HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8321  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 7:12 PM
WestCoastSupertall's Avatar
WestCoastSupertall WestCoastSupertall is offline
LADevelopmentMap
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 123
^^ The wood fence went up at the Four Seasons Private Residences years ago and nothing is happening behind it, so I wouldn't plan on that project
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8322  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 7:17 PM
colemonkee's Avatar
colemonkee colemonkee is offline
Ridin' into the sunset
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: L.A. - Skid row adjacent
Posts: 7,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve8263 View Post
-Century Plaza hotel hopefully has movement but I defer to Colemonkee for any progress update.
Exterior demo of the former Equinox building behind the hotel is ongoing and looks like it will be complete sometime in the next few weeks. They'll need to demo the existing underground structures where the two new towers will go, but they have signage for new residences all around the property, so assume those towers are a go. Should be slow going for the next 4-6 months, but once the site prep and foundation work is underway, it should climb up pretty quickly.
__________________
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8323  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 2:54 PM
Steve8263's Avatar
Steve8263 Steve8263 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastSupertall View Post
^^ The wood fence went up at the Four Seasons Private Residences years ago and nothing is happening behind it, so I wouldn't plan on that project
Thanks for the info gents.

This Four Seasons project is quite strange. All the media on it implies it's a go with the penthouse reserved, financing in place, contract awarded to the builder (Webcor) and construction fencing up. But indeed nobody has been on site for eons so who knows what the problem is.

http://reflectionsofla.com/

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...Ultra-High-End

Photos of the groundbreaking-
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ul5cn4iwx...Ts9Xrjrqa?dl=0

http://www.webcor.com/press/genton-p...s-los-angeles/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8324  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 4:04 PM
blackcat23's Avatar
blackcat23 blackcat23 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,313
^The fencing used to be wrapped with promotional signage, which has now been removed. Not a good sign.

Now, for a mid-rise development that actually is happening...

Casden West LA

__________________
Urbanize LA - Covering real estate development, architecture and urban planning in the Greater Los Angeles Area.

Please follow on Twitter @UrbanizeLA, Facebook and Instagram.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8325  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 7:33 PM
Illithid Dude's Avatar
Illithid Dude Illithid Dude is offline
Paramoderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Santa Monica / New York City
Posts: 2,555
Are there still no renderings for Casden LA?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8326  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 2:09 AM
hughfb3 hughfb3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 397
1755 Argyle; The Related building in Hollywood behind Capital Records, has its facade being put in place now and it looks Goooood!!!! They have all Glass balcony railing and a dark tint to the doors and windows much like Atelier downtown. I look forward to seeing more of the facade as it goes in
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8327  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 2:32 PM
colemonkee's Avatar
colemonkee colemonkee is offline
Ridin' into the sunset
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: L.A. - Skid row adjacent
Posts: 7,046
Wilshire and Crescent Heights from yesterday evening while stopped at a stoplight. Looks like roughly 10 more floors to go.


Image Source: Me and my outdated iPhone
__________________
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8328  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 2:02 AM
RaymondChandlerLives's Avatar
RaymondChandlerLives RaymondChandlerLives is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 67
"The Crown" on Santa Monica and Kings Rd looks just about complete:

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; Apr 16, 2017 at 7:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8329  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 7:17 AM
RaymondChandlerLives's Avatar
RaymondChandlerLives RaymondChandlerLives is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 67
The Domain 7141-7155 Santa Monica Blvd:



The Avalon (former: Movietown Plaza), partially complete.

Trader Joe's re-opened a few days ago, a bit closer to the street than its former location.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8330  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 2:52 PM
colemonkee's Avatar
colemonkee colemonkee is offline
Ridin' into the sunset
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: L.A. - Skid row adjacent
Posts: 7,046
Drove by the Crown yesterday on my way to Easter brunch. It's not bad.
__________________
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8331  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 4:39 PM
ChargerCarl's Avatar
ChargerCarl ChargerCarl is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles/San Francisco
Posts: 2,310
^Those 3 "shitboxes" are actually pretty nice. I like them without the weird colors or corrugated metal.
__________________
This Machine Kills NIMBYs
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8332  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 9:02 PM
Steve8263's Avatar
Steve8263 Steve8263 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
^The fencing used to be wrapped with promotional signage, which has now been removed. Not a good sign.
Follow up to the Four Seasons project, My remark that they had financing in place was wrong, still looking for a construction loan-

https://therealdeal.com/la/issues_ar...randed-condos/

Jet-setting foreign investors are a key to Genton’s plan to sell the Four Seasons. Of the 18 buyers who’ve already paid deposits, the vast majority are from overseas, he said. The idea is that foreigners will be particularly swayed by the strength of the Four Seasons brand.

In the case of the Four Seasons, Genton is soliciting offers on units before he’s even secured a construction loan to move ahead with the project.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8333  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 11:41 PM
Pedestrian's Avatar
Pedestrian Pedestrian is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,308
Not sure of the geographical limits of "non-metro" Los Angeles but I don't think we in NorCal can claim this one:

Quote:
This New Development Will Be The Priciest Hotel On The California Coast
04.21.2017

What could become the most expensive hotel on the California coast is under development an hour north of Los Angeles. The Rosewood Miramar Beach Montecito will be a five star hotel and mark retail mogul Rick Caruso’s first foray into the hospitality business, the Wall Street Journal reports. The hotel will sit on 16 acres and offer 161 guest rooms and family bungalows . . . .

Miramar’s goal will be to re-create a sense of old-world luxury that invokes 1930s opulence. Caruso will invest over $200M into the project and said he is actively looking for more unique sites to expand his burgeoning luxury resort business.

(Montecito)
Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/national/news...medium=Browser
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8334  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 2:28 AM
user2468 user2468 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 77
A couple of updates from Warner Center and Hollywood.

The former Rocketdyne plant is almost fully demoed, but it'll be a long while until we see some actual construction on this huge parcel of land.

http://urbanize.la/post/demolition-u...ocketdyne-site

Rocketdyne Site #1 - 4/12/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr

Rocketdyne Site #2 - 4/12/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr

Rocketdyne Site #3 - 4/12/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr

In Hollywood, it appears that preparation is finally underway for The Rise Hollywood on Cahuenga, with demolition of the previous buildings now in full swing.

http://urbanize.la/post/fresh-renderings-rise-hollywood

1311 N. Cahuenga Boulevard #1 - 4/15/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr

1311 N. Cahuenga Boulevard #2 - 4/15/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr

1311 N. Cahuenga Boulevard #3 - 4/15/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr

As a bonus, here's a shot I took from Sunset and Argyle. Notice what a difference the last 10 or so years of progress makes on this previously dull street, with future projects such as the Palladium towers and Modera Argyle just north of that to further transform the area.

http://urbanize.la/post/la-city-coun...ium-residences

http://urbanize.la/post/first-look-h...-modera-argyle

Argyle Avenue (Hollywood) - 4/15/2017 by Juan Gomez, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8335  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 4:15 PM
blackcat23's Avatar
blackcat23 blackcat23 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,313
__________________
Urbanize LA - Covering real estate development, architecture and urban planning in the Greater Los Angeles Area.

Please follow on Twitter @UrbanizeLA, Facebook and Instagram.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8336  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 4:08 PM
blackcat23's Avatar
blackcat23 blackcat23 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,313
__________________
Urbanize LA - Covering real estate development, architecture and urban planning in the Greater Los Angeles Area.

Please follow on Twitter @UrbanizeLA, Facebook and Instagram.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8337  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 11:21 PM
Bikemike's Avatar
Bikemike Bikemike is offline
ride or die
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 342
Culver is becoming the most architecturally cosmopolitan LA-area nexus in this boom. As a SM homeowner, I view CC as my neighborhood and support what's happening there. Aside from supporting the same backwards parking ratios which afflicts our entire metro area, the architectural boom surrounding CC station is consistently more sophisticated than DTLA's and SMs - very European. A truly modern transit village with a lot of potential to spur growth organically eastwards down an already walkable and underutilized Washington Blvd. DTLA is a mixed bag so far; akin to downtown Miami, with too many oppressive, car-oriented islands, and tons of stupid looking design. Heavy douche factor involved there.

Santa Monica (especially the NIMBYs who killed Bergamot) are going to view the CC station with both envy and regret in the coming years, thanks to their lack of vision. On top of that, SM has a tendency of getting either one of the same two developers for every single project (NMS, or some other clunky over-designed shitbox by Gwynne Pugh), making for a sterile local vernacular. Luckily, however, SM's architectural mediocrity is made up for by its unbeatable walkability (for LA standards), superior fine-grainedness (for LA standards), safety, and cleanliness, the combination of which is exceedingly rare in our metro area.

Speaking of "grainedness", I hate NIMBYs, but one thing is true. LA's developments tend toward brutal in scale, and is "coarse-grained" as it gets. The great thing about SM and CC is they're in good transit proximity to each other (urban synergy) and their focus on smaller-scale density is superior to the unfortunate crap in that lies between these two cities (i.e. WLA, Palms). Credit where it's due: NIMBYs helped SM and CC avoid the ugly scale of density that afflicts much the rest of LA. The thing NIMBYs don't get is, brutally scaled urban design is the direct result of auto-oriented zoning rather than density in and of itself. I share their fear. But NIMBYs need to change their approach. Moratoriums don't address the problem.

Sucks, right? LA seems cursed by two equally unpalatable choices when it concerns growth: no growth (NIMBYism) or the inhumane, coarse-grained, nature of auto-orientation. Luckily for SM, CC, and to some extent, West Hollywood, they are not part of LA and can thank their NIMBYs for not selling out (albeit using the wrong reasoning) when this kind of development is in mode in neighboring LA. The challenge for our region is how to rationally bridge the divide and meet in the middle, with the aid of our expanding rail network. Once again, Southern California can thank the smarter half of our state for coming up with a progressive fix (CADOT reform) to save us from ourselves. As always, progress starts up North, and trickles South.

Last edited by Bikemike; Apr 21, 2017 at 12:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8338  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 6:26 AM
jgacis jgacis is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 113
Latest progress of Elon's tunnel at the SpaceX facility parking lot in Hawthorne. Pics taken earlier today...




Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8339  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 7:41 AM
ChargerCarl's Avatar
ChargerCarl ChargerCarl is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles/San Francisco
Posts: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikemike View Post
Culver is becoming the most architecturally cosmopolitan LA-area nexus in this boom. As a SM homeowner, I view CC as my neighborhood and support what's happening there. Aside from supporting the same backwards parking ratios which afflicts our entire metro area, the architectural boom surrounding CC station is consistently more sophisticated than DTLA's and SMs - very European. A truly modern transit village with a lot of potential to spur growth organically eastwards down an already walkable and underutilized Washington Blvd. DTLA is a mixed bag so far; akin to downtown Miami, with too many oppressive, car-oriented islands, and tons of stupid looking design. Heavy douche factor involved there.

Santa Monica (especially the NIMBYs who killed Bergamot) are going to view the CC station with both envy and regret in the coming years, thanks to their lack of vision. On top of that, SM has a tendency of getting either one of the same two developers for every single project (NMS, or some other clunky over-designed shitbox by Gwynne Pugh), making for a sterile local vernacular. Luckily, however, SM's architectural mediocrity is made up for by its unbeatable walkability (for LA standards), superior fine-grainedness (for LA standards), safety, and cleanliness, the combination of which is exceedingly rare in our metro area.

Speaking of "grainedness", I hate NIMBYs, but one thing is true. LA's developments tend toward brutal in scale, and is "coarse-grained" as it gets. The great thing about SM and CC is they're in good transit proximity to each other (urban synergy) and their focus on smaller-scale density is superior to the unfortunate crap in that lies between these two cities (i.e. WLA, Palms). Credit where it's due: NIMBYs helped SM and CC avoid the ugly scale of density that afflicts much the rest of LA. The thing NIMBYs don't get is, brutally scaled urban design is the direct result of auto-oriented zoning rather than density in and of itself. I share their fear. But NIMBYs need to change their approach. Moratoriums don't address the problem.

Sucks, right? LA seems cursed by two equally unpalatable choices when it concerns growth: no growth (NIMBYism) or the inhumane, coarse-grained, nature of auto-orientation. Luckily for SM, CC, and to some extent, West Hollywood, they are not part of LA and can thank their NIMBYs for not selling out (albeit using the wrong reasoning) when this kind of development is in mode in neighboring LA. The challenge for our region is how to rationally bridge the divide and meet in the middle, with the aid of our expanding rail network. Once again, Southern California can thank the smarter half of our state for coming up with a progressive fix (CADOT reform) to save us from ourselves. As always, progress starts up North, and trickles South.
The lack of fine grained development is a regulatory issue caused by rampant NIMBYism. All the anti-urban building codes they lobby for + no development allowed in most residential neighborhoods (where most small lots are) pretty much make it impossible.
__________________
This Machine Kills NIMBYs
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8340  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 10:12 PM
bzcat bzcat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 244
blackcat23 is not shilling it but I feel his excellent take on the proposed changes in West LA Expo corridor zoning deserves some discussion here: http://urbanize.la/post/breaking-dow...ghborhood-plan

tl;dr - Good idea overall to convert some industrial and commercial use to mixed use and/or work/live zoning but overall, not dense enough, and potentially problematic status quo freezing of R1 zoning in Rancho Park.


Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:51 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.