HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The St. Regis Toronto & Residences in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Toronto Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Toronto Forum   • Toronto Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 4:06 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewjm3D View Post
You comments show how little you know about Toronto. I'm surprised you keep posting in this section. You're sounding like an ass, and not a smart one.
Actually, I know the city quite well and perhaps you have spent too much time in Muskoka. What did I say that was so outrageous? You find the streets of the core busy? You honestly believe the shoebox residences will be the primary homes? You think visitors familiar with the city will book in Trump over the high end boutiques and five stars located in much more happening places? You think Trump's business facilities can compete with the likes of the Sheraton?

There's a reason the hotel suites were sold off as condos.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 5:45 PM

Trump has been built to cater to the business traveler. If you knew as much as you claimed to then you would now that the hotel vacancy rate in the city is extremely low. To make a claim that the rooms will be empty shows lack of understanding.

Trump never sold off Hotel rooms as condos. Their were units from the start of the design meant to go into a hotel pool a.k.a 1 King West style. The dedicated hotel rooms have always been just that.

I don't think anybody is claiming the CBD to be a busy place after 5pm, but you're the only person who seems to think this building will have zero impact with pedestrian levels. All one has to do is walk south of Queen on Bay to see the numerous bars and restaurants that have popped up in the past few years. The dynamic of the area is changing and BA and Trump are just the start.

Try to make your point without throwing insults out there, it will make your point seem a little more credible. I wish I was in Muskoka still.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 7:46 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
A. The building will undoubtably have huge vacancies most of the time. It's the nature behind "being in one place at a time".
B. Take a good look at that porte cochere and tell me again that the residents/isitors will be king through the near empty CBD to the entertainment areas of the downtown. I think not.
We shall see. There will likely be hundreds of people in Trump at any one time. If they pop over to Yonge for coffee, the Eaton Centre for shopping, or Earls for drinks they're likely going to walk.

Having more people in the CBD will change the feel of the area. 1 building alone perhaps not much, but we're not talking about 1 building. The residential population of this area has gone up about 5 fold over the last few years. I doubt Trump will be the last residential building to get built here.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 8:12 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I searched in vain for some recent pictures of the onion dome. Have they unwrapped it yet? To all the Toronto locals, what does it look like at the moment?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 9:33 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewjm3D View Post
Trump has been built to cater to the business traveler. If you knew as much as you claimed to then you would now that the hotel vacancy rate in the city is extremely low. To make a claim that the rooms will be empty shows lack of understanding.
The vacancy rate is decent but not what most would consider extremely low. Trump has been built to attract an executive clientele.

Quote:
Trump never sold off Hotel rooms as condos. Their were units from the start of the design meant to go into a hotel pool a.k.a 1 King West style. The dedicated hotel rooms have always been just that.
I think hotel rooms sold off as condos applies to what you said including the fact retaining ownership of the hotel suites was originally a strong consideration.

Quote:
I don't think anybody is claiming the CBD to be a busy place after 5pm, but you're the only person who seems to think this building will have zero impact with pedestrian levels. All one has to do is walk south of Queen on Bay to see the numerous bars and restaurants that have popped up in the past few years. The dynamic of the area is changing and BA and Trump are just the start.
Who said anything about zero impact? However, the impact of 250 suites (expect 70% occupancy) and 120 residences (expect 30% occupancy) won't be noticeable at street level when the vast majority will be picked up and and dropped off by car. (you don't have a clue if you expect anything less) You're choosing to ignore that the restaurants and lounges largely cater to those who clear out by 7 to 8PM as they run to catch to Lake Shore GO through the PATH system.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 9:37 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
I searched in vain for some recent pictures of the onion dome. Have they unwrapped it yet? To all the Toronto locals, what does it look like at the moment?
Last I saw, it is not unwrapped. However, it appears to be entirely black cladding (vision and spandrel glass) when viewed from one of my perches. It looks awkward against the green glazing but suits this eyesore of a tower to a tee.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
The vacancy rate is decent but not what most would consider extremely low. Trump has been built to attract an executive clientele.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 8:02 PM
Bionic Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
^ I can afford a room for the night (though probably not for much more than that), but that's not my point. My point is that people on this board keep lauding this building for how well it meets the street, when the opposite is closer to reality. Some of the details are nice - the granite, the canopies, signage, & sconces - but the fundamental programming of the entrances actually turns its back to the street. Yes, there's a legitimate need for a secure, private auto court/entrance for your more well-heeled clientele, but that doesn't mean it's the ONLY entrance you have (aside from the service entrance). The Waldorf-Astoria on Park Avenue in NY is a perfect example. It has a private motor court entrance off of 50th Street, but has a grand pedestrian entrance on Park Avenue. And that is an extremely high end hotel with extremely well-heeled clientele, who also use the Park Avenue entrance.
first time looking at this thread and i have to agree with you...the corner, entrance of the building is a total miss. It just does not look good......oh well Trump approved.
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 8:19 PM

the problem is the size of the site. though I do think there should have been a traditional entrance on the corner of the building.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 11:42 PM
Bionic Boogie

for example...I think The Setai in NYC has perhpas the same footprint as Toronto's Trump yet IMO the architects "preserved" the street flow/life/etc better......garage entrance away from 5th ave...the corner boasts an amazing bar...... TO Trump looks like a garage entrance

New York...The Setai

Luxury Hotel in Midtown Manhattan by Jet Luxury Resorts, on Flickr

Toronto...Trump

DSC_201208286 by drum118, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 12:08 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Hey Carlos is that Setai pic real, or a rendering. It looks amazing none the less. Trump doesn't care however, ALL he cares about is the MONAY.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 1:37 AM
gettin' rich!

That is a real picture that looks like a rendering!!

Very nice!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
That is a real picture that looks like a rendering!!

Very nice!
I've passed by that one each time in the past few months in NY. gotta say i don't like that building too much. the crown at the top is awkward.

this tower has too much hate. even if it was a perfect building, the fact that donald trump's name on it would take off a few points... kinda sad.,

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 2:15 AM
Bionic Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
Hey Carlos is that Setai pic real, or a rendering. It looks amazing none the less. Trump doesn't care however, ALL he cares about is the MONAY.
the pic is REAL.....
SSP member since 2003

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 2:23 AM
Khurram Parvaz

^ Damn. Toronto deserves a building like the Setai; even though the Setai's CROWN wasn't greeted with cheers.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosV View Post
the pic is REAL.....
Its definitely a rendering.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 2:39 AM
Khurram Parvaz

The Setai even beats Trump Toronto, especially the exterior. The interior is also a hundred times better than TT. Toronto needs something like this on Adelaide Street.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 4:22 PM

The Setai NYC is more comparable to Shangri-La Toronto down the street. Going for natural materials/more sleek modern spa look.

I quite like the Trump Toronto interiors and wouldn't see either is necessarily better. I'll admit that sometimes I like to indulge in a little opulent tackiness.

And I don't think Trump clientele care about how the podium meets the street. This certainly beats the monstrous Hudsons Bay podium up on Bloor.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 10:30 PM

That Setai podium looks almost double the size of Trump. I do agree the entrance could have been on the corner. They probably chose to have it where it is to create a more sheltered entrance for the Hotel Lobby.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 2:02 AM

Does anyone have a recent photo of the exterior?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive