HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 5:45 AM
Be Happy!

Bailey Business Center - Building 23-2: (Bailey Power Plant Complex)
We now have higher quality renderings, thanks to Linville Team Partners. If you would like to lease, the phone number is (336) 724-1715. Office, retail, restaurant, and entertainment space is available. (CIC) Cambridge Innovation Center's Venture Cafe is among the tenants, along with a minority business incubator. A pharmaceutical clinical trials company's headquarters (relocation from another city) is rumored to be a possible tenant in the office space. I've also heard The Porch restaurant is planning a new concept in one of the restaurant spaces in the project. A brewery is said to be considering this project. Apartments with retail spaces have broken ground across Fifth Street from the power plant, with 344 apartment units. There was talk of bowling and a movie theatre in the power plant at one time. The leasing agent can tell you more. (336) 724-1715

You know you want your business in this awesome project. It's a massive coal-fired power plant converted to office and retail/entertainment space in downtown's IQ District (innovation district)! It's between the Kimpton Cardinal Hotel and Bailey Park, near classrooms for Wake Forest University (Engineering School and Downtown Medical School) and Virginia Tech University's School of Biomedical Engineering & Sciences. It's a great location for creative or tech company offices and retail/entertainment businesses.

Credit: Linville Team Partners

I've heard they are considering ice skating, skate boarding, and rock climbing in the Coal Pit:

Outside area of a restaurant space:

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 5:39 AM
Be Happy!

Projects & Construction:
Thank you for visiting this thread for your weekly update on "Hyphen City." We have a massive update this week! I also want to thank the photographers and local businesses who make this thread possible. Without you, these weekly updates won't happen.

A construction update on the project posted in the renderings above.

A rare interior view of the construction:

Credit: daddysmoney404

Credit: simplyseton

Workers pour the concrete floors (also note construction starting at Link Apartments Innovation Quarter - Lower right corner):

Credit: alovelylula

More from Friday's (April 7) concrete pour:

Credit: ChandlerConcreteCompany

Credit: ChandlerConcreteCompany

An older concrete pour from a few weeks ago:

Credit: chandlerconcretecompany

Gallery Lofts II:
Chaucer Creek Capital (CCC Gallery Lofts II) requested a rezoning, that allows for downtown apartment buildings without parking, on a site they own next to The Gallery Lofts. However, they recently pulled the rezoning request and will resubmit again, soon. They are preparing to start construction, soon, on a new residential project for this site. No plans submitted at this time. This could be a larger project than we expected? We will see what happens.

The O'Hanlon:

Exterior photograph from Sunday (April 9):

Credit: parks_stallings

Link Apartments Innovation Quarter:
Construction workers are on site, the silt fencing is up, workers are installing the construction fence (closing more sidewalks), site demolition is underway, and excavation has started. This should be a fun project to follow. It is a massive apartment development, with 344 apartment units and two Fifth Street retail spaces. Yes, this is the apartment building across the street from Bailey Power Plant's construction site.

Credit: alovelylula

Credit: innovationquarter

So many sidewalks and streets are closing, due to all of the construction downtown.

Fiddlin' Fish Brewing Company:
"Things are really taking shape down at 772 Trade Street NW! Framing is complete and mechanical, electrical, and plumbing are being roughed in this week. The anticipation is building!"

Credit: fiddlinfishbrewing

Credit: fiddlinfishbrewing

Hotel Indigo:

The back side of the hotel, seen below, will be covered by a new addition:

Credit: chad_conger

I'm guessing the entire back walls will be demolished, as part of the hotel renovation?

1791 Tower Clock Restoration:
Is this project now completed?

Workers clean the clock face on the 226 year-old clock:

Credit: oldsaleminc

Applying new gold leaf to the clock face:

Credit: home1771

1802 Vierling House Restoration: Built!
Yes, it's finally completed and open to the public as a museum on the city's biotech/medical history, from 1802 to today. When it was built, 215 years ago, Dr. Samuel Benjamin Vierling's office was the only up-to-date doctor's office within hundreds of miles of Winston-Salem. The well-educated doctor from Europe would attract patients from every part of North Carolina and from neighboring states. He was a physician, dentist, surgeon, pharmacist, and veterinarian. The building was restored with materials similar to those used at the time of construction. Part of the restoration repaired cracks from an earthquake in 1886. Staples & Charles Ltd., designed the museum displays. Be sure to visit this museum the next time you are in Winston-Salem!

An 1875 photograph:

Credit: oldsaleminc

Photograph from last week: (Notice it has Victorian earthquake bolts in this photograph)

Credit: Bill Wells

Credit: welcomewinstonsalem

NoTra Mixed-use Building: Built!
This project is now completed. It's still one of the least photographed construction projects on this thread, so I don't have any new photographs to show of the completed building. If any are shared, maybe I can post them in a later update?

Credit: DWSP

Twin City Lofts Condominiums:
I think they are pouring a new sidewalk and planting new landscaping on the eastern side of the project?

A good look at Twin City Lofts on the skyline: (Grey building in the middle)

Credit: BEERSNGEARS

757 North Apartments:
We haven't seen any updates on this project since January 17! It looks great.

Credit: 757northapts

Reynolds Athletic Complex:
Frank L. Blum Construction said "Here you can see the columns that have replaced what was formerly a four-story wall traversing the building, creating a much more open layout. The new facility will have 19,000 square feet of workout space, including a Cross Fit area on this new section of the third floor. Roman arches in the central part of the building are being reinforced with a hidden lintel system." Completion is scheduled for August 2017.

Credit: Frank L. Blum Construction

Credit: Frank L. Blum Construction

AFAS Center for the Arts:

Credit: prowebwriter

Credit: andresrichner

Credit: stitchdesignshop

Credit: DebDubya

500 West Fifth Street:

Credit: mabisonline

Downtown Hampton Inn & Suites:

Credit: winstonwatchman

Central on 5th:

Credit: winstonwatchman

Alternative Transportation:

Passageway Park:

Credit: osgoodla.inc

Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway: (Winston-Salem's High Line)
rmhpmi at the WSTB Forum is reporting the segment south of Third Street is completed and open. Construction will be completed in 5-6 months on the segment north of Third Street. No details on future segments north of Eighth Street? When fully built-out, it will end around 25th Street, next to Blum Park.

They don't have the color-changing LED lights operating on these bridges:

Credit: t_sparks97

Union Station & Streetcar Yard:
I have a big update and I'll try to shorten it as much as possible! According to those on the restoration team, this building was saved from neglect in 2011, when the city took it by eminent domain. They were very close to losing the plaster work on the ceiling. It was in rough shape in 1976, when the 50 year bonds expired and the building had mold, dirt, and animals living there. The ceiling was leaking in 1976 and the building had a dirty sludge on the lower two floors. Everyone who worked on it in 1976, converting it to a repair shop, was in the hospital due to the mold and sludge. A question many people ask: Why did cities like Buffalo, Cincinnati, and Winston-Salem locate their train stations outside the core of downtown? The answer: It was due to the dirty steam engines of that time and the smoke, which covered the clothes of people in downtown. About the restoration: This will be an historically accurate restoration. The yellow brick road, outside the train station, is in great shape. They have the original blueprints and several original fixtures and light shades to reproduce anything missing. Reconstructing the cast iron seems to be the biggest challenge. The original cast iron entrance and light fixtures are being reproduced. The Tennessee pink marble is no longer quarried and they must restore the remaining pieces. Sadly, the pink marble in the women's restroom is badly damaged and they may not be able to save it. Old phone booths will be renovated into three display cases for historical items found at the site and an original 1926 water fountain will be restored! The city's use of eminent domain does require 50% or more of the building be used for transportation. Interesting fact: This is the only train station in North Carolina with rails in all four directions. This station also had it's own dedicated sleeper trains, showing the city's historical importance. The city views this as a tourist attraction. A section at the back of the building, where passengers waited to board trains and crossed tracks to the platforms, will be transformed into a train viewing area, with memorabilia, comfortable seating, a place to watch train videos, a restaurant, and they will allow you to hear the train radios. The area where you would cross the tracks to access the platforms will be all glass, to make it a viewing area. The city has acquired a site for a possible park-and-ride deck and the 1947 parking area, with 115 spaces, will be restored for transit riders. This is expected to be a new introduction to the city's eastern side. WSSU's History Department is interested in working on this project, including student involvement. The development team is in conversations with tenants, including restaurants, for spaces in the building. Expect regional bus service and local bus service from routes that don't have to stop downtown. This will operate as a secondary bus hub. They want streetcars at Union Station for seamless transfers from future train service. One of the lines they are working to bring to Union Station is a train to Asheville. They also want commuter rail or light rail connecting Mocksville to downtown and are working to include Union Station on the high speed rail corridor. To bring Amtrack service back to Union Station they must have a ready-to-go train station. Completion is expected in June 2018 and it will be Amtrack ready. They are also looking into bringing a rail service shop to Union Station, to take advantage of the five rail lines, which could bring jobs to the project. This should bring a sizable increase in train traffic to Union Station. If you have interior photographs of the train station, from before the 1970s, contact Michelle Portman Walter at Walter Robbs Architects.

Credit: New Atlantic Contracting

Off-Subject:

Winston-Salem Light Project:

Credit: jhkerans17

Credit: mmtillett

Credit: chad_conger

Random Photographs:

Credit: taylorwalkermarketing

Credit: hieronymu.s

Credit: marianafaye_photography

Downtown independent film theatre:

Credit: the_traveling_canon

An interesting old rowhouse:

Credit: thatdunlopgirl

Credit: uniondotco

Credit: Bill Wells

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 4:04 AM

757 is a pleasant surprise!

I want a permanent UNCSA Light installation downtown.

When can we expect more tenant announcements for Bailey?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 5:22 PM

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 8:56 PM
Be Happy!

We should have an update on leasing, at Bailey Power Plant, by the middle of next month. I'm guessing we may see more leases signed, at Bailey Power Plant, the closer the project moves toward completion? Likely around Summer?

I do wish UNCSA had year-long lighting displays in downtown. If not year-long, at least something that is in place from April to October? It would be a great advertisement for UNCSA. What if they worked with downtown developers and DWSP on some of the projects we see in this thread? Imagine if UNCSA would've designed the permanent lighting or permanent "art lighting" for Passageway Park?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
We should have an update on leasing, at Bailey Power Plant, by the middle of next month. I'm guessing we may see more leases signed, at Bailey Power Plant, the closer the project moves toward completion? Likely around Summer?

I do wish UNCSA had year-long lighting displays in downtown. If not year-long, at least something that is in place from April to October? It would be a great advertisement for UNCSA. What if they worked with downtown developers and DWSP on some of the projects we see in this thread? Imagine if UNCSA would've designed the permanent lighting or permanent "art lighting" for Passageway Park?
I have always wondered why UNCSA doesn't do a full time art lighting. I go look at the art projects every year and I love it.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 6:01 AM
Be Happy!

Projects & Construction:
The number of projects posted each week has grown dramatically in the past few weeks! I've recently dropped the small retail/restaurant openings, that aren't part of a larger project, from this thread. I also dropped the festival/event updates. And the update posts, each week, are still growing in size! The updates I've posted recently are among the largest posted on this thread. This is a very exciting time to follow Winston-Salem development! I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these weekly updates won't happen.

BB&T Sports Park Expansion:
Twin City Sports Association has already raised nearly $4 million and is raising nearly $7 million in the first fundraising phase of a major expansion to BB&T Soccer Park. The expansion will add three new artificial turf fields, facilities for lacrosse, an adult sports social club, ultimate Frisbee, volleyball, and cross country. I'm not sure how many fundraising phases they will have? Construction will have four phases. This expansion will allow the complex to host larger events and more events. There is talk of Major League Soccer in some news articles on this project. I'm not sure how far into the future that would be? As part of the expansion and adding other sports fields, BB&T Soccer Park will be renamed BB&T Sports Park. Construction on the first phase will begin in Late Summer 2017. The second phase will enhance the stadium, with a press box, covered seats, and locker rooms to host larger events. Other phases will add a restaurant, coffee shop, workout and rehabilitation space, field house improvements, and additional restrooms.

Wise Man Brewing Expansion:

"Two shiny new 30BBL tanks!"

Credit: wisemanbeer

"Time to start a barrel program"

Credit: wisemanbeer

Residence Inn:

Nearing completion:

Credit: eddiemichaelheiner

1791 Tower Clock Restoration: Built!
This project is now completed and it looks amazing!

Credit: taylor

The O'Hanlon:

Credit: jhkerans17

607 North Trade Building:

Credit: blackadventures6

AFAS Center for the Arts:
According to Yes! Weekly, the building's opening party will include food trucks, live music, body painting, a ribbon cutting (at 2 p.m., with the mayor), building tours, and interactive artists as part of the Concrete Canvas Mural Festival. They will also include other events in the opening party. Pick-up a copy of Yes! Weekly to learn more.

Credit: Yes! Weekly

Boardroom doors:

Credit: nico_malo1

How many boardrooms have doors like this:

Boardroom doors:

Credit: nico_malo1

Easter Creek Partners Headquarters:
An update on the headquarters for an LGBT-owned development company and space for Duke University.

Credit: summb003

1834 Nissen Wagon Works - Police District Two Office: Built!
This project had its official ribbon cutting on Thursday, last week. Yes, it is now completed. This adaptive reuse project converted an old horse-drawn wagon/carriage factory, with structures built between 1834 and 1974, to a district police station. 75 people will work in this police station.

Credit: Winston-Salem Police Department

Credit: cityofwinstonsalem

US News & World Report Underrated Vacation Destinations:
Winston-Salem made the US News & World Report top-10 list for underrated vacation destinations, due to its Downtown Arts District, restaurants, and National Landmark Districts.

Graylyn Hotel & International Conference Center: Built!
The third floor of this 4-star luxury hotel is now completed, as of last Friday. Make your reservations today!

Credit: Graylyn

Construction photograph from February:

500 West Fifth Street:
We have more details. The first floor will have a coffee shop and a restaurant space. The sixth floor will have a fitness center and a community gathering space. This will become a start-up hub. Flow wanted to combine capital, ideas, mentors, and the energy they create, to one downtown location where they can grow and expand. It will also have multi-tenant space for other companies interested in relocating from other cities to downtown Winston-Salem. Flow is currently in talks with four to five possible tenants, interested in relocating to downtown Winston-Salem, for multi-tenant office space in the building. Closing appears to be delayed until June 30, so completion won't happen until Fall 2017. Construction will begin on June 30. Flow would like to have their headquarters and the start-up hub completed as soon as possible.

Credit: cineschneider

Convention Center Renovation:
Can they complete this in 16 days?

An update from WSTB Forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDrip @ WSTB Forum
Rockwell Collins - New Jobs?:
Aerospace company Rockwell Collins talked about growing their Winston-Salem operations last week. Winston-Salem is among Rockwell Collins' largest employment centers. No details at this time. Rockwell Collins employs engineers, designers, and office workers in Winston-Salem, if you're interested in working there.

The new steel appears to have topped-out?

Sunday sunset:

Credit: drewpert

Credit: carmelrhall

You can see the topped-out steel in this photograph (right side):

Credit: bill_odoowod

Credit: gabewise1

Credit: emaceee

A construction worker provides a view from the roof:

Credit: daddysmoney404

Urban explorer photographs from a few weeks ago:

Credit: imlikenevernotsarcastic

View from The Coal Pit:

Closing the openings in the floor:

Downtown Hampton Inn & Suites:
This is, by far, the slowest moving construction project in downtown.

Credit: dbll_photography

Credit: shreddyroosevelt

Hotel Indigo:
It appears as if the walls and asbestos tiles were removed and the trash was cleared-out? Do you remember the big piles of trash on the floors and in the elevator banks?

Interior demolition update:

Credit: kburn705

I'm guessing they will reuse these doors in the design of the boutique hotel?

With the asbestos tiles removed, we can finally see the original wood floors:

The light is reaching these floors once more. It's big and open without the walls and drop ceiling. The old luxury department store was big and open, similar to this, in 1928.

This floor was gutted, but the floor still has dust and paint chips on it: (Notice the original 1928 elevator doors leaning on the wall)

Robotics in Schools:
Salem Academy's all-girls high school robotics team will compete in the Tech Challenge World Championship in Houston this week. Winston-Salem-area tech companies are working to get more young people in city interested in robotics and engineering, including more young women.

Frogman Interactive Headquarters:
This is an adaptive reuse project for a creative company's Fourth Street headquarters.

Credit: frogmandiver

Conference Room:

Bookmarks Headquarters & Downtown Bookstore:

Installing a banner:

Credit: bookmarksnc

Alternative Transportation:

Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway: (Winston-Salem's High Line)
As reported last week, the section to the south of Third Street is now completed and open. It's still under construction between Third and Eighth streets.

Completed access ramp, south of Third Street:

Credit: mjrhodes

Off-Subject:

New 9th Street Brewery Mural:

Credit: aciaccia

Credit: willredding15

Credit: thatguydoub

Credit: jahblisz

Credit: jahblisz

Matt Colors? (...looks at self) Me? I guess my shirts are colorful?

Diversity Mural Restoration:
I remember seeing this mural when I was a kid. It's great to see it restored. It could be 20+ years old?

Credit: DWSP

Random Photographs:

Credit: urbanmez

Credit: thatdunlopgirl

Credit: peytonclifford

Credit: downtownwinstonsalem

Sawtooth Center for Visual Arts:

Credit: meghan_parsons

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations