HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 12:42 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

[St. John's] Convention Centre Expansion

St. John's Convention Centre Expansion

I think it's time to proceed with a separate thread for this project in our brand new St. John's section (I'll still be saying that a year from now, by the way - I love it!).

The St. John's Convention Centre is currently expanding. Several clapboard buildings adjacent to the existing centre were demolished to allow its expansion west to the corner of Waldegrave and New Gower streets.

Here is a past render (which is no longer valid) from The Official Project Thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
St. John's Convention Centre Expansion - Proposed

More info: http://destinationstjohns.com/destin...lanner/#/18-19

And another render:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE View Post

Taken from the provincial gov. new release posted September 2012
http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/...ewsArticle/154

And here is the most recent description posted in that thread by Architype:

Quote:
• The dimensions of the expansion will extend west from the existing convention center on
New Gower St. to the corner of Waldegrave St. and running south/east onto Water St.
The building’s height will correspond with the existing convention center.
• The façade will consist of a metal sheen material broken up by a series of slightly
protruding panels of contrasting color which will accommodate signage. A section of the
exterior will also consist of floor to ceiling glass which will reflect the interior space,
particularly at night when it will be illuminated. The protruding panels will advertise
events occurring at the Center.
• One of the larger panels situated on the Water St. side will also be reserved for the
display of a permanent photograph or artwork applied to the surface by a computer
generated pixilation process which will be commissioned via an artist competition.
• A pedway is also proposed to connect the expanded convention center to the Delta Hotel
across the street. Due to the span of distance, the pedway will have to be constructed in
two sections: extending across Waldegrave St. and then across New Gower St.
• The parking garage entrance will be accessible via Waldegrave St. and will consist of a
fairly large opening to accommodate truck traffic. Its design was a challenge due to the
grading of the site.

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...014%202013.pdf

And here is a recent image of the general site preparation:

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Jan 16, 2013 at 1:18 PM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 1:17 PM

Taken from the provincial gov. new release posted September 2012
http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/...ewsArticle/154

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 1:18 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Thank you, JCE! I realize it's only one post down but I quoted you for the first post as well.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 1:31 PM

I read there were interior and exterior elevations presented last week. Does anyone have any copies or photos of these?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 12:29 AM

January 19, 2013

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 1:21 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

And here is a recent image of the general site preparation:

Looks like you're also going to have some Steele Hotel updates in your photos as well.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 5:36 PM

Article on VOCM today regarding the Convention Center:
Quote:
Convention Center Expansion Drawing Excitement

The city of St. John's is a step closer to having a convention centre that it says can compete with other major cities in Atlantic Canada. The construction project goes to tender tomorrow. The land next to the existing convention centre on New Gower Street has been cleared and the project is well on its way. The expansion was announced last fall during a joint funding announcement by the federal and provincial governments and the city. The three-storey building is expected to double the number of large meetings and conventions held each year. In addition, it will have 10 meeting rooms; that's eight more than the current facility. Plans for the project show the outside of the centre will be well lit and colourful with a projection screen used for promotion of events, Mile One and tourism in general. A competition will be held to select a large piece of public art that will be displayed on the exterior wall facing Water Street. The exisiting convention centre will remain open until expansion begins in 2014. The newly-expanded centre is expected to be open for business by January 2016.
http://vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=30185&latest=1

Notice the link jeddy

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 5:39 PM

So, It's not starting until next year and the whole convention center is going to be shut down for two years?? That sounds pretty bad for business.. You would think they could keep at least part of the existing convention center opened during the expansion.

Edit: It "goes to tender tomorrow"? Probably a really stupid question, but does that mean it gets officially proposed i.e: LUAR tomorrow??

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
So, It's not starting until next year and the whole convention center is going to be shut down for two years?? That sounds pretty bad for business.. You would think they could keep at least part of the existing convention center opened during the expansion.

Edit: It "goes to tender tomorrow"? Probably a really stupid question, but does that mean it gets officially proposed i.e: LUAR tomorrow??
I cannot see them closing the full convention centre maybe parts as they renovate.

When it goes to Tender it means that it will be published so that companies can put in bids on parts of it's construction (a competition for the best fit) for example the construction portion and the landscaping and electrical etc.

In other words they will announce what the companies can bid on and it starts the competition for companies to win the contracts

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
I cannot see them closing the full convention centre maybe parts as they renovate.

When it goes to Tender it means that it will be published so that companies can put in bids on parts of it's construction (a competition for the best fit) for example the construction portion and the landscaping and electrical etc.

In other words they will announce what the companies can bid on and it starts the competition for companies to win the contracts
Ahhhh, I see. Thanks

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 10:25 PM

Heard this on th news to clear things up a bit..

-Construction will be begin this march
-The convention center will close sometime in 2014 for about a year
-due to be completed on a Saturday in 2016

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 12:54 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I guess this can be shared here too:

Quote:
Convention Centre Expansion Drawing Excitement

The city of St. John's is a step closer to having a convention centre that it says can compete with other major cities in Atlantic Canada. The construction project goes to tender tomorrow. The land next to the existing convention centre on New Gower Street has been cleared and the project is well on its way. The expansion was announced last fall during a joint funding announcement by the federal and provincial governments and the city. The three-storey building is expected to double the number of large meetings and conventions held each year. In addition, it will have 10 meeting rooms; that's eight more than the current facility. Plans for the project show the outside of the centre will be well lit and colourful with a projection screen used for promotion of events, Mile One and tourism in general. A competition will be held to select a large piece of public art that will be displayed on the exterior wall facing Water Street. The exisiting convention centre will remain open until expansion begins in 2014. The newly-expanded centre is expected to be open for business by January 2016.
Source: http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...30185&latest=1

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 1:43 AM

Architype, read six posts above

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 2:20 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

LoL sorry, I usually spend a little more time reading.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 3:27 AM

haha, I've done the same thing many times

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 1:01 PM

Quote:
The new St. John’s Convention Centre is closer to becoming a reality as the construction project goes to tender on Jan. 26.

“I am very pleased to see us moving forward with this next critical step in the project,” says Councillor at Large Sandy Hickman, Council liaison on the Convention Centre Project Committee. “The St. John’s Convention Centre project is driving economic rejuvenation in the downtown St. John’s area and once completed will be a civic property which generates increased economic activity in the City.”

St. John’s has become a very popular convention location with convention and meeting organizers due to our unique location, culture and heritage. The current configuration of the centre does not allow the City to compete with other similarly sized locations in Atlantic Canada – such as Moncton, Fredericton or Charlottetown.

“Through Destination St. John’s efforts to market the City to the convention industry we have become a destination of choice,” says Councillor Hickman. “However the current layout of the centre limits the size of events we can hold and we are in the unfortunate position of having to turn away convention and large meeting opportunities. The new St. John’s Convention Centre will ensure we remain competitive and allow us to bring even more visitors to our region.”

The project was first announced last fall during a joint funding announcement made by the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, Government of Canada and City of St. John’s. The City’s portion of the funding is coming from the Accommodation Tax.

The tender for construction on the project will close mid-March with the construction phase to begin immediately. The current St. John’s Convention Centre will remain open as work begins on the expansion until the fall of 2014 at which time it is expected to close for renovation work to begin on that portion. The newly expanded centre will open for business in January 2016.

“All of the infrastructure projects we work on as a City are important, whether it be upgrading water mains, completing street rehabilitation or constructing new public buildings,” says Councillor Hickman. “What sets the St. John’s Convention Centre apart is its ability to impact our local economy in a positive way for decades to come. You can already see the positive economic impact of the expansion, the City has seven applications on file for new hotel properties in the City and there is no question this entire sector will benefit from the expansion project.”

New St. John’s Convention Centre

The current configuration of the St. John’s Convention Centre is too small or inappropriately configured for many conventions which the City might otherwise attract. The expansion of the St. John’s Convention Centre, designed by Stantec Architecture and Newfoundland Design Associates, improves it to a fully self-contained Tier 3 facility that is expected to double the number of large meetings and conventions the centre holds each year.

“We met very early on with convention and meeting organizers to determine how the convention centre could meet the needs of the industry and we received excellent feedback which has been incorporated into the new St. John’s Convention Centre design,” says Councillor Hickman.

Some of the highlights of the new centre include:

•The current centre can host conventions of 400 to 600 people in conjunction with the Delta Hotel. The new centre will be able to host conventions of 600 to 800 and approximately 1,300 people for a sit-down dinner in the new 19,500 sq. ft. main ballroom and an additional 400 people in the junior ballroom.
•The current centre has two meeting rooms in addition to the ballroom, which is not set up to be subdivided. The new centre will have 10 meeting rooms on the third level and both ballrooms can be subdivided into four meeting spaces.
•Storage space at the current centre is inadequate for its size. The new convention centre will have vastly improved storage space which will allow the centre to store everything it needs to fully set up both ballrooms for use at the same time.
•The new convention centre will have a state-of-the-art kitchen which is capable of serving 1,300 hot meals in 15 minutes and up to 2,600 meals per day. The current kitchen facilities are approximately one-quarter the size of what the new convention centre will have.
•Loading will also be enhanced at the new centre and transport trucks and delivery vehicles will have full access to the facility through the ground floor. The loading facilities allow direct access to the main ballroom and the kitchen.
•The new convention centre will have a direct pedway to the Delta Hotel, in addition to the pedway to Mile One Centre which already exists.
•The Business Hall of Fame will be highlighted with additional space and an interactive display.
•There will also be additional office space, a workshop and an event office for convention/meeting organizers.
•The outside of the facility will also be updated with new features including:
■Storefront type glazing which will be illuminated at night and provide daytime reflective surfaces.
■The outside façade will be reminiscent of the colourful aspects of downtown St. John’s.
■The front of the centre will include a large projection screen marquee to promote the convention centre, Mile One Centre and tourism.
■The new entrance will provide an elegant canopy for events.
■On Waldegrave Street, architectural screens will be incorporated, which will be backlit for visual interest.
■The current bus shelter on Water Street will be incorporated into the building.
■On Water Street there will be a large piece of public art on one section of the exterior wall and there will be a competition to select the image used.
■There will also be additional opportunities to include public art throughout the interior of the facility.

“I am very pleased that this facility is going to be such a pleasant space for pedestrians and visitors and I believe it will enhance the area,” says Councillor Hickman. “Traffic circulation in the area has already been improved and the new centre once completed will be a focal point in the downtown for visitors and residents alike.”

http://www.stjohns.ca/media-release/...t-going-tender

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 4:52 PM

One thing that I fear about this convention centre expansion is that they might be playing catch up and not looking at future demand .. how long will it take to outgrow this one? I mean they are citing cities like Fredericton and Charlottetown as competition .. I'd think that they would aim to compete with some bigger cities (keeping the future in mind) even if it wont be right away

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 4:58 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

That's one of my biggest pet peeves about us. We always underestimate ourselves when planning for what the future St. John's and Newfoundland and Labrador will need. Always.

It's why we have hideous, piecemeal buildings like the Avalon Mall while cities that are more forward-looking in their planning have beautiful, single buildings.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 4:59 PM

I know. While the expansion is great, I find it sad that we, a city of 200,000, is playing catch-up with cities of 60,000. We should be building this with the future in mind. We should not build something that can rival those cities, we should build something bigger than those cities in hopes of competing with larger centers such as halifax.

The plans for the expansion sound great, I just feel it should have been much bigger.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 5:03 PM

That being said we HAVE come a very long way, attitudes are changing even if it's bit by bit.

Look at the airport they are going to DOUBLE the size.. I think that's going to be a good forward thinking project .. it's also difficult when you are using public money like for the convention centre, the public outcry all the time about anything being spent above the perceived "need".

However I hope they have an idea of how they will expand it more in the future (no more room) .. maybe they will be able to go up and add move floors? I dont know but give it ten years after it's complete and we'll be crying for a new one

I say enough catch up -> time to start shooting for the moon

edit:
This is why we need more young people with fresh ideas helping shape our city

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's