HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 6:54 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanHunt View Post
Moving the stadium 3 miles north will not increase tickets sales, or are we considering baseball to be a public service. Put a Hooters on that corner if you want to increase downtown traffic.
If it could be linked to the Constellation project, Hooters as well as other venues would be a perfect baseball night event.
Put a high rise office tower at Clinton and the parkway and you really start to create a dynamic environment that people will want to be part of.
All within easy walking distance of each other.

Birmingham on it's way to do something similar
http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2011/07/post_664.html

Huntsville's potential is even better I think.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 10:14 PM

If a parking garage is built for a Publix at Council Court would we have to pay to park/shop? If it is free would it be far enough away from the hospital that people wouldn't just park there instead of paying to park closer to the hospital?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanHunt View Post
Moving the stadium 3 miles north will not increase tickets sales, or are we considering baseball to be a public service. Put a Hooters on that corner if you want to increase downtown traffic.
This is the kind of pessimistic and negative thinking that has held Huntsville back while other smaller markets have moved ahead. It's time for Huntsvillians to start thinking positive.

Huntsville's downtown is DEAD. Nothing to do after dark. Adding a nice new modern day stadium with top amenities would go a long way into revitalizing the downtown. It would bring revenue which would bring more entertainment like a movie theater, restaurants, retail and hotels. Huntsville has nothing currently downtown that can recruit that type of revenue.

If a new stadium is built it won't be for the Stars as they are leaving at the end of this season. Most likely it would be in a deal with another minor league team owner to lure in AAA baseball which would bring much more interest than AA has.

The stadium could also be a multi-use facility for local high school football and as an outdoor amphitheater for summer outdoor concerts.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 10:26 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Just look at the domino effect Montgomery's baseball stadium has caused. People were negative about it's inception as well.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 3:06 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
If a parking garage is built for a Publix at Council Court would we have to pay to park/shop? If it is free would it be far enough away from the hospital that people wouldn't just park there instead of paying to park closer to the hospital?
There will probably be two garages and it would most likely be pay, maybe you could get a stamp or something, way too early yet.
I guess there are over 10,000 people in a 1 mile radius that work and live
around this developmentk, two schools, 3-4 hotels..tremendous potential.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 3:08 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative View Post
This is the kind of pessimistic and negative thinking that has held Huntsville back while other smaller markets have moved ahead. It's time for Huntsvillians to start thinking positive.

Huntsville's downtown is DEAD. Nothing to do after dark. Adding a nice new modern day stadium with top amenities would go a long way into revitalizing the downtown. It would bring revenue which would bring more entertainment like a movie theater, restaurants, retail and hotels. Huntsville has nothing currently downtown that can recruit that type of revenue.

If a new stadium is built it won't be for the Stars as they are leaving at the end of this season. Most likely it would be in a deal with another minor league team owner to lure in AAA baseball which would bring much more interest than AA has.

The stadium could also be a multi-use facility for local high school football and as an outdoor amphitheater for summer outdoor concerts.
it won't be multi-use, the current stadium was designed that way hence the
long bleachers left field. There was some plan for an amphitheater between Constellation and the VBC.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 3:55 AM

Quote:

Where did you hear that the Stars are leaving, and for where?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 4:41 PM

A little clarification on the Stars leaving. Back last year, the owner of the Stars was going to relocate them to Pensacola, FL if stadium issues weren't resolved, which some were including lighting and flood problems. However, Mayor Battle convinced the owner to extend the stadium lease for five more years to 2016 to give the city time to decide on a new stadium or major upgrades to the current one. It would cost millions either way so investing in a new 21st century stadium, preferrably in downtown is the best option.

A new state-of-the art stadium in downtown of about 9,000 to 10,000 seat capacity could be built for about $30 million. Battle has proposed selling the stadium land to Wal-0Mart and using the proceeds to go towards a new stadium in downtown. Coke owns land across from the VBC where a stadium is ideal with Constellation nearby and the remodeled Propst Arena now completed, it's possible the city could offer Coke naming rights to the new park in return for their land which could help cover relocation costs for the company.

I have studied the downtown area for more than a year and there is only one other possible location that a stadium could go without tearing down older structures and taking up blocks and that would be the public housing section off of Clinton north of the proposed location and the VBC.

Memphis developed their beautiful Autozone Park by connecting two opened parcells and building office complexes around the outside and outfield areas. Now other cities are following their path by doing the same.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 8:02 PM

I guess I'm a pessimist since the same prognostications that are being made for a new stadium were made for the old one.
I guess I just dont get baseball. I can go to a Stars game for free at any time and have been to a total of 2.
Can we build an aquarium for $30million? Can we just lease the land to the team and let them build their own stadium, without public money?

A quick Google says the Memphis park seats 14,000 and cost $80million in 2005. The Memphis Park is run as a non-profit charity, as is the team, the only team to do that at the time.

I do know the folks that run the Coke plant, and the topic of giving up that land has come up before. It would a large stack of cash to get them off that piece of property. And, FWIW, they dont watch baseball either.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 9:36 PM

Why not tear down the Holiday Inn and Aquatic center and put it there. They could build another nicer hotel along the outfield fence of the ballpark. This seems like the most logical option as the city already owns the property.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 10:39 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp7123 View Post
Why not tear down the Holiday Inn and Aquatic center and put it there. They could build another nicer hotel along the outfield fence of the ballpark. This seems like the most logical option as the city already owns the property.
won't happen, already plans for that property, too small, too close to the park, poor enter and access.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 10:48 PM
America's Mars Rocket

A perfect location for Dunkin Doughnuts would be the Councill Court development. A bank, hotel, grocery store, condo/apartments and 4-5000
hospital workers all within walking distance.
That's gold, Jerry! Gold!"
One drawback is you already have to be rich to get in the franchise.

last year they had a seminar, anyone know how that went?
CANTON, MA--(Marketwire - 05/12/10) - Dunkin' Brands, Inc., the parent company of Dunkin' Donuts and Baskin-Robbins -- two of the world's most recognized and loved brands -- is expanding its presence in Huntsville with today's announcement of two franchise seminars on May 26th to discuss opportunities available in the market

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
A perfect location for Dunkin Doughnuts would be the Councill Court development. A bank, hotel, grocery store, condo/apartments and 4-5000
hospital workers all within walking distance.
That's gold, Jerry! Gold!"
One drawback is you already have to be rich to get in the franchise.

last year they had a seminar, anyone know how that went?
CANTON, MA--(Marketwire - 05/12/10) - Dunkin' Brands, Inc., the parent company of Dunkin' Donuts and Baskin-Robbins -- two of the world's most recognized and loved brands -- is expanding its presence in Huntsville with today's announcement of two franchise seminars on May 26th to discuss opportunities available in the market
I hope nobody drives into the front of the building this time.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 1:10 AM

It looks like the new Walmart on the west side of Madison is starting up. I saw some heavy equipment there today, and a little bit of clearing had already been done. I just hate that it is Walmart. Don't we have enough, already.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 12:30 PM
America's Mars Rocket

The City Council approved 10 million for a 3 story 750 space parking deck
for the proposed Councill Court development downtown. This was the biggest
stumbling gblock in this project which appears to be removed and now can proceed. Chapman Sisson Architects will design it, they have done a lot of the nearby Huntsville Hospital buildings.
Triad another developer on the site,( Big Spring Summit) plans to build a 75,000 sq ft building as well, a bank will occupy most of it. This is almost identical in size to the Summit building but depending on the footprint could be anywhere from 6-10 floors.
It will probably be 8. Don't want to get above the telephone poles.
Maybe a hotel will surprise us.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 2:06 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Constellation needs to get finished, these 10-15 year projects don't help much.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 6:01 PM

Quote:
The City Council approved 10 million for a 3 story 750 space parking deck
for the proposed Councill Court development downtown. This was the biggest
stumbling gblock in this project which appears to be removed and now can proceed. Chapman Sisson Architects will design it, they have done a lot of the nearby Huntsville Hospital buildings.
Triad another developer on the site,( Big Spring Summit) plans to build a 75,000 sq ft building as well, a bank will occupy most of it. This is almost identical in size to the Summit building but depending on the footprint could be anywhere from 6-10 floors.
It will probably be 8. Don't want to get above the telephone poles.
Maybe a hotel will surprise us.
It depends on where it will be built. If it's next to the Summit building on top of the old VBC parking garage then it could stand as tall as 10-12 stories from the ground up. It also depends on how narrow the structure will be. If it's on a small lot then it could be anywhere from 8-14 stories. Let's hope that's the case.

Another available location would be on the corner of Monroe and Clinton which is currently used as additional parking lot.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 7:02 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
It depends on where it will be built. If it's next to the Summit building on top of the old VBC parking garage then it could stand as tall as 10-12 stories from the ground up. It also depends on how narrow the structure will be. If it's on a small lot then it could be anywhere from 8-14 stories. Let's hope that's the case.

Another available location would be on the corner of Monroe and Clinton which is currently used as additional parking lot.

I was a bit confusing, the new Triad building will probably be on the corner of
Gallatin and St. Clair diagonally across from the main Huntsville Hospital parking garage.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 7:45 PM

Quote:
I was a bit confusing, the new Triad building will probably be on the corner of
Gallatin and St. Clair diagonally across from the main Huntsville Hospital parking garage.
Oh I thought you meant downtown by the park. Looking at the location you're talking about isn't too impressive considering it will be right by the hospital parking lot. I wouldn't expect it to be taller than the hospital.

Btw, I'm with you on Constellation getting done. I'll be happy just to see some dirt moved. Outside of the hotel, very depressing to see that nothing has happened at all in almost 2 years and counting.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 2:03 AM

Constellation definitely needs to start up or pick up. I know they built the new hotel and all but I thought they were going to start the new one in July. July's almost over. I've been in Tuscaloosa all summer and I could be wrong but I don't think they've started the new one yet. Hopefully they can start it pretty soon though if they haven't.
I like all of the progress with Council Court. It seems like its going to be done before constellation even takes off..If that ever happens.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast