HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 8:47 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
I don't think the free food is necessarily a bad thing. I mean, maybe they were trying the food to review could have been a test run of the restaurant and they're all risking e-coli I don't know. And a 15% discount is a nice perk but really-
Test run. I'm an employee there so I'd know! They're doing test runs for both the restaurant itself, and the dishwashing area (kind of need dirty dishes to test out the dishwashing machine).

edit: 2,050th SSP Post!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 2:55 PM

Quote:
I don't think the free food is necessarily a bad thing. I mean, maybe they were trying the food to review could have been a test run of the restaurant and they're all risking e-coli I don't know. And a 15% discount is a nice perk but really, it's not the same as getting something for free with the expectation of a soft review, which a lot of gaming magazines/websites most certainly do.. not to mention those movie reviews (plays, events, etc) you read in the newspaper are almost always comps.
The free food and drink could be argueed either way, the 15% discount really crossed the line though. The professional standard for journalist in Canada clearly states that gifts are not to be accepted and that is definitely a gift. Now if we changed the party from being for journalists to politicians the media would be all up in arms about it and telling us how bad it was. It is this double standard that is what is really worrying, not that the party happened.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The free food and drink could be argueed either way, the 15% discount really crossed the line though. The professional standard for journalist in Canada clearly states that gifts are not to be accepted and that is definitely a gift. Now if we changed the party from being for journalists to politicians the media would be all up in arms about it and telling us how bad it was. It is this double standard that is what is really worrying, not that the party happened.
Doesn't bother me cause journalistic standards have pretty much evaportated in the past number of years. Pretty much all the outlets are just pushing their own agenda. The free press has turned to writing senasaltionist pieces that are more concerrned with garnering web page hits then telling an unbiased story. Journalists are now more concerned with getting the story first then getting the story right. They cover Kim Kardashian more than politics in the middle east. So a journalist taking a gift for covering a store opening? Hardly a surprise and if you already take most coverage with a grain of salt, this won't affect how you view stories.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 3:52 PM
What could go wrong?

Thank god it is finally open. I actually don't mind IKEA and find a lot of their products useful at good prices (not necessarily the furniture)......but I am tired hearing about it. I can't see myself visiting until after the new year to hopefully allow the crowds to die down.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 3:54 PM
GQMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Thank god it is finally open. I actually don't mind IKEA and find a lot of their products useful at good prices (not necessarily the furniture)......but I am tired hearing about it. I can't see myself visiting until after the new year to hopefully allow the crowds to die down.
x2

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 4:05 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
the 15% discount really crossed the line though
I would only have an issue with it if they journalists actually took advantage of it.

However that is on their own conscience, not IKEA's.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
I would only have an issue with it if they journalists actually took advantage of it.

However that is on their own conscience, not IKEA's.
So, the trough is officially opened, is what you people are saying.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 10:32 PM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post
So, the trough is officially opened, is what you people are saying.
It's been wide open for YEARS.

IKEA is not at fault for offering it. Like I said earlier, how is it any different to getting comp movie tickets or free review dvd's? It's only wrong when there is an expectation of reciprocation.

Is it ethically wrong for a professional journalist to take advantage of the 15%? Probably. I wouldn't have bought anything personally, but I'm not a professional journalist. IKEA invited people who they hoped would hype up their store. Not that they needed it.

Last edited by Reed Solomon; Nov 28, 2012 at 10:42 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 10:48 PM

From what I heard on the radio at lunchtime the traffic was not as bad as people feared.

Probably going to be a zoo around there from Friday evening through Sunday closing time with people going to check it out.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 11:01 PM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
From what I heard on the radio at lunchtime the traffic was not as bad as people feared.
IT'S A FAILURE!!! SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING!!!

seriously though, reminds me of what Winnipeggers say about everything. From the MTS Centre to Investors Group Field.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 11:17 PM

i went at 1pm and there were barely more than five cars waiting on kenaston at the red light to turn into the store. the parking lot was completely full and i had a bit of hike to get to the door from the overflow lot near lowes. the store is so big that it didn't really seem crowded other than the restaurant which was a complete zoo. i waited 10 minutes to pay and then i was out of the parking lot and down kenaston no problem the weekend will be the problem IMHO.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 6:10 AM

if it's anything like the IKEAs here in vancouver it is really cruisy on friday nights

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 6:15 AM

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 7:19 AM
Transit Nerd

Just finished my closing shift there - the restaurant was PACKED.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 5:16 PM

My wife wanted to check it out yesterday so we went after work around 630. No real traffic issues getting in or out. There were a tonne of security guys directing traffic through the parking lot which was pretty full but they helped direct to open spaces which there were a fair number. The store itself was busy but no worse than any mall close to Christmas. Restaurant was a bit chaotic. Waited in line for maybe 20 mins.

Bought a few items which we wanted fornew condo and had held off to get from IKEA. The flat packaging mantra of ikea really works. Fit a surprising amount of stuff into my mini cooper.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 7:30 PM

Quote:
IT'S A FAILURE!!! SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING!!!

seriously though, reminds me of what Winnipeggers say about everything. From the MTS Centre to Investors Group Field.
"Don't put the arena downtown...Theres not enough parking downtown! Traffic Chaos!!!!"

A bit chaotic after gametime, but its part of the post-game experience!
Plenty of parking though.

"IKEA is going to gridlock route 90!!! Traffic Chaos"
Not true. Maybe when seasons of tuxedo is fully built, Saturday afternoon might be pretty bad...

"Don't put the stadium at the University... There's not enough parking. Traffic chaos!!!!"
Yet to be tested... but... I'm guessing, MAYBE for 30-40 minutes after the game ends, but otherwise, no. Besides, HOW many people work and study here on a day-to-day basis???

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 10:28 PM

i read in a news blog they expected 20,000 on opening day but they only got 8000 - maybe people are too scared to go for the feared crowds which never materialized

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i read in a news blog they expected 20,000 on opening day but they only got 8000 - maybe people are too scared to go for the feared crowds which never materialized
all hype,like c'mon people it's a frickin store that has always only been 7 hrs away or a few mouse clicks. it's not as if it's a NHL team or anything. oh, people that have a JOB cant really make it there on a Wed. I'm assuming fri night and sat and sun will be busy.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 7:43 AM
Transit Nerd

Good news! Ikea and surrounding area is getting a bus loop installed in February!

WOO!!!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 2:41 AM
I am a typical

That's the most important aspect of this development!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan