HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 10:40 PM

ark, awfully nice of you to pull the 12 story single up. i knew it had been reviewed in jr's memphis sticky development. to me, i wasn't aware of the 2nd round. it's all about that slick melding of materials into those late 19th century structures. this could be so great to have 3 or four of these around the cbd. anybody like it?

the building in the south district can't be missed. many of the glass panes are missing, and i think it is covered in ivy or poison oak. black tar roof. probably 3 or 4 blocks from the peabody place building. jr knows the name of it, i think. anyway, it would be nice to see it gone and put a nice highrise in its place. now that i think about it this building may be some type of machine shop or warehouse. like i said, jr knows just about any question i've asked, so he probably told me.

i would love to see the city and some private investors and maybe some help from the ornamental museum come together, put the victorian village back in order, establish the old "four flames" restaurant that was on poplar for so long, put a few small high end shops (evelyn and crabtree), etc., and along that line. then, put gas lanterns in that entire district, and mark each end w/ ironwork from adams and jefferson ? down to adams and danny t. yes, that is a good deal of iron gate, but it could be a great area for bars, tea and coffee, smoothie, etc. each entrance would have a fixed canopy or iron, w/ the name "victorian district, victorian something." big gas lanterns marking main entrances. build a small park and fountain and a beautiful victorian gothic revival w/ clock, and about 130-150 ft high. challenge the jurnior league, beautification groups to use victorian plantings of varigated ivy, stock, cockscomb, snapdragons, foxglove, etc. i would contribute, wouldn't you?

didn't mem int get the #1 position in mt tons flown, after losing it in 2009?

Last edited by kingchef; Aug 9, 2012 at 11:11 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 2:38 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Yeah, I think we got back up to #1 in cargo.

Anyways, the Mallory-Neely house will reopen this fall, around the first week in November or so. I think I know the warehouse you're talking about, but I'll find a photo that I've taken and post it on here tomorrow some time.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 7:43 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Turf installation at the LB is pretty much wrapped up. I'm guessing it will be painted for Memphis' first home game here in the next couple of weeks. Also, the new video board is being installed now too. I'll try to get some photos of it later today or tomorrow.

I also got to check out the Annesdale Mansion yesterday afternoon. I won't post any photos in respect of the new owner, but it will be pretty sweet when the renovations are complete. He plans to live in the house as well as host weddings and other parties on the bottom floor as well as on the grounds. The grounds were looking very nice as well.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
Turf installation at the LB is pretty much wrapped up. I'm guessing it will be painted for Memphis' first home game here in the next couple of weeks. Also, the new video board is being installed now too. I'll try to get some photos of it later today or tomorrow.
^^Nice, the old Liberty is looking good. She still seats 62,000 after ADA compliance/ upgrades. From Wikipedia.com:
Quote:
In December 1983, the field was renamed Rex Dockery Field in honor of Rex Dockery, a former Memphis football coach who died in a plane crash.

The stadium played host to The Monsters of Rock Festival Tour, featuring Van Halen, Scorpions, Dokken, Metallica and Kingdom Come, on July 9, 1988.
The Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium's tenants now include Big East Conference football (starting 2013 season), Autozone Liberty Bowl, Southern Heritage Classic and a seemingly legit relaunch of the U.S. Football League with Memphis being amongst the first eight cities chosen. The USFL's website says play will begin for the spring/summer 2013 season.

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Aug 12, 2012 at 4:00 PM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 3:55 PM

Upscale Mexican restaurant Frida’s set to open in Midtown after complete renovation
Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
After a year of construction, Frida’s Restaurante Mexicano will open Aug. 13 in the former Zinnie’s East restaurant space.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/p...ridas-set.html

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 3:56 PM

Downtown Oxford Inn to be demolished; larger hotel planned
Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
A hotel in downtown Oxford, Miss., will be demolished and replaced with a larger hotel after the Ole Miss football season ends, according to an Associated Press report. Owners of the Downtown Oxford Inn plan for a new, four-story hotel with 120 rooms to replace the current 100-room hotel.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...emolished.html

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 3:56 PM

This premium sample includes a rendering of FedEx Corp.'s new $140 million investment into the Airport office submarket at their beautiful, sprawling CTC campus.

A2H opens Mississippi office to oversee construction of Baptist hospital
Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
A2H, a Memphis-based architecture and engineering firm, is opening an office in Oxford, Miss., the company’s fifth office in Tennessee and Mississippi. A2H employs 78 people in its Memphis, Hernando, Nashville and Jackson, Tenn. offices. Logan Meeks, one of the company’s principals, says the Oxford office will start out small with three people, but could grow to eight over the next year. The Oxford office will be located in 1,400 square feet in a former law office in the town square. The new office was prompted by work the firm is doing for Baptist Memorial Health Care Corp. on its ...
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/p...office-to.html

Rendering: Paradigm Marketing & Creative www.2dimes.com

Quote:
Artist'€s rendering of FedEx's flight simulation facility, one of two major projects involving Memphis firm A2H

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Aug 22, 2012 at 3:59 PM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 3:57 PM

West Memphis, AR's Southland Park has really come up in the past few years. Although, I heard when the facility first opened, before Tunica Resorts came to be one of the nation's largest gaming districts, that there was traffic backed up on I-40 from its' exit. I expect the West Memphis - Marion area to do considerably well in the coming years as their state house eyes growth in northwest Mississippi. The area has seen some gains in the manufacturing & tranportation sectors, a largely expanded MidSouth Community College system, double digit growth in Marion, infrastructure upgrades (including interstate highways) and newly announced funding for major intermodal/ river port expansion.

Southland Park completes $11 million renovation
Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
Southland Park Gaming & Racing has completed its $11 million renovation, which added more than 200 gaming machines to the facility. The renovations include the addition of the new Shine Blounge, a bar and lounge that includes video poker machines and broadcasts of live sporting events... The facility was last renovated in 2007, when Delaware North invested $40 million to add 600 gaming machines and other amenities to Southland Park.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...1-million.html

MBJ

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 3:59 PM

Developers' vision would bring Hotel Chisca back from brink
The Commercial Appeal

Quote:
Like the Chisca, the former Rhodes-Jennings building at Main and Jefferson was slowly disintegrating and seemingly hopeless from a development standpoint, but popularly demanded renovations made it a jewel of Main Street's ongoing renaissance. It has been turned into apartments and re-christened the B. Lowenstein & Sons building, after its earlier incarnation as a department store. The old Illinois Central train station on South Main, though in better repair, also languished vacant for years before the city led a redevelopment. It houses Amtrak, Memphis Area Transit Authority facilities, retail and apartments. Developers who spearheaded One Commerce Square's redevelopment have a contract to buy the Chisca from the Church of God in Christ for $700,000. They propose to spend $20 million to $24 million turning it into 150 to 195 apartments plus street-level retail. The council vote assured the public part of a public-private partnership, clearing the way for developers to secure $17 million to $21 million in private investment. Developers and project advocates at the Downtown Memphis Commission maintained the project would never be economically viable without public incentives, and that the building would otherwise continue to decay and detract from billions in Downtown revitalization, including the $250 million FedExForum three blocks to the east.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...es-history-in/

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Feb 1, 2017 at 3:49 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 5:54 PM

New (Methodist) hospital rising slowly in Olive Branch
The Commercial Appeal

Quote:
Construction on the 100-bed hospital near U.S. 78 and Bethel Road is set to be complete next summer, with the facility becoming operational that fall. The hospital will have five floors and include a two-story atrium.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...-olive-branch/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rendering from: http://www.methodisthealth.org/locat...ital/index.dot
OxBlue Cam: http://oxblue.com/open/turner/olivebranch

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Feb 1, 2017 at 3:50 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 6:50 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^Dang, they're splurging down in Olive Branch with the Oxblue cam.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 10:04 PM

appears to be a good deal of positive news for the metro. it is refreshing and important to many of us to keep up w/ the news in forums such as this one. when i let myself, i read the CA comments, and i generally stop about half way through, when i realize it is wildly gloom and doom scenarios, most likely by people who have no investment in memphis, shelby county, nor the metro. it is sad, but some of them are paid to blog about negativity, alleged failures, and the like in the big "M" and her ground.

the best job that the local news seems to be able to do is use the largest number of descriptives (adjectives), when telling the community the obvious tolls of a shuddered building over a 30-40 year period, etc. the good news is that a building is being saved that has much potential and memphis history involving globally known entertainers. i think it is a good thing to have this type of housing downtown. it is a win-win for the city, the district, and the citizens who will occupy the space. it would be nice to see the opening of a recording studio or radio station in part of the retail space. perhaps, a diner specializing in memphis favorites, that helps keep us fat. nothing really fancy, but food that is comforting and good.

i am glad to see the progress at the methodist-olive branch future hospital, and the fedex rendering. i continue to hope for some skyscrapers and the refreshing of the downtown skyline. maybe some encouragement by leadership to put corporate headquarters in buildings downtown would be a good thing. some incentives. add floors to existing buildings and creating from the ground up. it is sort of mind boggling to see the amount of warehousing in south memphis, too, the amount of corporate campus land consumption. many of those corporate buildings would add a good deal of flash, spark, and color to the downtown. my bet would be that many in shelby county are not even aware that these attractive buildings exist.

nevertheless, it seems as if the area is doing well, despite much of the comment by those who would love to see a crash and burn scenario for the metro or even a memphis give-away to ms, reportedly by some of our tn natives. shameful!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 1:38 PM

Here's the new under-construction Masjid Ar-Rahman mosque in southeast Memphis. Follow the "Rendering" link to their website and there is a youtube video posted which shows a lot more design & dimension.

Rendering: http://www.masjid-arrahman.org/Default.aspx

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Aug 20, 2012 at 3:24 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 3:21 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^^Judging by the renderings and elevations included in the YouTube video, this should be a very nice project, but that didn't quite transfer over to the construction photos. I'll have to see the final product before I judge it too harshly though.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 6:17 PM

A nod to a local faith-based healthcare organization that does much good for the "working poor" citizenry of the Memphis metro and those who simply cannot afford health insurance. Memphis is very fortunate to have such facilities like the Church Health Center and the Shelby Co.-owned Regional Medical Center of Memphis, "the Med". Especially in today's healthcare environment.

Church Health Center unveils dental clinic
The Memphis Daily News

Quote:
Today the Church Health Center – the largest faith-based clinic of its kind in the nation – operates on a $13 million annual budget, all of which is raised through private funding and with no federal dollars. The nonprofit logged about 39,000 patient visits in 2011, and includes a staff of more than 200, plus hundreds of community members who volunteer their time and services.
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...xpanding-care/

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Aug 20, 2012 at 3:27 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 6:38 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
Here's the new under-construction Masjid Ar-Rahman mosque in southeast Memphis. Follow the "Rendering" link to their website and their is a youtube video posted which shows a lot more design & dimension.

Rendering: http://www.masjid-arrahman.org/Default.aspx
Wow that's huge. Is there a large muslim community in Memphis? And if so, about what percentage are immigrants and how much is home grown?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 7:18 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Wow that's huge. Is there a large muslim community in Memphis? And if so, about what percentage are immigrants and how much is home grown?
In 2008, there was an estimated 10,000-15,000 in Memphis, and roughly 20,000 in Nashville. You've probably seen on the news where some small minded people in Murfreesboro had been trying to stop the opening of the mosque there, but it was finally granted occupancy last week. Here's an article from a few years ago with links to some website for more info.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/08/09...lamic-centers/

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 11:37 PM

regarding the church health organization and memphis, i think an outgrowth of the former mifa program, it was originally recognized as a national model for large urban areas. mifa, for whom i had a great deal of contact, in order to help those who needed its services, meals on wheels, aged services, etc., has been, and continues to be a wonderful source for outreach in memphis. it is somewhat ironic that many people only hear about the poverty, the poor, the drags on community services, and the like, but, really, considering the number of people served, memphis is a city that takes care of its own, gives back to its own, and gives to other communities in times of need. memphis is not just a community of takers, and though they get a great deal of the negative attention, there are so many in the metro---through agencies, churches, civic organizations, corporate, and private foundations---that give a great deal to the poor, to those down on their luck, the unfortunate victims of crime, and those just passing through our city.

i, for one, am very proud of the legacy memphis has as a city of "firsts" in the medical community. hospitals, clinics, national models, and other areas. many of these things go unnoticed, but there is a good deal to be proud of in this city and metro. even though it goes back a good while, i'm thankful for the sacrifices of those of old St. Mary's church, now the cathedral of w. tn, the lives they saved through their medical service and the help and comfort they gave to the dying, during the yellow fever outbreak. again, there is so much more to memphis, and it is good to see concentration on the good and caring actions and work and the bones of the city (no pun intended) and community.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 1:52 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^Well said chef.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 2:58 AM
Ex Houstonian

Glad they are preserve the Hotel Chisca. Memphis seems somehow more progressive then even Houston when it comes to historic preservation, but then again, Memphis is a much more historic city. Talking about preservation, did they end up restoring or improving the old boat landing along the Mississippi ever?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations