HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 2:10 PM

Low ceilings, Nice selling point for NBA allstar game.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopdx View Post
He must have been looking at the elevation number on page 7.
Got it. That's the height of the ground above sea level. Not the building height.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 4:14 AM

You gents are right. The render looked so stubby I didn't give it much thought. It certainly looked like a 120' building.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 5:13 PM

I listened to 3 hours of Design Commission audio so that you don't have to. In summary, all the Commissioner had the same concerns about the superblock plaza that I do.

Their concerns were that one of the biggest problems with MLK Blvd—and the Lloyd District is general—is a lack of defined building edges, and pulling the hotel back from that edge will do nothing to improve that. Given the speed of the traffic on MLK, it's unlikely to be a very welcoming space, no matter how good the landscaping is. Phrases like "windswept plaza" were mentioned.

The applicants were encouraged to look at other ways of meeting the intent of the zoning code, which is to create permeability through large blocks, and avoid oppressively large 400' long facades. They were basically told that if they were able to come up with a better solution to the problem, the Commission would be happy to modify or even waive the superblock plaza requirements.

Potential solutions suggested including making a wider than standard sidewalk along Holladay, with smaller pockets of public space at key points. Another was an atrium open to the public. It wasn't mentioned, but I couldn't help thinking of San Francisco's Privately-Owned Public Open Spaces (POPOS) [PDF]. Given how miserable the weather can be in Portland during the winter, wouldn't it lovely to have an indoor winter garden? Some images of how this has been achieved in San Francisco:

101 Second St

Citigroup Center

I don't think it's open to the public, but one of my favorite atriums in the world is the Ford Foundation in New York, by my heroes Roche-Dinkeloo:

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 8:23 PM

So does noone other than me have an opinion on the plaza issue? Anyway, the project is having another appearance before the Design Commission on January 15th. Hopefully they're taking their time to rethink the plaza strategy.

Last edited by maccoinnich; Oct 16, 2014 at 9:10 PM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
So does noone other than me have an opinion at the plaza issue? Anyway, the project is having another appearance before the Design Commission on January 15th. Hopefully they're taking their time to rethink the plaza strategy.
I remember reading your post and thinking you had it spot on. here's another image to add to your collection above:

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 10:19 PM

Where is that? At first I thought it was the British museum courtyard by Foster.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Where is that? At first I thought it was the British museum courtyard by Foster.
in DC at the national portrait gallery:

http://www.npg.si.edu/inform/courtyard.html

by Gustafson Guthrie Nichol

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
in DC at the national portrait gallery:

http://www.npg.si.edu/inform/courtyard.html

by Gustafson Guthrie Nichol
... and probably more importantly Sir Norman Foster:

http://www.fosterandpartners.com/pro...n-institution/

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 5:07 PM

Quote:
So does noone other than me have an opinion on the plaza issue? Anyway, the project is having another appearance before the Design Commission on January 15th. Hopefully they're taking their time to rethink the plaza strategy.
I agree fully with what you said; I just didn't comment, because "hey I think so too" doesn't add much to the conversation. Let's hope whatever gets built is better than this.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 6:25 PM
Karma Police

Plazas need well-defined edges to be successful with active uses all around. Putting a plaza on the NW corner of MLK and Holladay is a huge mistake, because it not only breaks both the MLK and Holladay street walls, but it detracts from the much larger OCC plaza across the street. The hotel needs to be the northern edge of THAT plaza, not trying to provide its own. It would be as if Director Park was built right next to Pioneer Square.... both plazas would suffer from a lack of clearly defined space.

I think because the MAX station is right there, wider sidewalks would be appropriate. But the hotel structure needs to reach all the way to the corner of MLK and Holladay.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 6:59 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
Plazas need well-defined edges to be successful with active uses all around.
I agree completely. A plaza without a well defined edge becomes a vacant space that separates people from whatever is on the other side rather than being a welcoming public space.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 1:20 AM

I Don't Get It

Alright, perhaps someone wiser than I can explain to me why the city and Metro are allowing a parking tower to occupy a lot adjacent to the new HQ Hotel instead of requiring that the parking is incorporated into the hotel tower.
The height limit on the OCC hotel lot is currently 325' and according to Places Over Time blog, article "A Change of Height" from March 2014, the NE Quadrant Plan proposes to increase the height of the hotel lot to 460' with the adoption of the 2035 plan. So, currently the hotel height limit is 325 feet and within the next 12-24 months it is proposed to rise another 135 feet. The hotel is posturing for 19-21 stories and I assume, emphasize assume, that the height would fall between 200 and 230 feet. Next door a parking tower is proposed on a lot that will also increase from a 250 foot height limit to a 325 foot height limit under the 2035 plan. It appears that the parking tower will be located on the lot which was previously identified for the 100 Multnomah office building. This building, I believe, appears in the background of all the Hyatt renderings for the new hotel.
The parking tower will, I assume, be in the range of four to eight stories and take up a block of prime development land. If the city plan is to increase density and height in this area and create an urban center, per the NE Quadrant Plan, then why isn't the city or Metro working toward this right now? Including the parking element within the hotel itself would add height but not exceed the current maximum height limit and it would preserve the neighboring lot for future mixed use, dynamic and dense development centrally located between the Convention Center, Rose Quarter, HQ Hotel and the new east side core.
Other than being potentially more expense for the developer, what am I missing? Shouldn't we plan ahead, using the considerable time and investment in the NE Quadrant Plan to maximize our resources and meet the density goals which were established? Especially when Metro is the agency partnering here, why is a stand alone parking tower even on the table???

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORNative View Post
Alright, perhaps someone wiser than I can explain to me why the city and Metro are allowing a parking tower to occupy a lot adjacent to the new HQ Hotel instead of requiring that the parking is incorporated into the hotel tower.
The height limit on the OCC hotel lot is currently 325' and according to Places Over Time blog, article "A Change of Height" from March 2014, the NE Quadrant Plan proposes to increase the height of the hotel lot to 460' with the adoption of the 2035 plan. So, currently the hotel height limit is 325 feet and within the next 12-24 months it is proposed to rise another 135 feet. The hotel is posturing for 19-21 stories and I assume, emphasize assume, that the height would fall between 200 and 230 feet. Next door a parking tower is proposed on a lot that will also increase from a 250 foot height limit to a 325 foot height limit under the 2035 plan. It appears that the parking tower will be located on the lot which was previously identified for the 100 Multnomah office building. This building, I believe, appears in the background of all the Hyatt renderings for the new hotel.
The parking tower will, I assume, be in the range of four to eight stories and take up a block of prime development land. If the city plan is to increase density and height in this area and create an urban center, per the NE Quadrant Plan, then why isn't the city or Metro working toward this right now? Including the parking element within the hotel itself would add height but not exceed the current maximum height limit and it would preserve the neighboring lot for future mixed use, dynamic and dense development centrally located between the Convention Center, Rose Quarter, HQ Hotel and the new east side core.
Other than being potentially more expense for the developer, what am I missing? Shouldn't we plan ahead, using the considerable time and investment in the NE Quadrant Plan to maximize our resources and meet the density goals which were established? Especially when Metro is the agency partnering here, why is a stand alone parking tower even on the table???
I would LOVE to agree. But I think the issue is, this is perilously close to not happening at all. The public is very easily swayed thinking they are picking up the tab, or developers are getting to big a 'handout'. To add millions of extra dollars for underground parking would probably just kill the project right there.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 7:33 AM
Karma Police

^^^^
This, plus not every lot, in fact most lots, do not build up to their full height allowance. It would be nice if they would, but not realisitic to expect that to happen on every lot. And I believe the entire ground floor of the parking garage is going to be active pedestrian-oriented spaces.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 4:28 PM

Portland, FLATOUT, is void of movers and shakers in leadership roles to meet the potential of what could, and should be, one of the greatest cities in America. It's ridiculous to think that the "leadership", and i say that laughing, of Portland can't even get this Motel 6 version of a convention center hotel, built. Where are the dreamers and do'ers that want to see Portland succeed. How do these civic fools get voted in. Right now it seems their hopes are to see the Rose City "fail". This thing should be built with an eye on the future. It should be no less than a 1000 rooms, with all the bells and whistles that say, "Portland is a player", come and see. It should be no less than 400 ft., with a rooftop garden, and lounge to open unprecidented views of this beautiful place. There should be an extra effort to design this to make people of all sizes comfortable, and lure every type of convention possible. Some design features that make it an extention of the center would be nice, i.e. Green glass, spire, atrium to bring the beauty of Portland into the hotel. Stop thinking small Portland. The time is NOW! to reach your full potential.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 8:25 PM

What, are we Seattle now?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 8:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
What, are we Seattle now?

They have a very beautiful and breathtaking skyline and the above poster has a damn good point. We need to change that "stumptown" persona.

We might not be Seattle but I can tell you we can follow some of their bold thinking..

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 2:00 PM

Just who are the movers and shakers in Portland? Usually, you'd find a local banker, an industrialist, a sports mogul, and possibly a philanthropist. Somehow, it seems different today, the Schnitzers, Naitos, and a Phil Knight notwithstanding. Power appears more diffuse with Portland's agenda being guided more by urban policy than major projects underwritten by Big Money. Count yourself lucky to get Park Avenue West, courtesy of Stoel Rives.

Seattle's major players are legendary as are its economic assets. Portland can't leverage that kind of power but it can make itself attractive to start-ups and refugees from the Bay area. A traditional stewardship class no longer guides Portland because it doesn't exist today like it once did. That's why you have to ask yourself who can write the checks and knock heads. The uninspired convention hotel is a symptom of this relative power vacuum. Political and government leaders do what they can but they can't force the issue like the titans of the past.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleri View Post
Just who are the movers and shakers in Portland? Usually, you'd find a local banker, an industrialist, a sports mogul, and possibly a philanthropist. Somehow, it seems different today, the Schnitzers, Naitos, and a Phil Knight notwithstanding. Power appears more diffuse with Portland's agenda being guided more by urban policy than major projects underwritten by Big Money. Count yourself lucky to get Park Avenue West, courtesy of Stoel Rives.

Seattle's major players are legendary as are its economic assets. Portland can't leverage that kind of power but it can make itself attractive to start-ups and refugees from the Bay area. A traditional stewardship class no longer guides Portland because it doesn't exist today like it once did. That's why you have to ask yourself who can write the checks and knock heads. The uninspired convention hotel is a symptom of this relative power vacuum. Political and government leaders do what they can but they can't force the issue like the titans of the past.
Well said. Let's hope someday we can have enough Hotel space to host a major attraction of some sort.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland