HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I remember that applique on the windows. I think it went away when Tim Horton's went in there.
It's quite possible that I just didn't pay attention to it when it was there, but now it's conspicuous by its absence.

Quote:
I find it interesting that the Vogue Optical Building across the street apparently also had a much more interesting window treatment than it does now:
It must have been added sometime in the sixties as it's not present in the earlier photos.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
You can see a lot of detailing on the Tramway Building that isn't present anymore. There was also some kind of addition or separate building next door that looked interesting.

The Tramway Building is, architecturally, pretty unique in Halifax. I hope it gets restored. Theoretically that's what should happen since it's more than a century old and is in the middle of a heritage district..
Yes, it's startling how much detail has been lost over the years - I'm guessing it was removed due to crumbling/deterioration of the facing? Adding the brickwork at the bottom didn't really do it any favours either, as it doesn't match the rest of the building and tends to minimize its significance as an early concrete structure.

I agree that it would be a good candidate for restoration. Hopefully it happens.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 5:03 PM

I do remember the decoration on the Canada Trust building - I also remember the lot on the corner of Argyle with the bill boards and the old fence around the lot - My grandfather used to work at the Herald so would have visited in the area when I was young - Amazing how things change without anybody noticing. Interesting to see the old Rosedale Flower Shop - I was told by an owner years ago how on New Years Eve there would be a line out their door and around the corner for men picking up corsage - Again how things change - Most shops don't sell many corsages for New Years these days

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:20 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
I do remember the decoration on the Canada Trust building - I also remember the lot on the corner of Argyle with the bill boards and the old fence around the lot - My grandfather used to work at the Herald so would have visited in the area when I was young - Amazing how things change without anybody noticing. Interesting to see the old Rosedale Flower Shop - I was told by an owner years ago how on New Years Eve there would be a line out their door and around the corner for men picking up corsage - Again how things change - Most shops don't sell many corsages for New Years these days

this building has a restoration coming - i dont know all the details, but they got some heritage funding from the city to restore it to its original apperance and i was contacted by an architect wondering what my source of the original drawings was.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post

this building has a restoration coming - i dont know all the details, but they got some heritage funding from the city to restore it to its original apperance and i was contacted by an architect wondering what my source of the original drawings was.
I'm happy to hear this - A significant example of early curtainwall construction in Atlantic Canada. Steven Malnell, who used to be Director (?) or Dean (?) of Dalhousie University School of Architecture wrote a book called "Atlantic Modern" that I seem to recall includes this building. He's with Dal's College of Sustainability now, I believe, and is one of the leaders of the DOCOMOMO (DOcumentation and COnservation of the MOdern MOvement) in Atlantic Canada. No doubt he'd be a valuable resource.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 9:15 PM

Here's a picture I had not seen before, of the Dominion Public Building (the old Post Office) on Bedford Row under construction, with the Customs House in the background and the present Art Gallery of NS building of the left. The Provincial Building is also under construction on the near left.

Photo posted by Jeannie Langley on Facebook.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 9:56 PM

Wow! Fascinating shot, Keith. A window of time not easily found in old photographs.

You can still see the remnants of the Military Fuel Yard that the Dominion Public Building was built on (see map below).

https://novascotia.ca/archives/maps/archives.asp?ID=32

Just in front of the Customs House you can see the Commissariat Office still standing:

https://novascotia.ca/archives/Royal...ives.asp?ID=40

Additionally, it looks like the whole block of buildings (to the right in the photo below) has been torn down.

https://novascotia.ca/archives/Notma...ves.asp?ID=923

This would be the location of the second AGNS building (Provincial Building) at 1723 Hollis St. I haven't been able to find a build date for it, but presumably it was around the same time frame.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
If you look closely at Victorian houses around Halifax, masonry construction above the foundation is pretty common. I think there are a lot of houses that have wooden cladding on top of brick (I've read that the more colourful painted wood siding was in fashion back then, but I don't remember the source). There are also a lot of masonry buildings that were covered in siding in recent decades. There are also many rowhouses that are stucco on brick.

I like to point out buildings like this one: https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.63565...2!8i6656?hl=en

Note the brick around the doorway. I'm guessing this one is mostly or entirely masonry construction.
You are right! I stumbled upon some photos from the sixties on the Municipal Archives site that show parts of that building and it does appear that it was of masonry construction.

I believe it is on the right in this photo apparently taken from Victoria looking towards Inglis:

And a little bit of it on the right in this shot - can't tell for sure but it almost looks like it has been stuccoed over the brick. You can see the entrance to 5429 Inglis just ahead:

Source - search for "[5429] Inglis St."

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos