HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 2:27 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Is this new 34 storey tower a mistake that keeps getting repeated or is there a new building to replace the 12-15 storey buildings?
The 34 storey tower is an extension to the existing Fenwick Towers, which I believe will have an additional fire escape stairway and maybe a couple more apartments(?) per floor.

I am not sure why local area media stories keep making it sound like a separate tower.

Here is an image of the addition (below), which was taken from this report - http://www.halifax.ca/Commcoun/pcc/d...wickReport.pdf page 48/111 of the pdf file.

Last edited by fenwick16; Dec 31, 2011 at 2:54 PM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 3:08 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
The 34 storey tower is an extension to the existing Fenwick Towers, which I believe will have an additional fire escape stairway and maybe a couple more apartments(?) per floor.

I am not sure why local area media stories keep making it sound like a separate tower.

Here is an image of the addition (below), which was taken from this report - http://www.halifax.ca/Commcoun/pcc/d...wickReport.pdf page 48/111 of the pdf file.

Thanks, it seems like a rather large mistake to make more than once.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 2:09 AM

That is what I thought , I have heard this several times now?

I would have liked to see another tower but it sure will be nice to see fenwick re-vamped

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 2:25 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by resetcbu1 View Post
I would have liked to see another tower but it sure will be nice to see fenwick re-vamped
In a sense Halifax will be getting a new tallest building. A new 34-storey tower as part of a 500+ unit development would be a major project in even a much larger city. And we could conceivably have this under construction at the same time as the ~30 storey main King's Wharf tower.

I think some major modern looking buildings would go a long way in changing the way people perceive Halifax and the way Haligonians perceive the city centre. When visitors go downtown they are fairly likely to notice Fenwick and King's Wharf, whereas something like the Vic is much lower key, even if it is a nice building. Maybe people will start to realize that they are living in a fairly substantial, growing city.

Follow-through on King's Wharf and Fenwick would probably also mitigate the United Gulf and Nova Centre situation somewhat (hopefully these projects will work out, but the optics of giant empty lots sitting for years are not good). There seems to be an attitude that these were pie-in-the-sky proposals that are too elaborate for Halifax. I don't believe that's true and we've seen many new buildings but until some major buildings go up the city will have a bit of a retro appearance.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 5:50 AM

What is the 24 storey building alluded to in the thread title?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 7:05 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There is no 24 storey tower, just Fenwick itself plus two extra towers. My guess is that I put the 24 storey component in the title because it was mentioned as a separate tower when really it is just the addition that will be connected to the existing Fenwick tower.

I wonder when this will start. Is any work happening at this site? Some articles a while back stated that work should begin relatively early in the new year.

Is the full development approved? If so the title should be updated.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 9:05 AM

I don't think the UG proposal was pie in the sky, I just have no faith in the developer given their reputation. I also have a big problem with one off applications thinking they can re-write the entire zoning system of Halifax when it should be considered as a broader planning study.

If the HRM Regional Centre LUB is going to start in the next little while - then that's the time to consider removing things like the rampart rule. Personally, DJ and I seem to be on the same page when it comes to viewplanes 9 and 10. I'd like to see them re-examined so that we could perhaps allow a slim point tower near fenwick about the same height (or greater) creating more density in the area.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 2:31 PM

The last update I got from the developer has construction starting late summer or early fall.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 7:42 PM

I recently heard thru a co-worker that was speaking to Andrew Metlej that the monuments at the citadel were 'lost' (on which the viewplanes are based). When they were resurveyed and located, the proposed development now falls within a viewplane that restricts the height from what they expected. Of course, the intent of the original layout is obvious, but of course now bureaucracy needs to run it's course...

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 7:24 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Metledge stated in an article published tonight that a crane is expected to be up at the Fenwick site by October and that Templeton may acquire its own crane to ensure that they have one available for Fenwick, Trinity, and whatever else is planned. He also mentioned that some of the other Fenwick buildings may be started in 2013.

I was hoping construction on Fenwick would start in the next couple of months, but it's common for these dates to be pushed back. It's also likely they'll have work to do before the crane goes up, but that's the more dramatic and interesting part.

I'm looking forward to the day when Halifax has two 30+ storey tower cranes in operation -- one for Fenwick and one for the main King's Wharf tower.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 5:57 PM
BANNED

^

By October is slightly disappointing; I was anticipating a summer start.
I'll be happy when the students vacate and some early site-prep work begins. Between Fenwick Place and King's Wharf Tower (they really need to pick a name soon...), I wonder which tower will finish first? Fenwick will get underway first, but I don't know how complications with building on top of an existing structure will impact construction time.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 7:52 PM
we built this city

Well, aren't they working on initial phases right now? They probably need to do a ton in the interim of having the crane up.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 12:25 AM
BANNED

http://youtu.be/w39EnJZ7DZI

This video offers a preview of the view tenants and visitors will be able to enjoy when the renovations are complete. I apologise for the poor video quality, and if this link has previously been posted.

This will be a good 'before' video to compare the density of the downtown.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 1:48 AM

Saw a sign on the fence in front of the DAL parking lot on South St. re: the development there.

Exciting stuff. I live in The James next door. It`s going to be pretty exciting to watch this progress from my balcony lol

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 4:38 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Just noticed this new document from February that describes the phases of the Fenwick redevelopment: http://halifax.ca/planning/documents...hasingPlan.pdf

Not sure how this is different from the original plan.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 12:00 PM

The original phasing had the interior block building as phase 1, Fenwick tower as phase 2 and the South St building as phase 3.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Just noticed this new document from February that describes the phases of the Fenwick redevelopment: http://halifax.ca/planning/documents...hasingPlan.pdf
So it's going to be a Yaletown-style development with townhouses at street level? Interesting.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 11:12 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northend Guy View Post
I recently heard thru a co-worker that was speaking to Andrew Metlej that the monuments at the citadel were 'lost' (on which the viewplanes are based). When they were resurveyed and located, the proposed development now falls within a viewplane that restricts the height from what they expected. Of course, the intent of the original layout is obvious, but of course now bureaucracy needs to run it's course...
The viewplanes do appear to be an issue - the Fenwick Towers renovations will encroach on two viewplanes. This issue will be discussed at City Hall on April 17th. A request has been made by Councillor Uteck for a viewplanes amendment - http://halifax.ca/council/agendasc/d...0417ca1053.pdf

PS: Thanks for the inside information on this issue, Northend Guy. Unfortunately, it has turned out to be accurate information. Too bad that this couldn't just be rubber stamped, but alas, Save our View now has another cause to fight for.

Last edited by fenwick16; Apr 14, 2012 at 9:18 AM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 3:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
The viewplanes do appear to be an issue - the Fenwick Towers renovations will encroach on two viewplanes. This issue will be discussed at City Hall on April 17th. A request has been made by Councillor Uteck for a viewplanes amendment - http://halifax.ca/council/agendasc/d...0417ca1053.pdf
Considering how popular this redevelopment is, and how incredibly eager locals are for this to get underway so that Fenwick Place will no longer be an horrific eyesore, the amendment should not be an issue.

Last edited by RyeJay; Apr 14, 2012 at 6:34 PM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 5:46 AM

A view plane amendment would set a new precedent though.. I don't think they've been amended before. Some people will probably still fight this just out of principle.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth