HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 6:25 PM
loafing in lotusland

Manners on Public Transit

What do you think about manners on transit? Should they be enforced? What do you consider to be rude on transit, bad manners? Where do you think we lack? Where do we excel?

I found these amusing cartoons from the Tokyo Metropolitan Transit system on another thread at SSC

The rest are here

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 6:36 PM
Hello World

The only thing that really ticks me off are people who have their music turned up so high I can hear the lyrics of the song. Do these people still want a working pair of ears when they're in their 30's ?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 6:38 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Ironically, the Japanese won't usually do any of this in transit anyway.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 6:49 PM

Perhaps it's for the gaijin/foreigners. Haha

I think just a space issue, both too close and too demanding of own personal space. Firstly, it's a public bus and EVERYONE is crowded so don't be too defensive about needing your own space. On the other hand, please move to the friggin back of the bus or into the middle of the train, and take your backpacks off.

I also hate seat stealers - I've often had my seat stolen when I move out of the chair to let the inside person get off (that's the courteous way rather than just shifting your legs). Ugh.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 6:50 PM
loafing in lotusland

Sure they do. It's mostly the younger crowd who do it, but there is definitely a changing attitude towards rules of conduct among this generation.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 6:59 PM

I love these ones. They are only on Tokyo Metro Subway, the JR Lines have their own set of them, which are almost as entertaining.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 8:13 PM

a) People who sit on the OUTSIDE SEAT on a packed vehicle, and don't move, thus preventing somebody else sitting next to them. Why don't they just move up!?!?!?

b) People who are waiting to get on a train, but stand DIRECTLY in front of the doors before they open. Nobody can get off until these idiots move, so why not stand to one side and let the others disembark?!

c) People who stand on the wrong side of the escalators. Nobody can walk past them. Can they not see that? The common convention is Stand to the RIGHT, Walk on the LEFT.

d) People who talk REALLY LOUDLY on their phone.

e) People who get on a bus and stand RIGHT AT THE FRONT instead of moving down the bus. So everybody else getting on has to squeeze past them. WTH!

Ugh.

I think their need to be loud tannoy announcements to get people used to these things. Social etiquette seems to float over the head of many of these people. It also may be their lack of experience on a major transit system, but come on, learn quickly!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 8:42 PM
Vancouver User

loud talkers are definitely annoying...

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrifice333 View Post
loud talkers are definitely annoying...
Loud, foul-mouthed suburbanites (or Vanc Island / BC Interior hillbillies for that matter) intent on making sure that all the little old ladies in the bus have one more reason to wish for an earlier death.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 9:41 PM

People who crowd around the back door when there is lots of room at the back of the bus. C'mon people, it's ONLY 2 steps up. And you get a better view. And you get first dibs on the next open seat.

People standing at the back door when others are trying to exit, and they think hugging the pole will make them smaller. Save the pole dance for your show at the Number Five Orange.

People who haven't figured out that some CelTel conversations aren't meant to be shared with the bus. "So Friday I picked up this one guy, and he was an OK F*ck, but then Saturday met a SuperCuteGuy at McD's and he was a fun & quick F*ck, but I went out later & hooked up with that guy from last week .... you know... the one that just f*cked like a rabbit.. yep.. well he's just as horny this time.. I can hardly sit down today ... f*ck with all the f*cking booz and f*cking drugs and f*cking around, I donwanna work today"

a great Monday am commute.

Last edited by jsbertram; Nov 25, 2009 at 6:20 PM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 1:12 AM

And therein lies the rub: I'd rather sit in gridlock in a single-occupant car than have to put up with the mouth-breathers that infest public transit. One heck of a living advert for why most people avoid public transit like the plague.

And for the record, I walk to work, so the car-hating nazi's out there can stop trying to pin a gold star on me.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 1:15 AM

I nominate the 321 for the best bus route evar.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 1:22 AM

I hope those new riders (e.g. young Langara students on #49) should learn to put your "valuable" backpack on the floor.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 2:00 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLC View Post
I hope those new riders (e.g. young Langara students on #49) should learn to put your "valuable" backpack on the floor.
OMG good point. The bus drivers should also tell everyone to take off their bags when the bus is starting to get full. People should also learn how to move to the damn back of the bus... not just up the back step... but ALL the way.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 2:46 AM

If these inconsiderate prats can't use common sense and take their backpacks off then they should be charged twice. With the amount of different people around the world using transit here there's cultural differences so I think there needs to be more done in regards to 'reminding' people about basic transit etiquette. When in Rome and all that.

Here's this classic website on London Tube etiquette -

http://victorian.fortunecity.com/fin...tuberules.html

Lesson one - reading other people's books/letters etc

Lesson two - when to give up your seat

Lesson three - Don't stand so close to me!

Lesson four - Look before you sit

Lesson five - Let passengers off the train first before you get on

Lesson six - Try not to carry massive rucksacks

Lesson seven - Stand clear of the closing doors

Lesson eight - Mind The Gap

Lesson nine - Stand clear of the droning bores

Lesson ten - Don't talk loudly on the tube

Lesson eleven - Don't think that your bags and suitcases are entitled to a seat

Lesson twelve - Don't throw up on the tube, it's catching!!!

Lesson thirteen - Stand on the right when travelling on escalators

Lesson fourteen - Shut Your Legs

Lesson fifteen - Snogging on the Tube

Lesson sixteen - Coughs and Sneezes Spread Diseases

Lesson seventeen - Don't fall asleep

Lesson eighteen - How to get a Seat

Lesson nineteen - Trust no one

Lesson twenty - You are not invisible all of the time

Lesson twenty one - The art of balance

Lesson twenty two - Fainters will be discovered...eventually!

Lesson twenty three - Avoid eye contact

Lesson twenty four - The barriers are barriers

Lesson twenty five - Don't blow your nose

Lesson twenty six - Not all tourists are annoying...just most of them

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 4:12 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
People who haven't figured out that some CelTel conversations aren't meant to be shared with the bus. "So Friday I picked up this one guy, and he was an OK Fuck, but then Saturday met a SuperCuteGuy at McD's and he was a fun & quick Fuck, but I went out later & hooked up with that guy from last week .... you know... the one that just fucked like a rabbit.. yep.. well he's just as horny this time.. I can hardly sit down today ... fuck with all the fucking booz and fucking drugs and fucking around, I donwanna work today"
1,000,000 points. That just made my day!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 6:57 AM

One of of the nastiest things is when someone has bad breath/foul B.O. I've almost thrown up due to one person...I don't know what he eats but it can't be good. It smelled of rotting flesh combined with pickled/moldy lettuce. Most other have coffee/cereal breath (rotting milk).
Please people WASH YOUR TEETH BEFORE TAKING TRANSIT. Likewise, deodorant is your friend.

Anyways, glad I don't have to deal with public transit unless I feel like it.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 7:03 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Ironically, the Japanese won't usually do any of this in transit anyway.
No, but they love to grab women's bums on the subway and I don't see a sign for that.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 7:33 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I should add another thing to the list: don't steal ppls 24 hr newspaper. I had that happen to me today... just grabbed it out of my hand on the 99 B-Line, then the guy decides to flirt with the person beside him.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 7:51 AM

The sad part is that there doesn't have to be that many rude/annoying people to really ruin an otherwise decent trip on transit. But that's the price we pay for cheap public transporation instead of private, the "public" part.

That being said, I'd have to give a toss-up as to "most annoying" as being people who talk loudly, or people who try to start conversations with me. I hate both with equal passion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure