HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The St. Regis Toronto & Residences in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Toronto Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Toronto Forum   • Toronto Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 11:26 PM
gettin' rich!

More Trump

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrumYid View Post
I am ok with the spire. It is about time TO got a building without a flat roof. Trump isn`t tall enough to stick out anyway, spire or not.
I agree about not having a flat roof in TO, but feel that what is going on on-top of Trump is not the way forward. However, like it or hate it, it's there and will continue to be. There's no changing it. Plus, you're right in that Trump won't be that obvious from most vantage points. Soon enough it will be lost amongst other towers going up.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 3:34 PM
gettin' rich!

More of the service levels of Trump

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 4:26 PM

Nice pics. I like the sign, lamps, and metallic accents. With the exception of the dumbed down stone pattern this is a winner from street level.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
Nice pics. I like the sign, lamps, and metallic accents. With the exception of the dumbed down stone pattern this is a winner from street level.
yup. it's a classy big-city building that meets the street perfectly. it isn't too flashy too

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 7:33 PM

This building is starting to look a lot better, still not the best looking tower but once the LED lights go up it will add so much more. Can't wait to see it at night time!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 9:15 PM

The more I see it, the more I like it. This place looks great at street level. As was mentioned, the LED effects will only add to what I think is a great building. In my opinion, Trump `trumps` Shangri La and Four Seasons.

There`s special `aura` rising in the air a few blocks north, though..

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 2:08 AM
Starring as himself

Did you see the lounge area at the corner of Bay and Adelaide? -- they were putting the finishing touches this evening when I was walking home. Looks rather opulent to say the least. This certainly beats the tumbledown Woolworth's that used to be in that location.

Looks like tomorrow all the lanes on Adelaide will be open again, for the first time in what must be five years, ever since they started on Bay-Adelaide.

Also no more wooden sheds to walk through, finally. With the signs going up on the BMO banking hall, we're close to having Bay Street back.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Did you see the lounge area at the corner of Bay and Adelaide? -- they were putting the finishing touches this evening when I was walking home. Looks rather opulent to say the least. This certainly beats the tumbledown Woolworth's that used to be in that location.

Looks like tomorrow all the lanes on Adelaide will be open again, for the first time in what must be five years, ever since they started on Bay-Adelaide.

Also no more wooden sheds to walk through, finally. With the signs going up on the BMO banking hall, we're close to having Bay Street back.
word. i can't wait to touch this thing. i'm no sexual skyscraper predator, but i want to put my hand on this glass/granite from the sidewalk. and just have my little moment.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 11:03 PM
gettin' rich!

Some rich people flossin' at Trump

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 1:28 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drum118 View Post

5 Star Pimping from Drum118 at UT

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthr...idler)/page556

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 7:38 PM

Wow!

Open for business and looking the business!

Impressive, clean and green. I like the colour a lot.

As was mentioned above, it looks great at street level.

Really looking forward to seeing it all lit up.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 8:03 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

So there's no retail or lobby entrance on the corner? Is the corner just dead space?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 8:16 PM
gettin' rich!

If you don't have a Limo - don't bother showing up.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 10:26 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ So much for all the accolades for how this building meets the street.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 11:07 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
^ So much for all the accolades for how this building meets the street.
Well it's quite obvious they are trying to keep out poor people. - I'm sure you could still walk in, and have 100 hotel staffers rush you the second you get there, asking what they can do for you. - I'd rather go in with a bodyguard.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 5:27 AM

Quote:
So there's no retail or lobby entrance on the corner? Is the corner just dead space?
Really good point, but not much space on the street to work with.

I guess most of us will have to look from the sidewalk and dream what it would be like to walk through that revolving door..

Let`s all pitch in and take a room for the night?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 6:29 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ I can afford a room for the night (though probably not for much more than that), but that's not my point. My point is that people on this board keep lauding this building for how well it meets the street, when the opposite is closer to reality. Some of the details are nice - the granite, the canopies, signage, & sconces - but the fundamental programming of the entrances actually turns its back to the street. Yes, there's a legitimate need for a secure, private auto court/entrance for your more well-heeled clientele, but that doesn't mean it's the ONLY entrance you have (aside from the service entrance). The Waldorf-Astoria on Park Avenue in NY is a perfect example. It has a private motor court entrance off of 50th Street, but has a grand pedestrian entrance on Park Avenue. And that is an extremely high end hotel with extremely well-heeled clientele, who also use the Park Avenue entrance.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
The Waldorf-Astoria on Park Avenue in NY is a perfect example. It has a private motor court entrance off of 50th Street, but has a grand pedestrian entrance on Park Avenue. And that is an extremely high end hotel with extremely well-heeled clientele, who also use the Park Avenue entrance.
How can you compare the two? The Waldorf has a massive footprint compared to the tiny lot TT has risen from. The Waldorf has plenty of room for multiple entrances Trump not so much. Trumps location is only 45m x 25m. You could build 6 Trumps on one Waldorf site so really that is a terrible comparison on how to address entrances and site use. The only space they have at TT on the main floor is for a lobby, small bar, and service + parking ramps. as far as I know the Waldorf doesn't even have onsite parking to worry about.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 1:09 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

That is a valid point, and a good one. The footprints of the two towers are pretty far apart. I understand that Trump has far more limitations in place in terms of size, but I still think that an entrance to the lobby - or perhaps a separate entrance to a small bar - could still have been moved closer to the corner to activate the street a little bit better. Then again, I haven't been there to look at the actual layout inside to see where they've placed the check-in counter, concierge desk, etc. Seeing that might change my viewpoint entirely.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive