it here because of the location.

And re: the history, I doubt it.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Meh, it was boring single-family houses before. It's not so bad. It looks like a lot of the other mid-rise developments you see around Austin and no one's dogging on those. They're only doing it here because of the location.

And re: the history, I doubt it.
Looks like this one has concrete construction at least, so maybe there will be decent soundproofing between floors and less risk of a major fire. I think those stick-builds on top of or around parking structures are kind of scary.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 5:21 AM

Well it's not done yet. Once the brick goes on it will start to look alot better.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 4:02 PM

Rainey Street as people knew it about 5-10 years ago was an anomaly due to the timing of re-zoning and the credit crunch. The city can't take an old neighborhood street and say "we are converting this to a party district" and expect stakeholder support.

This building creates an actual neighborhood further north on Rainey which is a great thing. Before this, it was a strip of bars that didn't contribute much to the city and the space was being vastly underutilized. The best bars and restaurants are still there. This is much more sustainable as a functioning area, not just evenings and weekends, but all week long.

Also, good architecture is nice, but it is also more expensive for the people living there and prices people out of the market. Building a human scale structure with first floor retail is not a bad thing, even if it is box.

What the area needs are more neighborhood elements within a walkable radius. This seems to be coming with the developments south and towards I-35 and also if Waller Creek towers are executed properly, that will help.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 9:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Well it's not done yet. Once the brick goes on it will start to look alot better.
I don't even think if they plated it with gold and encrusted it with rubies, sapphires and emeralds that it would belong anywhere close to downtown - perhaps East Austin, but there are developments there that I prefer over this one. It would perhaps be something more appropriate for a place like Round Rock or Lubbock. It might even make a statement in downtown Laredo, because it would fit right in, there.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 12:04 AM
World Traveler

I can only imagine the thefts around a building encrusted with rubies, sapphires, and emeralds...

...but I see your point.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 1:22 AM

I pass by simular buildings like this at LaFrontera and the Domain, and even on Burnet Rd, which is why I don't much care for it downtown. Except for the fact that its a couple of floors taller, its....so....generic, so suburban. For there, I would have loved to see a modern version of the brownstones you see in Boston, Brooklyn, and near Wrigley Field in Chicago. Or a continuation of taller highrises. When I drive towards downtown from the south, this thing is going to be prominant and nothing special. I'm pretty disappointed more now than when it was first announced, but I suppose I'll get over it. At least its better than the Hilton Garden.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Matt View Post
Rainey Street as people knew it about 5-10 years ago was an anomaly due to the timing of re-zoning and the credit crunch. The city can't take an old neighborhood street and say "we are converting this to a party district" and expect stakeholder support.

This building creates an actual neighborhood further north on Rainey which is a great thing. Before this, it was a strip of bars that didn't contribute much to the city and the space was being vastly underutilized. The best bars and restaurants are still there. This is much more sustainable as a functioning area, not just evenings and weekends, but all week long.

Also, good architecture is nice, but it is also more expensive for the people living there and prices people out of the market. Building a human scale structure with first floor retail is not a bad thing, even if it is box.

What the area needs are more neighborhood elements within a walkable radius. This seems to be coming with the developments south and towards I-35 and also if Waller Creek towers are executed properly, that will help.
Yes, yes, yes, and yes!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Matt View Post

1) One building does not make a neighborhood. The south side of Rainey has already turned into quite the neighborhood of residential buildings (one of the densest areas of the city), and there was plenty of space in the parking lot to the North to create a bit more without having to demolition any houses.

2) I don't know how many times it needs to be stated on this thread, but there is ONE, limited ground floor retail spot in this project. It is so apparent from the pictures Urbannizer just posted, and its been clear from all the site plans. Oh...and I can assure you that the rent here is not going to be any less "expensive" as anything else in the area.

3) The vast majority of the area fronting Rainey will be ground floor apartments (going to be interesting to see how that plays out). The parking garage will have a large driveway that pours out on Rainey. The entire side of the street, for an entire block, will be more or less barren for pedestrian activity, except for one tiny spot for retail (on the south side, next to the "boring single family homes"). Certainly none of these elements would be considered by any urbanist on these forums as helping make the project more "human scale" or "walkable."

Yes, Rainey is a new manifestation of Austin culture. But is so unique to our city. Heck, here in the northeast, people I talk with about our awesome city often distinctly remember the cool vibe of the street with a bunch of houses that were turned into restaurants and bars. If we wanted density, we could of easily had that without destroying the houses on Rainey. Look no further to what Shore and Hotel Van Zandt did. It would of been so easy to build high on East Avenue and leave the houses fronting Rainey to maintain the vibe of the area. Now we have what I truly consider the worst development that has come through Austin.

If this project was built anywhere else in downtown, we would hate it. Cookie cutter, no ground floor retail, not very tall, and something that required demolishing something very unique (be it a rather recent addition) to Austin. It is certainly just as bad, if not worse, that anything going up on Red River. It is truly the only project, for me at least, that truly disgusts and disappoints me to what could of been.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myomi View Post
1) One building does not make a neighborhood. The south side of Rainey has already turned into quite the neighborhood of residential buildings (one of the densest areas of the city), and there was plenty of space in the parking lot to the North to create a bit more without having to demolition any houses.

If this project was built anywhere else in downtown, we would hate it. Cookie cutter, no ground floor retail, not very tall, and something that required demolishing something very unique (be it a rather recent addition) to Austin. It is certainly just as bad, if not worse, that anything going up on Red River. It is truly the only project, for me at least, that truly disgusts and disappoints me to what could of been.
My thought exactly. Well said on all your points.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin