HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 2:13 AM

Interesting rumour. I had long felt that the project was too big to just totally disappear. I shall wait with baited breath for the new renderings.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 2:27 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
No way KW gets a 150m building in the near future... right now the tallest isn't even 80m. Taller towers will probably begin to pop up along the new LRT route, but not that tall. There is a huge jump from Niagara Falls to the next city with a 150m tower, Calgary. Yes, we skipped right over Hamilton, Winnipeg, Quebec City, Ottawa and Edmonton. The only reason the Falls has one is because of a massive tourist attraction.
It depends on how you count things. By antennae Hamilton and Quebec both make it. Winnipeg definitely has a proposal above it, Ottawa has a few, and Hamilton has this weird thing that might be a proposal and might be over 150m that we can look forward to seeing built when the sun, moon, and galactic centre next align.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 2:31 AM

Fun time for Toronto right now, as we have quite a bit on the go with regards to rumors/proposals

We have the York St rumor of a 700ft+ office tower going up over Union Station with UT working on the story now, then we have the 870ft office tower proposal at 156 Front St with a rumor of Cadillac Fairview working with a big potential tenant, then we have a rumor tonight of Oxford Place going ahead which is epic in itself with two potential supertalls. The 1 Yonge super project is racing ahead with developers trying to get this one moving ASAP by bypassing city bureaucracy and red tape (4-5 towers all over 200m). On top of this, Wellsely On The Park will likely get upgraded to 60+ stories making it a 200m+ tower, and should sell quite nicely IMO.

YC Condos also is over 90% sold out and will stand at 650ft (198m) in height, and 1 Yorkville is also close to sold out and will be close to 620ft with a reasonable chance of a height increase.

So much stuff to be excited about

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 2:41 AM
ARTchitecture

Why would we be counting antennas at all in this discussion of cities with 150 meter+ buildings? It's a stretch to even count spires let alone antennas which have no connection to the architectural detail of a building. Edmonton has several proposals over 150 meters that are likely to happen, Ottawa and Winnipeg both have one official proposal each that is over 150 meters. That's basically it for now unless some of Hamilton's loosely proposed towers release any architectural information sometime soon.

Also, I found new renders of Calgary's Telus Sky showing the redesign at the bottom of the tower, including the park on the +30 level. It is absolutely stunning and I love the small new changes Work on the development will begin this July.

http://westbankcorp.com/telus-sky

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 2:54 AM
Made in Edmonton

Yup...I love this building....

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 2:55 AM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Fun time for Toronto right now, as we have quite a bit on the go with regards to rumors/proposals

We have the York St rumor of a 700ft+ office tower going up over Union Station with UT working on the story now, then we have the 870ft office tower proposal at 156 Front St with a rumor of Cadillac Fairview working with a big potential tenant, then we have a rumor tonight of Oxford Place going ahead which is epic in itself with two potential supertalls. The 1 Yonge super project is racing ahead with developers trying to get this one moving ASAP by bypassing city bureaucracy and red tape (4-5 towers all over 200m). On top of this, Wellsely On The Park will likely get upgraded to 60+ stories making it a 200m+ tower, and should sell quite nicely IMO.

YC Condos also is over 90% sold out and will stand at 650ft (198m) in height, and 1 Yorkville is also close to sold out and will be close to 620ft with a reasonable chance of a height increase.

Another tower going up over Union Station, in addition to the newly redesigned 214 meterish?? 171 Front Street? That's incredible.. I hadn't heard anything about a tower going up directly over Union Station, but I guess it makes sense, and it will also make for some extremely valuable real estate.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 3:10 AM

There might be some confusion - 171 Front and 20 York is the same project. The tower will be called Union Centre

And Wellesley on the Park will not break 200m - it'll be 194m

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 3:22 AM
gettin' rich!

Gosh darn it!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 3:25 AM

Quote:

Great! We've endured some months of relative quietude. I'm not completely sold on the Oxford towers, only because in their placement they will be a visual impediment to sightseers from CN's sky pod.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 3:41 AM
Insertoronto

they won't be that bad, and won't be any worse than 156 front.

think of it as incentive to go to the second level!

plus we can't let view corridors of observation towers dictate planning, Calgary would be full of little stumps today if we did.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 3:45 AM

Quote:

What's interesting is that these three major office projects are all at the same intersection of Front & Simcoe: 156 Front on the northeast, 20 York/171 Front on the southeast and Oxford Place on the southwest.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 3:58 AM
Insertoronto

That northwest PATH connection is going to be insanely well used if these all go ahead..

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
There might be some confusion - 171 Front and 20 York is the same project. The tower will be called Union Centre

Awe damn! We can't get a damn 200m proposal anymore in this city. YC just missed it, 1 Yorkville is not close at this point (needs a 5 floor boost). I figured Wellesley On The Park would have a chance at cracking 200m given its now 60 floors. 636ft is a tad short for a 60 storey building. ICE I was 57 floors and it's over 200m.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Awe damn! We can't get a damn 200m proposal anymore in this city. YC just missed it, 1 Yorkville is not close at this point (needs a 5 floor boost). I figured Wellesley On The Park would have a chance at cracking 200m given its now 60 floors. 636ft is a tad short for a 60 storey building. ICE I was 57 floors and it's over 200m.
We've actually got more buildings over 200 metres than buildings between 175-200 metres.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 5:31 AM

i am happy for Oxford place but if it will be 1000+ft and will have same design
i think we will get more proposals in April or may because condo market is still strong.

I was just wondering today that a city's skyline look better with more office towers or more residential towers. what do you guys think?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 5:35 AM

Quote:
ICE I was 57 floors and it's over 200m.
because ice 1 have a large roof element on the top.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 5:36 AM
ARTchitecture

A good mix of both is best. However, office towers in major cities seem to be of consistently high quality, while residential towers are quite hit and miss with quality. So I guess if I had to pick, it would be office towers.

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 5:42 AM

Heads up folks. UrbanToronto's story about Union Centre (aka 20 York, aka 171 Front, aka 151 Front) is most likely going up tomorrow afternoon/evening with some nice, shiny renderings.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
it is such a tease when a tower just need 5 or 6 metres to make it a 200m but the developer don't add 5 or 6 metres
there are many examples like
yc condos, bay Adelaide east, E condos, etc.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
Heads up folks. UrbanToronto's story about Union Centre (aka 20 York, aka 171 Front, aka 151 Front) is most likely going up tomorrow afternoon/evening with some nice, shiny renderings.
is it 200m or not?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada