HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 6:59 PM

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Fixed - with what looks like a substantially smaller culvert:
That's an interesting photo. It looks like the workmen are standing on the bottom of the old culvert, and if that's true and if it's at the same depth as the bottom of the exposed portion of old culvert going under the freeway, it would mean that the old culvert's cross-section is oval rather than circular. That seems very unusual. If true, it would certainly go a long way toward explaining why it might collapse.

You'd think that the same issue would be true of the old section running under the remaining width of the freeway. I wonder if they installed the new one all the way through and then tried to fill in the gap between them?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 11:18 PM

How can a stoplight cost $200 000? That money would be better spent on building a roundabout instead...

Quote:
4-way stop baffles Burnaby drivers

CBC's Shane Foxman has uncovered a four-way fiasco at one problematic intersection in Burnaby, B.C.

Residents of the area told CBC News that on many occasions they've almost been hit trying to cross the street at Smith Avenue and Kincaid Street.

One of them was so concerned after seeing a neighbour get hit by an errant driver he decided to start a petition to ask the city to do something to fix traffic at the intersection.

"We hung out at the intersection of and Kincaid and Smith for a little over an hour, and it was absolutely amazing what we saw," said CBC's Shane Foxman.

As CBC News interviewed pedestrians and one Burnaby city councillor at the problem crossing, car after car just rolled through without stopping.

So what will the City of Burnaby do?

It sounds as though a new stoplight installation, which will cost over $200,000, will have to go in. Nothing else the city has tried so far has worked.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...vers-1.2764122

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
That's an interesting photo. It looks like the workmen are standing on the bottom of the old culvert, and if that's true and if it's at the same depth as the bottom of the exposed portion of old culvert going under the freeway, it would mean that the old culvert's cross-section is oval rather than circular. That seems very unusual. If true, it would certainly go a long way toward explaining why it might collapse.

You'd think that the same issue would be true of the old section running under the remaining width of the freeway. I wonder if they installed the new one all the way through and then tried to fill in the gap between them?
Yes, it does look oval, doesn't it?
I was thinking that the ridges could have been the claw marks from the excavator, but they looks metallic.
It's also not clear how far across the highway the new pipe extends.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 4:49 PM

Anyone know whats happening on powell? They closed off the new section and all the side streets

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 7:01 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

east side half marathon this morning. Is it just me are is it getting to the point of ridiculous the amount of races these days, there is one every other week.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 7:00 PM

Pitt River Bridge on last Sunday.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
How can a stoplight cost $200 000? That money would be better spent on building a roundabout instead...
Roundabout would be quite a bit more than $200,000.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Roundabout would be quite a bit more than $200,000.
Give me that $200 000 or only $100 000 and I build you one damn roundabout myself (and live rest of the year happily). The price of labor has gotten ridiculous if these are the prices for such a basic infrastructure...

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 1:13 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Give me that $200 000 or only $100 000 and I build you one damn roundabout myself (and live rest of the year happily). The price of labor has gotten ridiculous if these are the prices for such a basic infrastructure...
My wife and I seriously looked at being flaggers since it would be a pay raise from our specialized skill jobs (both BCIT grads). Unfortunately you need to know someone to get in it seems.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 4:58 AM
Transit User

Quote:
Thank unions plus development mafia that has, is and will always be running this city...Anything that is done locally is astronomically expensive...We live in the world where I can buy a tablet for $200 that takes all our civilization knowledge and know how to build and at the same time I need to pay $200 to have some dude connect a hose to my washer when I buy a new one (well actually I can do that myself for $0, but still you get my point).

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Yes, it does look oval, doesn't it?
I was thinking that the ridges could have been the claw marks from the excavator, but they looks metallic.
It's also not clear how far across the highway the new pipe extends.
The old culvert is an arch culvert "muli-plate." You can't buy them off the shelf so I'm sure they just slid the round culvert in. It's all tidal in Richmond so the pipe capacity isn't for storage but for conveyance.

On another note, it looks like that worker is in an unshored excavation...pictures can be deceiving though.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post
Thank unions plus development mafia that has, is and will always be running this city...Anything that is done locally is astronomically expensive...We live in the world where I can buy a tablet for $200 that takes all our civilization knowledge and know how to build and at the same time I need to pay $200 to have some dude connect a hose to my washer when I buy a new one (well actually I can do that myself for $0, but still you get my point).
The $200k figure doesn't really surprise me given city engineering costs, electrical work, construction work, and materials. A project I've been involved with requires a rail crossing on a minor street (crossing signal with the arms that lower) and the cost is probably $150k.

I know that Burnaby intersection fairly well and have seen people blow through the stop sign; however, I think that a traffic light there is overkill. My proposed solution would be to place speed bumps where the white stop lines are. That would probably only cost $50k and wouldn't cause unnecessary delays when people get to the intersection.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 6:42 PM
More Towers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth View Post
The $200k figure doesn't really surprise me given city engineering costs, electrical work, construction work, and materials. A project I've been involved with requires a rail crossing on a minor street (crossing signal with the arms that lower) and the cost is probably $150k.

I know that Burnaby intersection fairly well and have seen people blow through the stop sign; however, I think that a traffic light there is overkill. My proposed solution would be to place speed bumps where the white stop lines are. That would probably only cost $50k and wouldn't cause unnecessary delays when people get to the intersection.
Exactly, I was expecting someone to blow through the intersection and it's just pretty much a rolling stop that you see at any other four way stop in the city.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCvl View Post
The old culvert is an arch culvert "muli-plate."
So - squarish sections that are bolted together horizontally and circumfrencially?

I'm no engineer, but it seems to me that an oval culvert would have less crush resistance than a round one, unless the extra thickness where the bolted-together sections overlap help to make it more rigid.

I was pondering whether the original culvert being oval had anything to do with its collapse.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
My wife and I seriously looked at being flaggers since it would be a pay raise from our specialized skill jobs (both BCIT grads). Unfortunately you need to know someone to get in it seems.
That could explain a few things...

I will speak no more on this topic.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 6:21 AM

The Highway 99 / 16th Avenue interchange is now open.

Quote:
[Jay Porter, senior project manager for the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure’s South Coast Region], was present for the hastily-called official opening of the $24-million freeway interchange last Wednesday, where local and regional politicians made much of the new structure’s ability to accommodate growing cross-border travel and reduce traffic congestion by providing on- and off-ramps to Highway 99.

The new interchange also features signalized crossings for pedestrians and cyclists, and wider sidewalks, they added.
Peace Arch News
http://www.peacearchnews.com/news/275210311.html

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 11:36 PM

http://www.journalofcommerce.com/Inf...eted-1002017W/

Quote:
Unprecedented 12-partner B.C. project completed

Sept 16, 2014

BY RUSSELL HIXSON - The opening of the Mufford Crescent overpass in Langley B.C. marked the end of all nine Roberts Bank Rail Corridor (RBRC) infrastructure improvement projects.

The partners included the federal government, the Province of British Columbia, Port Metro Vancouver, TransLink, the City of Surrey, the City of Langley, the Township of Langley, the Corporation of Delta, Canadian Pacific Railway (CP), Canadian National Railway (CN), the British Columbia Railway Company (BCRC), and the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corporation.

Photo: Russell Hixson
http://www.journalofcommerce.com/Inf...eted-1002017W/

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 7:59 PM
See ya down under, mates

The Keith road extension has been off-and-on open to cars recently

Can't wait until it's done (completion date is "fall"), along with the bridge shortly after. Should ease a lot of the congestion around my condo.

Quote:
In December, 2012, Council approved rezoning for the Seylynn Village Development. A requirement of the project is a new road connecting the Keith Road Bridge with the Highway 1 interchange. Related to this improvement, a new intersection will be developed at Keith Road and Mountain Highway, and Fern Street will become a neighbourhood street.

As the road is new, construction impacts on traffic are expected to be limited. The new road connection will be completed prior to any changes in traffic capacity on existing Fern Street.

The Keith Road extension is anticipated to enhance liveability and community connections in the emerging Lower Lynn Town Centre and will have broad benefits for east-west traffic movements in the District. Making Fern Street a local road allows for the re-integration and connection of the Seylynn Village community to the rest of Lower Lynn.
http://www.dnv.org/article.asp?a=5642

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 3:26 AM

The Iron Worker's new railings have started arriving at a staging area in the middle of the Main St. off ramp loop. Sadly, they look quite large and bulky, not small like the GEB rails.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure