HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 9:28 AM

Philly as I see it (ongoing)

Just a look at how the city I have lived in for the past 12 years has evolved, mostly for the better but occasionally for the worse.
I'll be putting up stuff that I have taken recently as well as pics that I took years ago that I have to dig through the archives (ie my hard drives).

For now I'll be focusing on stuff in and around Center City, simply because that is where I spend the most time, but I will be branching out to other areas as well. I'll be covering buildings old and new, structures being built and torn down, graffiti, street art, oddities, trails, tracks, etc...etc...

I must give a shout to the creators of the two LA threads HERE and HERE I was thinking of doing something like this for a while, kind of documenting how the city has changed over time, but these two threads (along with a couple on SSC) are what finally pushed me to embark on this project so to speak....

With all that out of the way I'll start on my first set, which just so happens to be my most recent....the "just opened a few days ago" Dilworth Park.

This is a replacement of the original Dilworth Plaza that was completed in the mid 1970's (after about a decade of construction) as part of the ambitious plan by Edmund Bacon to refashion Center city to modern ideals. It was named after former Mayor Richardson Dilworth who served from 1956 to 1962.

Designed by architect Vincent Kling, the plaza consisted of multiple levels clad in concrete and granite including a large sunken courtyard that was integrated into the nearby underground transit facilities (Market Frankford, Broad Street and Subway/Surface trolley lines interchange almost directly beneath) and pedestrian concourse network that extends to Suburban Station, East Market Street and South Broad Street.

Over time this plaza proved unpopular among everyday people due to it's cold hard appearance, and the only ones who frequented it were skateboarders and the homeless. Also, pressure was on to retrofit the transit station beneath to allow ADA access. Finally in 2011 plans were approved for a new plaza that would also include a partial reworking of the station complex. After the Occupy Philly protesters were evicted from the space work began to tear up and dig down. Now after over 2 of construction (beset by delays thanks to unmapped underground infrastructure) what has been rechristened Dilworth Park is finally done......well almost....

All photos were taken Sunday September 8th. 2014 during the morning hours....

049 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

050 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr
^New visitors center

052 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

053 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

055 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Going under:
058 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

059 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Prior to the rebuilding, this was just an "exit only" area. Now, two new fare lines have been established featuring SEPTA's newest generation turnstiles. These are equipped with Transpass slots and NPT readers, but *do not* take tokens or cash fares. Those have to be taken to the booth here....

060 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Rebuilt stairways and interior: (note the color coding: Blue for market Frankford line, Orange for Broad Street line, and Green for Subway/surface trolleys)
062 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

063 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

064 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr
^Elevators are not yet ready....

065 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

069 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

070 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

067 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

073 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Rebuilt area meets the existing Suburban station passage:
074 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Second stair that leads out to the park's north side, right next to the visitors' center:
077 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

078 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Subway/surface trolley station ahead, passage to Municipal Service Building to right:
079 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

080 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

082 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

South side is still being worked on:
084 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

085 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

087 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

086 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr
^Second entrance to the fare lobby shown earlier, will open soon....

088 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

093 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

095 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Finally! The west portal is open again!!
099 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

100 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos