HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 12:58 AM
Razor Razor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,823
Which Two Canadian Metros Are Really In Sync With Each Other

Just for discussion.

Real synergy between both such as travel ,trade, shared local cultures etc.
I'm discounting Ottawa and Gatineau because of them being essentially one metro.

I feel there's a bit of a disconnect with Montreal and Ottawa.
I travelled the Ontario side to Montreal enough times, and the traffic volume has always been a little underwheming to me considering there's +/- 6.0 million people between the two metros which are just under 2.0 hours apart.I realize that traffic volume isn't exactly the benchmark for two metros being in sync, but I also can't think of two metros in Canada that are this close with entirety different M.O'S.
OTOH, I've run into more people from Kingston either through business or travel, so I would say Kingston/Ottawa may be a good example of two metros in harmony with each other.

Which two metros do you feel really click and have a lot of of back and forth together?

Montreal/QC?

Hamilton/Toronto?

The obvious ones?

Are there any more examples of two that are in close proximity to each other and that you would think there would be a strong connection, but there just isn't, like a Mars and Venus scenario? Inversely, which two do you feel have the most?

Last edited by Razor; Apr 3, 2017 at 12:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 1:02 AM
middeljohn middeljohn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,678
Calgary/Edmonton is the most obvious one to me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 1:04 AM
balletomane balletomane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 407
Saskatoon and Regina. Even though their corridor isn't urbanized the same way Calgary and Edmonton's are, they both anchor a large region with their economic regions overlapping.

Also, I know you said Canadian, but Detroit-Windsor for sure.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 1:08 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: See post below...
Posts: 24,014
In terms of national significance... Toronto/Ottawa and Montreal.

In terms of actual connection, even if only regionally significant... Calgary/Edmonton.

If we bring it down to separate municipalities but even within the same CMA, then I think Victoria and St. John's are probably the most integrated/nonsensically separated into different municipalities.

There's also a very interesting dynamic between New Brunswick's three cities. They're very connected, but they're also separate. They're almost like... Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal. So different, so separate, but part of the same country. Instead it's Saint John, Fredericton, and Moncton - different, but part of the same province, and connected on some medium-importance level.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 1:11 AM
Razor Razor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by balletomane View Post
Saskatoon and Regina. Even though their corridor isn't urbanized the same way Calgary and Edmonton's are, they both anchor a large region with their economic regions overlapping.

Also, I know you said Canadian, but Detroit-Windsor for sure.

That's a great example, and I may post a similar thread in the City Discussions as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 3:29 AM
BIMBAM's Avatar
BIMBAM BIMBAM is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 512
Vancouver and Victoria are strongly connected and well integrated, despite the water barrier. As the only two Canadian true cities in the region they look to one another. They aren't rivals as they each have their own naturally determined hinterlands. They share much in common as the two cities of coastal BC, and differ in their layouts, economies, and lifestyles from cities in the interior.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 3:55 AM
sunsetmountainland sunsetmountainland is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
Posts: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Vancouver and Victoria are strongly connected and well integrated, despite the water barrier. As the only two Canadian true cities in the region they look to one another. They aren't rivals as they each have their own naturally determined hinterlands. They share much in common as the two cities of coastal BC, and differ in their layouts, economies, and lifestyles from cities in the interior.
How about Vancouver Victoria and Nanaimo
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 12:34 PM
balletomane balletomane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 407
If you expand this beyond only two metros, than KWC plus Guelph would be another example.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 1:09 PM
north 42's Avatar
north 42 north 42 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Posts: 4,059
I think that Hamilton and Niagara are pretty in sync with each other, maybe even more so than Hamilton and Toronto.
__________________
Windsor Ontario, Canada's southern most city!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 1:50 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 12,463
K-W and Guelph, I would say.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 3:29 PM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is online now
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 11,844
Westmount and Montreal-West. Also, Pointe-Claire and D.D.O.
__________________
Alarm Force is listed on the TSX
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 4:00 PM
bikegypsy's Avatar
bikegypsy bikegypsy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 793
In sync, to me means 'working together and completing each other'. I think that we can exclude the 2 'real' big cities as they are their own islands, if not planets. Montreal looks favourably to Quebec City as a place for an interesting getaway... but not more. Quaint and charming, but that's it. Lord knows Toronto doesn't need anybody else. As for Ottawa and Kingston, the larger city in any given region always acts as magnet for various things... Education, employment, etc... How many people from Ottawa do you meet in Kingston? Not many save for weekend day trippers. Besides, Kingston is kind of too small to be considered seriously. So no, not in my opinion.

The obvious 2 cities are Calgary and Edmonton. Almost identical in size and quite different (but complimenting) in activity. Corporate types vs engineers and civil servants, business vs the arts, office vs playground, etc. They both treat the other like a red headed step child (as all close/rival cities do) but are basically non-identical twins forever in need of each other.

Last edited by bikegypsy; Apr 1, 2017 at 6:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 5:53 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 33,186
Toronto and Waterloo region because of Hi-Tech.

The bullet train between the two cities would be a bonus.
__________________
Learn Here about the 200 Skyscrapers U/C in Toronto The Toronto Skyscraper Blog
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 6:10 PM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is online now
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 4,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
I think that Hamilton and Niagara are pretty in sync with each other, maybe even more so than Hamilton and Toronto.
I wouldn't say that. I would say that everything outside Toronto is subordinately in sync with Toronto, while Toronto answers to no one.

Like all alpha cities.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 6:50 PM
manny_santos's Avatar
manny_santos manny_santos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Willowdale
Posts: 3,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegypsy View Post
In sync, to me means 'working together and completing each other'. I think that we can exclude the 2 'real' big cities as they are their own islands, if not planets. Montreal looks favourably to Quebec City as a place for an interesting getaway... but not more. Quaint and charming, but that's it. Lord knows Toronto doesn't need anybody else. As for Ottawa and Kingston, the larger city in any given region always acts as magnet for various things... Education, employment, etc... How many people from Ottawa do you meet in Kingston? Not many save for weekend day trippers. Besides, Kingston is kind of too small to be considered seriously. So no, not in my opinion.

The obvious 2 cities are Calgary and Edmonton. Almost identical in size and quite different (but complimenting) in activity. Corporate types vs engineers and civil servants, business vs the arts, office vs playground, etc. They both treat the other like a red headed step child (as all close/rival cities do) but are basically non-identical twins forever in need of each other.
Although Kingston is geographically closer to Ottawa than to Toronto, I think it's more connected with Toronto than Ottawa. In my years living in Kingston, I met a lot of Queens students as well as people who had relocated there from other cities. There were definitely a few from Ottawa, the Upper Ottawa Valley and the Seaway Valley, but they were outnumbered by people from the GTA and other places along the 401 between Toronto and Kingston.

Another thing I noticed - far more Leafs fans than Senators fans in Kingston.

That said, Ottawa Bluesfest and the Canal seem to be popular day trips for Kingston residents, as I recall. Kingston is also more within Ottawa's media influence than Toronto's, as CBC Radio there comes from Ottawa and both the CTV and CBC TV channels are from Ottawa.

Ottawa's airport is also arguably much easier to get to than Toronto's. Ottawa's is in the south end close enough to Highway 416 while Toronto's is on the west side, more convenient for someone from London or K-W.

In some ways Kingston is also quite connected with Watertown, New York. There is media influence from TV and radio from Watertown, and there's quite a bit of cross-border traffic. New York license plates are a common site in Kingston, and Ontario license plates are a common site in Watertown. When the dollar was more favourable, at least half the plates in the parking lot at Watertown's main mall were from Ontario.
__________________
Help control the pet population, have your pets spayed or neutered.

Last edited by manny_santos; Apr 1, 2017 at 7:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 7:09 PM
bikegypsy's Avatar
bikegypsy bikegypsy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Although Kingston is geographically closer to Ottawa than to Toronto, I think it's more connected with Toronto than Ottawa. In my years living in Kingston, I met a lot of Queens students as well as people who had relocated there from other cities. There were definitely a few from Ottawa, the Upper Ottawa Valley and the Seaway Valley, but they were outnumbered by people from the GTA and other places along the 401 between Toronto and Kingston.

Another thing I noticed - far more Leafs fans than Senators fans in Kingston.

That said, Ottawa Bluesfest and the Canal seem to be popular day trips for Kingston residents, as I recall.
Yes. Kingston attracts some students from all over Canada, it does have a great university after all. But we're talking about 2 cities being in sync.... 'In sync' has an aspect of equilibrium and an element of 'feeding from each other,' which is not the case between Kingston and Toronto. The relationship Toronto has with its immediate neighbors (London, Kitchener, Hamilton, Kingston, etc) is more like that a parent with his children. The only city I could consider having synchronicity with Toronto would be Montreal, as it is also multi-faceted and of a certain standard. I'm not sure if we could say these 2 are actually in sync.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 11:16 PM
Razor Razor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,823
How about London and Windsor? You would think that London and Windsor would have this at some level, but I suspect it's a Mars and Venus scenario with Windsor being tied to Detroit and London being more white collar.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 11:56 PM
Bandage Bandage is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 37
Kapuskasing and Moonbeam
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2017, 12:01 AM
1overcosc's Avatar
1overcosc 1overcosc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kladno, Czech Republic
Posts: 7,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Another thing I noticed - far more Leafs fans than Senators fans in Kingston.
I find the split between Leafs and Sens actually pretty even in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Ottawa's airport is also arguably much easier to get to than Toronto's. Ottawa's is in the south end close enough to Highway 416 while Toronto's is on the west side, more convenient for someone from London or K-W.
Yeah, but WAY more people here use Pearson. Probably three times more. Way more flight options.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2017, 12:19 AM
Razor Razor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandage View Post
Kapuskasing and Moonbeam
Having been to both on more then a few occasions, I actually agree with this one..Don't know about Kap and Hearst though...Kap and Timmins either. They are less then two hours apart, but are wood vs rocks as far as economies go..Kapuskasing is also more Francophone.

North Bay and Sudbury?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:09 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.