HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Whoah Landscaping! I could never figure out how such a big church could not have even a single tree.
Maybe don't get too excited about it, yet! If I recall correctly of what was mentioned, their original vision for landscaping from some time ago is projected to be more expensive than they'd like, so compromising on a few features may be comptemplated.

I guess constructing Living Hope Alliance to or close to commercial or institutional specs in this era is pretty expensive, so that budgeting for landscaping was not a big priority. Living Hope had been established, with its fairly large size in mind, when Hillsdale Alliance outgrew it's facility, due in part to the increasing student population from the former Canadian Bible College (4th Ave. & Lewvan Dr. - CBC was a Christian and Missionary Alliance (C&MA) institution having the same affiliation with most of the Alliance churches) populating the local C&MA and other denominational churches during the late 90's and into 2000's before they (CBC) moved out of Regina to establish Ambrose University in Calgary, and also due in part in considering Regina's growing population.

Another large church in a large building includes Circle Drive Alliance in Saskatoon, which seats 2000+ persons in their main Sanctuary, vs just under 1000 in Living Hope. Now Regina Apostolic Church on Assiniboine Ave. looks pretty sizeable with its new gymnasium addition. I don't know or remember if their landscaping was sparse for a number of years from when they established.

Edit: Looks like the parcel of land that Living Hope occupies is fairly large! ie. paying off that purchased value alongside the construction expenses probably would have pushed landscaping down in priority even more during the period.

Last edited by Scruff Bucket; Apr 21, 2017 at 1:33 AM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 9:11 PM

When you consider that some of the major European churches took literally centuries to complete (and the Sagrada Familia church in Barcelona remains under construction and will be for decades, even though it was started in the late 19th century), I think we can give local churches a decade or three to figure out their landscaping.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruff Bucket View Post
Maybe don't get too excited about it, yet! If I recall correctly of what was mentioned, their original vision for landscaping from some time ago is projected to be more expensive than they'd like, so compromising on a few features may be comptemplated.

I guess constructing Living Hope Alliance to or close to commercial or institutional specs in this era is pretty expensive, so that budgeting for landscaping was not a big priority. Living Hope had been established, with its fairly large size in mind, when Hillsdale Alliance outgrew it's facility, due in part to the increasing student population from the former Canadian Bible College (4th Ave. & Lewvan Dr. - CBC was a Christian and Missionary Alliance (C&MA) institution having the same affiliation with most of the Alliance churches) populating the local C&MA and other denominational churches during the late 90's and into 2000's before they (CBC) moved out of Regina to establish Ambrose University in Calgary, and also due in part in considering Regina's growing population.

Another large church in a large building includes Circle Drive Alliance in Saskatoon, which seats 2000+ persons in their main Sanctuary, vs just under 1000 in Living Hope. Now Regina Apostolic Church on Assiniboine Ave. looks pretty sizeable with its new gymnasium addition. I don't know or remember if their landscaping was sparse for a number of years from when they established.

Edit: Looks like the parcel of land that Living Hope occupies is fairly large! ie. paying off that purchased value alongside the construction expenses probably would have pushed landscaping down in priority even more during the period.
The church has struggled with dwindling attendance for a while. It might be a bit better now.

The only reason they can afford to do anything is because they sold their excess land to the developers who sold to Revera.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnicalRecession View Post
Speaking of cutting down mature trees, I see the city has cut down three mature trees (2 American Elms and 1 ash tree) at the north east corner of Victoria park. There is a big gap at that entrance now with no trees and really ruins that entrance into the park. I believe the city has cut a few other mature trees down in that vicinity in recent years, anyone know what's the deal?
Good news. There will be a ceremony Sunday at 3pm in Vic Park. Tree Canada will be kicking off their Canada 150 project. 150 tree planting ceremonies across Canada. Regina is the kickoff. They will be planting 3 symbolic, caliper-size trees in the NE corner:

Sugar Maple (Canada) Okaneese Poplar (First Nations) and White Birch (SK))

There is also a bit a festival with a free BBQ and entertainment.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Good news. There will be a ceremony Sunday at 3pm in Vic Park. Tree Canada will be kicking off their Canada 150 project. 150 tree planting ceremonies across Canada. Regina is the kickoff. They will be planting 3 symbolic, caliper-size trees in the NE corner:

How about they focus on planting trees in all the horrible looking boulevards on Victoria Avenue. It's such an embarrassment!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Boi View Post
How about they focus on planting trees in all the horrible looking boulevards on Victoria Avenue. It's such an embarrassment!
If you read the City's Urban Forest Strategy, Vic Ave is a high priority for tree planting as both a ceremonial route and a gateway.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
If you read the City's Urban Forest Strategy, Vic Ave is a high priority for tree planting as both a ceremonial route and a gateway.
Yes I know. I just don't understand why they just don't get on with it. The boulevards are a hot mess. The one in front of Atlantis and Sask Power doesn't even have a concrete barrier anymore, it's just a pile of dirt and grass now.

It's a relatively small and affordable project and would make downtown look fantastic. Whenever I drive down Vic from Broad to Albert in the evening, I can't help but think how amazing it would look full of trees, with white lights in them. It would be beautiful. I mentioned this on the City of Regina FB page a year ago or so, and a woman commented that they should just rip the boulevards out and put another lane in, because getting out of downtown during rush hour is horrible. Sadly that's how the majority of Regina residents think. lol

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 2:36 AM

Thumbs down Vic park trees

Quote:

I am all for planting trees in Vic park and the city in general, but sugar maples are not hardy here, birch trees are subject to two significant pests and are not long lived anyway, and poplars are notoriously shallow rooted and weak when they get larger due to their rapid growth. Just replant the elms for goodness sake. Plant the ornamentals in wascana centre.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoR East View Post
I am all for planting trees in Vic park and the city in general, but sugar maples are not hardy here, birch trees are subject to two significant pests and are not long lived anyway, and poplars are notoriously shallow rooted and weak when they get larger due to their rapid growth. Just replant the elms for goodness sake. Plant the ornamentals in wascana centre.
I believe there is a variety of sugar maple called Legacy that should do ok in the City especially with our seemingly warmer winters. I am looking forward to some red fall foliage.

Last edited by Stormer; Apr 22, 2017 at 10:58 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Boi View Post
Yes I know. I just don't understand why they just don't get on with it. The boulevards are a hot mess. The one in front of Atlantis and Sask Power doesn't even have a concrete barrier anymore, it's just a pile of dirt and grass now.

It's a relatively small and affordable project and would make downtown look fantastic. Whenever I drive down Vic from Broad to Albert in the evening, I can't help but think how amazing it would look full of trees, with white lights in them. It would be beautiful. I mentioned this on the City of Regina FB page a year ago or so, and a woman commented that they should just rip the boulevards out and put another lane in, because getting out of downtown during rush hour is horrible. Sadly that's how the majority of Regina residents think. lol
Absolutely agree! Shame on the city for letting Victoria Avenue get to this state. Every time I come home from Toronto, I am excited to see if maybe they have done something...but always a pure disappointment to see they haven't.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Maybe we should apply some Luciferase?

Hopefully they can handle our winter.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 12:40 AM

Some may find this thread of interest:

Regina's Urban Forest

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 9:59 AM

It is so hard to show some pride in this town. Walking/driving down the street and i see slobs throwing garbage out as they are walking/driving. Then you still have the pile of rubble on a major downtown street,it is hard to show some love when the citizens or even city council don't show there pride

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Ashlar View Post
Maybe we should apply some Luciferase?

Hopefully they can handle our winter.

Surely none of those are real. Pic number two you can literally see a cord.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 6:54 PM

Victoria park trees

Quote:

Good news indeed. According to this CBC report, 75 (!) trees will be planted in Victoria Park.

"New trees planted in Regina's Victoria Park.

City, CN spend $50K to plant total of 75 trees in city's oldest park"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...park-1.4082339

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 9:04 PM

Does anyone know what's going up beside Taylor Volkswagen? I heard rumours that it's some sort of government building... anyone with better information?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefollowingchapter View Post
Does anyone know what's going up beside Taylor Volkswagen? I heard rumours that it's some sort of government building... anyone with better information?
SARM Head Office. Was supposed to be at Rose and 13th originally.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
SARM Head Office. Was supposed to be at Rose and 13th originally.
A real loss for downtown. One of many we lost when the boom ended.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
A real loss for downtown. One of many we lost when the boom ended.
Many of these are about the cost of providing parking, unfortunately.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Many of these are about the cost of providing parking, unfortunately.
It really is too bad, especially since their suburban variant is so fugly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan