HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 9:03 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Ridership is counted via sensors in the train doorways, not via sales of tickets and passes. Also, Diamondbacks attendees do not ride for free. It is only for events at the Talking Stick Resort Arena that an event ticket is also a rail ticket.
Ah, thank you. I had no idea there were sensors for counting. Technology!

Also, yes on the Suns games. I knew it was one or the other, just couldn't remember which. Glad you corrected me. I am planning on going to a Dbacks game soon and probably would have not bought a pass!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 9:07 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I am planning on going to a Dbacks game soon and probably would have not bought a pass!
You wouldn't be alone. On days when the Dbacks are playing at home, I see signs at the Central & Camelback station specifically telling people that their baseball ticket is not a train ticket. I assume the same signs go up at other stations with park-and-rides.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I believe this to be correct because of the exhaust vent situation (or lack thereof) but that obviously doesn't apply to a bar, not sure why that would be the case.
I believe it is something in the CC&R's but may be wrong on that.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 11:55 PM

I live at Capital Place on 12th ST and our Market just opened last week! It is actually pretty impressive. They used two ground floor units and have just about everything you need. About the only thing they could use is a butcher,lol. But they have everything from produce, to bread, to fountain drinks, all kinds of snacks, chips, frozen food, ice cream, desserts and so on. Definitely can take far less trips to Safeway, if you're I the area stop by and support a local business. Only thing I really would worry about if I was him is the produce going bad, he has lots of stuff in a small place. Hopefully he does well, there's also a Soul Food restaurant going in where Full Plate used to be a long time ago across the street from the new market.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 11:58 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
I live at Capital Place on 12th ST and our Market just opened last week! It is actually pretty impressive. They used two ground floor units and have just about everything you need. About the only thing they could use is a butcher,lol. But they have everything from produce, to bread, to fountain drinks, all kinds of snacks, chips, frozen food, ice cream, desserts and so on. Definitely can take far less trips to Safeway, if you're I the area stop by and support a local business. Only thing I really would worry about if I was him is the produce going bad, he has lots of stuff in a small place. Hopefully he does well, there's also a Soul Food restaurant going in where Full Plate used to be a long time ago across the street from the new market.
I think that market is in the same location as one that recently closed. I hope it does better than the one before it. Likewise, Rhema Soul Food is going into a location that has hosted several unsuccessful restaurants. Let's hope that there's a critical mass of nearby residents, along with the reputation Rhema built up in Queen Creek, to make things work.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 3:55 AM

Yeah, same location. It was more of a Coffee shop when it was Market Joes. Joe actually did pretty well but it was just something he was trying out on the side. He actually lives here at Capital Place too and got to know him a bit. This new place is a full on market, I can't believe how much stuff he fit in it, I hope it does well, it would help it Laffretty or whatever it is was a real developer to develope the other blocks around here. But yeah, I looked Rhema Soul up on Yelp and saw the location and it had good reviews, I don't think it would be a bad spot especially with all the churches around here. I don't know anything about Fullplate, but if that place was around for a while without the apartments around here, I would have to imagine this spot should do well.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 2:43 PM

I never knew about Tapestry or any of the other projects and the retail problems! I guess a good question to ask is, when will we reach the 'tipping point' of walkable development, where retail spaces can actually be filled and people are encouraged to get out of cars and walk? We're seeing the development of several 'hotspots' throughout the Valley right now, and hopefully, the momentum of building in/up as opposed to out continues.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 2:49 PM

It's Phoenix so the broad answer is probably never in our life times. In some places it will come sooner.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 4:25 PM

Quote:
It's Phoenix so the broad answer is probably never in our life times. In some places it will come sooner.
What?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 4:35 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by jward145 View Post
I never knew about Tapestry or any of the other projects and the retail problems! I guess a good question to ask is, when will we reach the 'tipping point' of walkable development, where retail spaces can actually be filled and people are encouraged to get out of cars and walk? We're seeing the development of several 'hotspots' throughout the Valley right now, and hopefully, the momentum of building in/up as opposed to out continues.
That's already happening in some places. Just half a mile south of Tapesty, the new Muse apartment building seems to doing well with Press Coffee, Forno 301, and a hair salon. The difference seems to be that the LMC, the developer, wanted to offer ground floor retail and designed the space thoughtfully. When developers are told they have to add retail space, whether they want it or not, then the results are predictably disappointing.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 4:45 PM

went to tacos chelo last night (5th and roosevelt). margaritas had a lot of alcohol in them. tacos were ok.

there was a sign up across the street advertising for help for Paz cantina (corner of 3rd and roosevelt). looks there is enough space to put a decent patio out front.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
What?
The tipping point of walkable development. In most areas it will not happen in any of our life times.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 5:44 PM

Quote:
The tipping point of walkable development. In most areas it will not happen in any of our life times.
I think that’s awfully negative downtown, parts of midtow, old town, mill and several neighborhoods around central Phoenix have already hit the tipping point for walkability. And the city has clearly already hit a point where developing up is as economical as growin out

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I think that’s awfully negative downtown, parts of midtow, old town, mill and several neighborhoods around central Phoenix have already hit the tipping point for walkability. And the city has clearly already hit a point where developing up is as economical as growin out
"In some places it will come sooner."

We're on the same page, it sounds.

An overwhelming majority of this city will never be walkable, some very small areas like the ones you mentioned will be or are.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 5:57 PM

Quote:
"In some places it will come sooner."

We're on the same page, it sounds.

An overwhelming majority of this city will never be walkable, some very small areas like the ones you mentioned will be or are.
He majority of most modern cities aren’t walkable..

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 6:39 PM

It seems like you want to argue, I don't.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 7:05 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownphxguy12 View Post
went to tacos chelo last night (5th and roosevelt)margaritas had a lot of alcohol in them
Heck...that's all I needed to read. The tacos will get better after a couple!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Heck...that's all I needed to read. The tacos will get better after a couple!
LOL my experience has been different. I've been back a total of about 5 times now and the tacos have been great each time. Also, the Micheladas they have are one of the best I've ever had (if that's your thing). Great tacos and vibe. Haven't made it out to TrapHouse BBQ next door but have heard some good things.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 8:29 PM
Skyriser

You're not going to see major improvements to the physical makeup of Central Phoenix until the neighborhoods east, west, and south of downtown significantly gentrify and the planning is there to keep Downtown an entertainment and shopping district and keep those uses out of the other neighborhoods.

Garfield has a median income of like half the rest of the valley which leaves little reason for developers to come in with big plans that attract national retailers, and this is aside from the Amazon-inspired retail apocalypse. The area can only support so many bars and restaurants.

That probably won't happen until at least Phoenix sees a resurgence of high-wage jobs in the Central Corridor and other points, but for whatever reason Tempe is seeing all the Class A space get built. My guess is that Tempe is both an urban area that has reasonably good public schools and the Phoenix schools are still struggling, another thing that's a generational shift away.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 8:52 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
That's already happening in some places. Just half a mile south of Tapesty, the new Muse apartment building seems to doing well with Press Coffee, Forno 301, and a hair salon. The difference seems to be that the LMC, the developer, wanted to offer ground floor retail and designed the space thoughtfully. When developers are told they have to add retail space, whether they want it or not, then the results are predictably disappointing.
I spoke a few times during the build with Nathan Stum of Lennar. They actually found out evidence of higher than anticipated demand for such usage and did some retrofitting during the build process (ventilation, etc.) so that they would be able to bring in the tenants that they now have.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest