HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 6:53 PM

Although, at this time, NFL in Toronto is entirely unviable, I am fundamentally against it since I want to protect the CFL. It would be great if the CFL grew and got the respect it deserves. It would be great if we could go back to the years when there would be NFL vs. CFL exhibition games and these wouldn't be one-sided matches. If the NFL expands into Canada, the CFL's view as an inferior league will be cemented, rather than a top notch professional league.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Of course they had a victory parade and/or rally in Calgary when the Stamps won the Grey Cup. What are you talking about?

They even had one in Toronto () when the Argos won the Grey Cup a couple of years ago!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-JX01j7FYQ

And the CFL is pretty relevant in many parts of the country, including in Ottawa and Hamilton which are in Ontario last I checked.
Yeah there was a rally here but it was pretty lame compared to what a Stanley Cup would be. And yes, Ottawa and Hamilton are relevant but c'mon, if Ottawa or any team tanks in the CFL do you really think the fans will still come out in droves like Rider fans do? That was my main point - they are the only truly passionate CFL fans - its not even close.

Last edited by tomthumb2; Apr 21, 2017 at 8:29 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:04 PM
C'est quoi l'affaire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX-ME View Post
Although, at this time, NFL in Toronto is entirely unviable, I am fundamentally against it since I want to protect the CFL. It would be great if the CFL grew and got the respect it deserves. It would be great if we could go back to the years when there would be NFL vs. CFL exhibition games and these wouldn't be one-sided matches. If the NFL expands into Canada, the CFL's view as an inferior league will be cemented, rather than a top notch professional league.
As much as I love the CFL, I have to admit it's too late on that front. At least with certain demographics and certain regions.

The best we can hope for is for the CFL to be viewed in a similar way NCAA football and basketball are viewed in the U.S. As maybe not as good as the big league but still fun and worthwhile to follow. With small niches where it's truly seen as the big time.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:14 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Toronto isn't a bad sports town overall but it's not really a standout one either.

The Blue Jays have had some low attendance years in the past (sub 20,000 average) and it wasn't that long ago that the Raptors weren't even close to selling out on average.

None of this is to the point where the teams would leave of course, but the sports mecca talk is very overdone.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, Toronto is a "shiny object" sports town. It so happens right now that a number of its teams are "shiny".

We'll see later this year if the Blue Jays for example are still packing them in if they continue to suck so badly.
Some are misinterpreting posts. Toronto as a sports mecca hasn't been implied. The Blue Jays and Raptors were crap for over a decade. There are few teams that wouldn't see their attendance hit hard.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:17 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

How does one explain the Leafs and TFC, teams that were crap yet had passionate fans and well attended games.
OutOfTowner: "I live in Villeray - a block from Marché Jean Talon. And my choice of hairstyle is none of your business."

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:18 PM

We're going to see how the CFL/Stampeders rank in importance on Monday:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ncil-1.4079031

If initial reports are true and the Stamps only get some "minor" improvements to McMahon stadium - it won't be great news for the long term health of that franchise, IMO.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:18 PM

Who even plays football in Canada anyways? This is a dying sport. I wouldn't sign my kids up for football, let alone know where to go for it. Kids are playing hockey, soccer, baseball, and basketball. Those will continue to gain in popularity in the future. Investing in an NFL team would be a waste.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
We're going to see how the CFL/Stampeders rank in importance on Monday:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ncil-1.4079031

If initial reports are true and the Stamps only get some "minor" improvements to McMahon stadium - it won't be great news for the long term health of that franchise, IMO.
If the CalgaryNext proposal wasn't so half-assed it could have been done, says nothing wrt the health of the franchise.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:21 PM
C'est quoi l'affaire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Some are misinterpreting posts. Toronto as a sports mecca hasn't been implied. The Blue Jays and Raptors were crap for over a decade. There are few teams that wouldn't see their attendance hit hard.

OK then. It's been strongly implied that an NFL franchise would put Toronto over the top as a sports mecca. The cherry on top. The crown jewel.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:28 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
OK then. It's been strongly implied that an NFL franchise would put Toronto over the top as a sports mecca. The cherry on top. The crown jewel.
By one guy responding to another guy putting down the market here. You can really count that.

This was back when Jays were best
http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...992-misc.shtml

notice some of the other teams.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Smartest thing you have said in all of your 31 posts. Now you should declare victory and then walk away.
Come on. This is a forum. I'm sure you had read me better than that. Our disagreement doesn't make the other point of view worthless. I have presented enough facts. My personal view on the NFL and Toronto as a sports market doesn't warrant my silence.

Someone said keep out the foreigners. That's not who we are as a people. That's why I am here. And we don't try to shut down people who disagree with us. Do we? Silence them? Throw 'em into the incinerators? Kill the metrosexual soccer players?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtsandrobots View Post
Come on. This is a forum. I'm sure you had read me better than that. Our disagreement doesn't make the other point of view worthless. I have presented enough facts. My personal view on the NFL and Toronto as a sports market doesn't warrant my silence.

Someone said keep out the foreigners. That's not who we are as a people. That's why I am here. And we don't try to shut down people who disagree with us. Do we? Silence them? Throw 'em into the incinerators? Kill the metrosexual soccer players?
I'd vote yes for that......... (JK!)

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:40 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
I'd vote yes for that......... (JK!)
How do you plan to do that, by rolling the lard-bucket geriatric CFL fans over them? How do you entice them away from their farm animals?
OutOfTowner: "I live in Villeray - a block from Marché Jean Talon. And my choice of hairstyle is none of your business."

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
How do you plan to do that, by rolling the lard-bucket geriatric CFL fans over them? How do you entice them away from their farm animals?
Did a CFL fan kill your Dad or something?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:45 PM
C'est quoi l'affaire?

Quote:
Kinda fun tho. I wonder what would happen if I said what I also believe to be a massive truth...basketball and soccer will be the future of sports in this region.
So once you've killed off the CFL you're going to set your gunsights on hockey?

Thanks for the heads-up!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:47 PM

This is the future of Canada.

On one side, you have a set of people for whom the selection is less diverse. What exists has always seemingly been there. It's a tradition they can't see past. Of course, I'm talking about the hockey and CFL thing on the Prairies. They defend it. Soccer is gay. Basketball too.

On the other side, you have a set of people for whom diversity is everything. Things are changing and ambition is plentiful. There is soccer and basketball and baseball and football and hockey and now rugby. They want more. They are open to possibilities.

And this is why you will never see that many white people together in one place in Toronto as you will in Maple Leaf Square during a Leafs game. Same thing in the city itself. Hockey people vs. everything else.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:50 PM

Maybe this thread should be renamed "Arrogant, a-hole, center of the universe metrosexuals VS In-bred, cow tipping, fat bastard hicks"?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:52 PM

Quote:
So once you've killed off the CFL you're going to set your gunsights on hockey?

Thanks for the heads-up!
Where do you presume this crap?

You will note that in my first posts I excitedly included the CFL in my sports mecca list. I proclaimed it could survive the NFL and should.

I want a broad sports palette in my city. I want it all. The same as I want to live among South Asians, and Asians, blacks, Latinos, Polish people, girls who love to wear Lululemon and dudes who live and die with each Sampdoria goal.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:52 PM

Quote:
This is the future of Canada.

On one side, you have a set of people for whom the selection is less diverse. What exists has always seemingly been there. It's a tradition they can't see past. Of course, I'm talking about the hockey and CFL thing on the Prairies. They defend it. Soccer is gay. Basketball too.

On the other side, you have a set of people for whom diversity is everything. Things are changing and ambition is plentiful. There is soccer and basketball and baseball and football and hockey and now rugby. They want more. They are open to possibilities.

And this is why you will never see that many white people together in one place in Toronto as you will in Maple Leaf Square during a Leafs game. Same thing in the city itself. Hockey people vs. everything else.
Welcome to the forum!

A word of advice, seeing what went down today in the Canada forum. Try not to generalize and group people into racial or cultural groups. People here don't like that.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Maybe this thread should be renamed "Arrogant, a-hole, center of the universe metrosexuals VS In-bred, cow tipping, fat bastard hicks"?
Top drawer sir! Top drawer!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada