HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 1:50 AM

welll.... I got hired at Sobeys, then a few days later Zellers called me asking if I wanted my job back because one of the other guys was leaving. In the end he didn't leave but i wasn't getting all the hours I wanted at Sobeys so i just kept both jobs. Hoping that Sobeys picks up soon lol I'm getting tired of the driving

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Bid for idle foundry lacks support, not viable: Landry
Posted on June 15, 2011 Steve Goodwin

The Dexter government’s refusal to transfer a $2 million loan to fund the reopening of a foundry in New Glasgow is moot if people don’t want it operating there, Justice Minister Ross Landry says.
Landry, who is also the MLA for Pictou Centre, said he is compelled to represent groups and individuals who don’t want Maritime Steel and Foundries Ltd. to reopen at its current site near New Glasgow’s downtown.
They include the Town of New Glasgow, which wants the plant demolished and the land remediated to be developed as green space along the East River.
“If Maritime Steel moves, New Glasgow’s a big winner,” Landry said. “It has to be a service, residential and commercial entity in the county. I’m focused on a healthy and safe community.”
Landry was responding to comments by Ontario businessman Abbas Jafarnia, who said he hopes the government will reconsider and transfer the loan to him.
Jafarnia was given an extension to July to complete the purchase of the idle plant. His $3 million bid includes a $1 million commitment by investors in Iran.
But Landry said the government only wants to fund ventures that make economic and financial sense. “We have to look at its viability,” he said. “We have to look at where we want to put investments. Being an MLA for Pictou Centre I don’t see it being a viable plan. When it came to that we had to say no.”
Jafarnia said he’s mystified over provincial and municipal government’s rejection of his plan to reopen the existing plant. He said he has received better co-operation to reopen a similar facility in Northern Ontario.
Jafarnia’s bid is the preferred one by BDO Canada receiver Paul Goodman because it pays off creditors owed money when the plant owner Cameron Corp. closed it last fall, claiming it was owed nearly $20 million.
The other bid is from 3-D Auto Parts which withdrew its bid and has since said it has considered making a new offer that includes tearing down the plant after taking out its equipment and building a new facility in Westville.
http://www.pictouadvocate.com/2011/0...viable-landry/

Quote:
Winds of change

grand opening of a new wind turbine tower and blade operation Tuesday officially signalled the transformation of a former railcar plant in Trenton.
Premier Darrell Dexter and Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering Ltd. (DSME) president and CEO Sang-Tae Nam celebrated the grand opening of DSME Trenton Ltd. (DSTN) during a ceremony on the shop floor.
“This investment is already creating the good jobs the province needs while showcasing Nova Scotia as a leader in renewable energy,” Dexter said. “By locating in Nova Scotia, DSME showed their foresight, trust and commitment to succeed.”
Dexter and Nam officially completed the plant’s conversion by starting the company’s production line.
Currently the plant has more than 150 workers, including nearly 50 former TrentonWorks employees, and will continue to expand as new orders are received. The plant already has orders for 30 towers.
“We are very pleased with the results of our expansion into the North American market, and our strong partnership with the province and the Pictou area,” said DSTN CEO Nam-Ki Lee. “The progress we see here today underlines that we are well on our way to creating a renewable energy cluster in Nova Scotia.”
The province secured a 49 per cent stake in the operation through investments made in 2010 to establish DSTN as a joint venture between the province and DSME at the former TrentonWorks site. The venture also received $10 million in federal funding.
The grand opening helps highlight the Town of Trenton’s celebrations marking 100 years of incorporation, Mayor Glen MacKinnon said.
“This is what it’s all about,” he said. “This is a great day for Trenton and for the area. What better way to start the next century? It bodes well for the next 100 years.”
Defence Minister Peter MacKay, in a video message from Ottawa, praised the dedication of stakeholders in securing a new tenant for the Trenton facility in an emerging renewable energy venture.
“This is truly a celebration — a celebration of hard work, a celebration of dedication and of never giving up,” he said. “DSME is a breath of new life for the town of Trenton and for our whole province.”
http://www.pictouadvocate.com/2011/0...nds-of-change/

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Pictou meeting with province to discuss plan for smoother traffic entry

PICTOU – Pictou West MLA Charlie Parks says “anything is possible” when the Town of Pictou meets with the province next week to discuss a new design of Shiretown’s front porch.
Parker said he has arranged a meeting between town officials and Minister of Transportation Bill Estabrooks for Tuesday in Halifax where many issues are expected to be discussed, including the possible sale or transfer of provincial lands to the town so it can make better use of the busy traffic strip.
“I think it is a good proposal,” he said of an engineering study released Wednesday that outlines the Shiretown’s plans for development of two busy roadways at the entrance of the town. “It’s good to meet face to face and have a dialogue about it.”
Parker said he applauded the town for doing its homework on the issue and will be in attendance.
The town hired traffic engineer consultants delphiMRC last year to look at ways to improve traffic flow and create commercial development opportunities on West River Road, Weaver Road and Veterans Drive in Pictou.
The areas of concern encompass the entrance of the town that lead to Sobeys, Tim Hortons and the Nova Scotia Scotia Liqour Commission store in the Bonny Blink Shopping Plaza. Such businesses draw heavy traffic on a regular basis so the engineers thought the construction of a traffic circle near the plaza, along with the relocation of Veterans Park and the soccer field, would help with traffic problems and create new areas for commercial development.
Plans were presented to council and the public during a meeting earlier this week, but the major point of interest for most in attendance was the future of Veterans Drive.
Engineers suggested that if a roundabout was built on West River Road that Veterans Drive could be closed to thru traffic, alleviating their concerns about heavy traffic volumes and poor road conditions.
“Veterans Drive is very important to us,” said Deputy Mayor Ken Johnston, adding that residents should also be taking their concerns to Parker. “You can call Charlie Parker any time you want. I realize it’s a slow process, but I think we are one stop closer and much closer than we were, but this does hinge on what happens in Halifax on Tuesday.”
When one resident questioned what the town was hoping to get out of the meeting with province, Johnston told them to look at the success of the Albion Power Centre
http://www.ngnews.ca/News/Local/2011...raffic-entry/1

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Civic centre will provide new opportunities for the region

By Kathy Sutherland
Special to the Truro Daily News
With summer just around the corner, the excitement amongst the project and the Ignite the Spirit campaign is heating up.
The spirit will be ignited in Truro on Friday, Aug. 5th when Canadian band Blue Rodeo arrives to perform in an outdoor fundraising concert at the Nova Scotia Provincial Exhibition grounds in support of the Ignite the Spirit campaign.
Three opening bands will take the stage before Blue Rodeo, including The Heartbroken, Carleton Stone and Jimmy Rankin. Tickets are $45 plus service fees and tax in advance, and $55 plus service fees and tax at the door.
They are on sale now and available at the Marigold centre, MacQuarrie's Pharmsave (The Esplanade) and online at www.marigoldcentre.ca.
When the centre opens in 2012, it will provide new and exciting opportunities for central Nova Scotia. One will be the capability to accommodate large events, such as concerts and tradeshows. Below is a breakdown of what the seating capacities will be:
Spectator sport with ice
Fixed seats: 2,562
Barrier-free seats: 10
Seats in party skybox: 31
Total seating for ice sports: 2,603
Tradeshow/convention
Fixed Seats: 2,562
Barrier Free Seats: 10
Seats in party skybox: 31
Standing/sitting on floor: 542
Total seating for tradeshows/conventions: 3,145
Concerts
Fixed Seats: 1,553 (stage positioning will eliminate seating)
Seats on floor: 1,600
Total Seating for Concerts: 3,153
These capacities, coupled with a well thought out acoustics plan, will provide the opportunity for central Nova Scotia to host new and exciting events. These events will have a significant economic and cultural impact on the region, as people will stay in hotels, eat in restaurants, shop downtown, and soon Truro will become known as an event destination.
Construction of the civic centre continues to move along on schedule and those closest to the project continue to get asked many questions about the progress being made at the site.
One question is, ‘Where the parking will be, and how many spots will be available?' At this point, given all the movement and equipment on the site, it is difficult to visualize the on-site parking arrangement, but the 500 parking spots will be located on both the east and west sides of the site, on either side of the centre. These spots will provide ample parking for everyday activities at the centre. Alternate parking arrangements have been made for the three to five times a year that the centre is expected to be sold out for events.
Be sure to purchase your tickets for the Blue Rodeo concert. It is a prelude to the types of shows the new centre will have the ability to host when opened in 2012.
If you have any questions or would like to share any comments, feel free to contact us at ignitethespirit@colchester.ca or call 893-9706 or visit us online at www.ignitethespirit.ca
TAGLINE: Kathy Sutherland is the fundraising/public relations co-ordinator for the Central Nova Scotia Civic Centre Project. She lives in Truro.
http://www.trurodaily.com/News/Local...r-the-region/1

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Amherst could be home to new call centre

AMHERST - The president and CEO of a Prince Edward Island-based customer support centre is impressed with what he has seen in Amherst as he assesses the possibility of opening a call centre in this community.
"We're here to do an assessment of the area. We know there are great people in Amherst and we need to see if we're a good fit for Amherst and Amherst is a good fit for us," Kent MacPhee of Advantage Communications said after speaking to just over 30 people during the first of two information sessions on Thursday. "There's talent here and industry experience with a pretty good track record."
While the company is interested in Amherst, MacPhee said it will be next month before he's in a position to determine whether Advantage Communications will establish an operation in Amherst.

He's very aware of what transpired here last year when Colorado-based TeleTech Holdings abruptly pulled its customer support centre out of Amherst throwing more than 200 out of work. One thing going for Advantage Communications, he said, is its track record of putting employees first and never leaving a community in which it has established itself.
"We are an Atlantic company that has a focus on this region," he said. "Our focus for growth is within Atlantic Canada. There are several communities in Atlantic Canada where the same opportunity exists, where there is experience. This is the one that appeals to us the most."
http://www.cumberlandnewsnow.com/New...-call-centre/1

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 3:23 PM

Quote:
New development proposed for East River Road in New Glasgow
http://ecfm.ca/story.php?view=3870

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 8:00 PM

Cool, I wonder if we will get a rendering for this. 4-stories will make an impact here.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1gray View Post
Cool, I wonder if we will get a rendering for this. 4-stories will make an impact here.
Yea it will definitley be a good addition around here.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 10:43 PM

I managed to find a rendering

from:http://firstmutualproperties.com/fir...715_31318.html

looks pre good. basic... but good i suppose

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 2:31 AM

Nice find David, It looks pretty good, should be a great addition!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Location key to success: Paul Brown

Posted on June 29, 2011 Steve Goodwin

Location is a more accurate and important measure than tax regimes in determining where to build a business, Paul Brown says.
The consultant who is developing the Albion Place power centre says the low number of lots designated for food outlets and the power centre’s site lines in relation to Highway 104 make it crucial for prospective tenants wishing to locate there to commit sooner than later.
He was responding to indications by Brownstone Café Ltd., which is a registered tenant in the centre, across Lawrence Boulevard from both the existing Holiday Inn Express and the Access Nova Scotia motor vehicle building that’s under construction. But the group has since been considering whether to locate here or in Antigonish due to the difference in the towns’ commercial rates. Stellarton’s rate is $4.15 per $1,000, Antigonish’s is $1.40.
“We haven’t decided yet,” Brownstone president Joan MacLellan said. “We hope to know this month. We’re crunching numbers for both locations. I like the area. I think it would do really well there.”
Brown says Albion’s location and the potential business from traffic outweighs the commercial rate in Stellarton.
“I can think of places where the commercial tax is really low, but I’d starve to death,” he said. “Traffic into Access Nova Scotia is high, and we have very few food lots. By next spring we’ll be inundated with food requests and we’ll have no food lots left.”
Brownstone will offer a Mediterranean cuisine with both indoor and outdoor seating that Brown says makes it a unique fine dining option in Pictou County but would compete against other establishments in Antigonish.
“This is an area that has an extremely high requirement for fine dining,” he said.
http://www.pictouadvocate.com/2011/0...ss-paul-brown/

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Committee recommends site for new P-8 school
Published on July 5, 2011

Jennifer Vardy Little
TRURO – The school selection committee looking at sites for the new P-8 school felt so strongly about the location they've chosen that they offered only one location as a recommendation to the province, instead of the usual three. ...
http://www.ngnews.ca/News/Local/2011...ew-P8-school/1

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
YMCA facility at Wellness Centre dedicated to the Lockes

Published on July 5, 2011

WESTVILLE – Honoured for their hard work in bringing the YMCA to Pictou County, many years ago, the new Y facility at the Wellness Centre has been dedicated to Dr. Howard and Elsie Locke. ...
http://www.ngnews.ca/News/Local/2011...o-the-Lockes/1

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 12:33 PM

A rough drawing I made of the new layout of highway 104 in Sutherland's River's new Exit 27 interchange.

Black-east and west bound twined highway lane's

Yellow-new exit's onto highway 104 east and west bound lanes, and Pinetree and school road

Red-new overpass's and bridge's

Green-new road to access route 245(shore road) and trunk 4 (Telford etc.)

Orange-new roundabout's

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 8:30 PM

good work logan. I drive by here atleast 3 or 4 times a week usually. It's going to get interesting as the summer goes on, thats for sure. Right now when you drive by, you can see where the new connecting road for the shore road, etc. will be going.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1gray View Post
good work logan. I drive by here atleast 3 or 4 times a week usually. It's going to get interesting as the summer goes on, thats for sure. Right now when you drive by, you can see where the new connecting road for the shore road, etc. will be going.
Thank's David, it's going to be different down there , I think it will work well, that intersection there now can be a pain to cross.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 5:55 PM

oh I hear ya on that one. I'm just glad that this is being twinned. That road is awful. Not because of the road itself.....because of the stupid people driving on it.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 10:51 PM

Yea, not to many have a clue on that stretch, going to feel alot safer on it when it's completed.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Tender issued for dismantling of old nurses' residence

Published on July 10, 2011
The News

NEW GLASGOW – The Pictou County Health Authority is one step closer to seeing the old nurses residence come tumbling down.

A call for tender has been issued for a company to do the work to remove the aging structure, a project the health authority has been talking about for a number of years now.

The PCHA has stated in the past that it costs about $25,000 a year to operate the building and it is currently not meeting the health authority's needs.

It had hoped to have the building vacant by last fall so that it wouldn't have to heat it throughout the winter, but that didn't happen.
http://www.ngnews.ca/News/Local/2011...es-residence/1

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 2:19 AM

Quote:
School site selections to go to province next week

AMHERST - The two site selections for the new West Highlands School will be sent to the province this coming week.

Carolyn Pierce, communications manager for Chignecto-Central Regional School Board, said the board will be sending off the two sites - one of Harold Lusby and the other of Roymac - for assessment.

"It could take several months," said Pierce, in regards to how long it could take before the board hears back from the province on the sites they've recommended.

"It depends, because they do assessments as well that are more in depth than we do."

http://www.amherstdaily.com/News/Loc...ce-next-week/1

figured amherst needs some showing in here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces