HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5801  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 1:20 AM
mistercorporate's Avatar
mistercorporate mistercorporate is offline
The Fruit of Discipline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
^I wish we took rugby a little more seriously in this country. To me, it's a vastly superior sport to Canadian/ American football. Starting a pro league that draws 20,000/ game is not likely to ever happen, however, so there you go - we're kinda stuck.
Speaking of which our newest pro team, Toronto Wolfpack, is kicking ass in Rugby League apparently.

Video Link


__________________
Future Summer Olympic Games: Tokyo 2020, Paris 2024, Toronto 2028.
Tosin007: "I know I need to get laid"
WhipperSnapper: "My seriousness is simply a veil hiding a true comedic genius."
OutOfTowner: "I live in Villeray - a block from Marché Jean Talon. And my choice of hairstyle is none of your business."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5802  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 4:37 AM
GlassCity's Avatar
GlassCity GlassCity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Delta,Vancouver
Posts: 3,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
^I wish we took rugby a little more seriously in this country. To me, it's a vastly superior sport to Canadian/ American football. Starting a pro league that draws 20,000/ game is not likely to ever happen, however, so there you go - we're kinda stuck.
So do I, it's my favourite sport to watch. Of course a league like that is unrealistic, but people in Canada are almost entirely unaware of what rugby even is or what it looks like.

I think a good start would be for overseas professional leagues to get a bit more time on TV. TSN has 5 channels, might as well use them. TSN already shows Super Rugby on their online on-demand service, so it wouldn't be a big step. Obviously not too many people would watch, but I think those that play it already would at least now be able to transition into watching it occasionally too. Maybe some others could be introduced that way and it could grow at least a little from there.

A strong national team would help too. The 15s program was so exciting 5-6 years ago, but it's gotten worse with every year since then. If they're competitive and able to draw better teams for games, that wouldn't hurt local interest either.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5803  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:49 PM
VANRIDERFAN VANRIDERFAN is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
So do I, it's my favourite sport to watch. Of course a league like that is unrealistic, but people in Canada are almost entirely unaware of what rugby even is or what it looks like.

I think a good start would be for overseas professional leagues to get a bit more time on TV. TSN has 5 channels, might as well use them. TSN already shows Super Rugby on their online on-demand service, so it wouldn't be a big step. Obviously not too many people would watch, but I think those that play it already would at least now be able to transition into watching it occasionally too. Maybe some others could be introduced that way and it could grow at least a little from there.

A strong national team would help too. The 15s program was so exciting 5-6 years ago, but it's gotten worse with every year since then. If they're competitive and able to draw better teams for games, that wouldn't hurt local interest either.
About the same number who watch MLS? LOL!
But why do TSN and Sportsnet have these extra channels when all they do is show the same stuff?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5804  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 3:06 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
C'est quoi l'affaire?
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vieux Canada
Posts: 25,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
About the same number who watch MLS? LOL!
But why do TSN and Sportsnet have these extra channels when all they do is show the same stuff?
I often wonder the same thing about all those channels but in fairness to them producing your own content is pretty expensive and the ROI for a Canadian sports network is probably not enough to justify producing that much original content across 5 channels.

That said, they could do a bit more original content and also purchase stuff from a greater variety of foreign broadcasters instead of just ESPN - which I assume they get almost for free given their corporate alliances with them.
__________________
Vos veaux sont après chier - John Diefenbaker
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5805  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 3:36 PM
FrankieFlowerpot's Avatar
FrankieFlowerpot FrankieFlowerpot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,202
With TSN - it's because they are regional channels

TSN1, TSN3, TSN4 and TSN5 are the regional channels.

TSN1 is the main feed for B.C. and Alberta
TSN3 is the main feed in Saskatchewan, Manitoba and northwestern Ontario
TSN4 is the main feed for southern Ontario
TSN5 is the main feed for eastern Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5806  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 3:56 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Think about Winnipeg.
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 15,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I often wonder the same thing about all those channels but in fairness to them producing your own content is pretty expensive and the ROI for a Canadian sports network is probably not enough to justify producing that much original content across 5 channels.

That said, they could do a bit more original content and also purchase stuff from a greater variety of foreign broadcasters instead of just ESPN - which I assume they get almost for free given their corporate alliances with them.
It's kind of wild when you go overseas and the sports channels more often than not actually show sports all day long. Sure, maybe it's a relatively barebones presentation of a handball match or some random track and field event or lower-level soccer match, but it's refreshing to see that instead of talking heads in a studio breaking down the Joe Schmo-for 15th round draft pick trade for hours on end.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5807  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 4:04 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
C'est quoi l'affaire?
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vieux Canada
Posts: 25,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's kind of wild when you go overseas and the sports channels more often than not actually show sports all day long. Sure, maybe it's a relatively barebones presentation of a handball match or some random track and field event or lower-level soccer match, but it's refreshing to see that instead of talking heads in a studio breaking down the Joe Schmo-for 15th round draft pick trade for hours on end.
I've noticed that too. Live coverage of division 3 soccer games played in front of 500 people in some nearly deserted stadium...

If we did that here the CHL and U Sport in particular would get way more coverage. To what end, I a not sure though...

Of course talking heads in a studio are way cheaper than sending a full broadcast crew out to a remote location. Especially if the studio that the talking heads are in belongs to ESPN and is located in Bristol, Conn.
__________________
Vos veaux sont après chier - John Diefenbaker
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5808  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 4:06 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
C'est quoi l'affaire?
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vieux Canada
Posts: 25,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
With TSN - it's because they are regional channels

TSN1, TSN3, TSN4 and TSN5 are the regional channels.

TSN1 is the main feed for B.C. and Alberta
TSN3 is the main feed in Saskatchewan, Manitoba and northwestern Ontario
TSN4 is the main feed for southern Ontario
TSN5 is the main feed for eastern Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes.
One thing I have noticed these playoffs is that the Ottawa local CBC station is showing the Leafs series, and when the Sens are playing at the same time the Sens are still on Sportsnet. At least that is what I've seen so far.
__________________
Vos veaux sont après chier - John Diefenbaker
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5809  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 4:08 PM
HomeInMyShoes's Avatar
HomeInMyShoes HomeInMyShoes is offline
arf
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pile 'O Bones
Posts: 10,538
I'd love to see the university sports. I'm sure the film students at the universities could do some decent coverage with a camera. It might not even be live and there might be no stats, but it would be a start.

Start somewhere. I used to watch the Cougars play basketball on the local access channel and it was terrible quality, but you got to see the games.
__________________

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5810  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 10:38 PM
JHikka's Avatar
JHikka JHikka is offline
Haru Urara
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Saint John, New Brunswick
Posts: 3,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'd love to see the university sports. I'm sure the film students at the universities could do some decent coverage with a camera. It might not even be live and there might be no stats, but it would be a start.
I've always thought there's been a lot of unfulfilled potential in university sports in Canada. TheScore used to put some effort into nationally broadcasting USports but lately Sportsnet has not carried that banner at all. It's a bit disappointing. The same can be said for the CHL, although SNet has been steadily broadcasting more and more games over the past few seasons. It's always been baffling to me how the CHL doesn't have more pull nationally on TV.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5811  
Old Posted Yesterday, 4:34 AM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is online now
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 3,969
The display today at our local Sportchek:



I suspect that it'll be a while before the Raptors' fandom surpasses that of the Leafs in small-town Ontario. If it ever does. There are definitely passionate hoops fans here, but they're still vastly outnumbered.

Interestingly enough, a kid in his twenties with a Laotian background running a restaurant here in town told me that one of his motivations for opening up his business was to have a place to watch Raptors' games with his friends without any interference from hockey. Funny he said that, because it is true that any bar in town with multiple TVs will be showing hockey exclusively during the season, and then baseball and NFL during their seasons, so there's some overlap, but if you ask to watch a Raptors' game you generally get ushered to a TV as far away from the others as possible. That's been my experience, anyway, though it's been a while since I went out somewhere to watch the Raptors.

By the way, it's not unusual at all to see Habs flags, hats and jerseys around here, but I bet you don't see any Leafs paraphernalia in Quebec!

Video Link
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:54 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.