HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Are they going to repave clifford street? Why has it been torn up?
Partly. It'll turn left into Cass where Sibley used to intersect Cass or roughly halfway between Henry and Sproat. It'll also be where the entrance to the parking garage is.

The vacated part of the street will instead be the driveway for the underground loading dock.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
Holy hell...who are they advertising to? The Martians?
is the center score board gonna be pizza shaped?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2016, 3:41 PM

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 9:13 PM
Registered Ugly

Can't believe how fast that thing has gone up.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 10:18 PM

Finally we'll see some closure along that west street wall of Woodward. No more obnoxious empty lots.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 2:32 PM
Community Guy

14months 9 days call it.

April 25, 2015

http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps4v8swbib.jpg

July 3, 2016

http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps4gzsrsi9.jpg

--------------------

Was very curious to see how Rogers Place here in Edmonton compares.

March 10, 2014

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7428/...ca6659de_b.jpg

+14 months, 9 Days.
May 19, 2015
Closes I could find is May 14, 2015

http://i.imgur.com/iVcgbGM.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/p1ndpxC.png

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 4:20 PM

I think Little Ceasers Arena is actually about 200,000 square feet smaller than Roger's Place. LCA is also double the cost (after currency conversion) which I don't know if it affects the amount of work that be done.

Though RP also has more built upon its foundation whereas the LCA has probably a quarter of the structure below grade level.

However, at this point, RP is opening in less than 70 days and LCA still has another year to go so it's kind of moot to decide whose fastest lol.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 5:24 PM
Community Guy

Oh this was not about 'fastest', just for comparison sake.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 10:58 PM

Ground level pics from earlier today.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 7:57 PM

Exclusive: Inside the Practice Ice at Little Caesars Arena
BY ROBIN RUNYAN JUL 13, 2016. Curbed Detroit.

http://detroit.curbed.com/2016/7/13/...little-caesars

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 4:34 PM

More clarification on what "the district" will look like.

Quote:
New Detroit Red Wings' arena plans: Posh hotel, medical center, retail
By JC Reindl
Detroit Free Press
July 14, 2016

More details of the future Detroit arena district were revealed Thursday, including plans for a 350-room athletes hotel, a world-class sports medicine center and new Woodward Avenue retail shops atop a pair of new I-75 overpasses.

The high-end hotel would be built between the new $627.5-million arena and the Fisher Freeway service drive. It could feature many large suites and cater to the many professional athletes who come through Detroit for the city's professional sports teams, according to a presentation Thursday by retail broker Scott Young of CBRE in Southfield, which is handling leasing for the district.

An updated site plan shows the hotel opening in 2019.

Near the hotel and along Woodward — between downtown Detroit and the start of Midtown — could go two new strips of single-story retail buildings. These buildings would be built over I-75 on opposite sides of Woodward. Their foundations would rest on two future interstate overpasses and could open in 2018, according to the site plan.

Olympia Development has previously said the arena and its surrounding commercial and residential district could encompass more than $1 billion in private and public dollars. The district itself would be entirely funded by private investment.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...tail/87083910/

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 6:27 PM

District map updated.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...tail/87083910/

The parking garage near Comerica Park is about to start construction (center behind the church).

The west side parking garage is halfway done, townhomes will be built in front of this blank wall.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in..._red_wing.html

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
'Topping off' ceremony marks another milestone in Little Caesars Arena construction
By Chris Ehrmann. Crain's Detroit. August 4, 2016.

Dozens of iron workers who labored on the new Little Caesars Arena gathered Thursday morning for a celebration of a new milestone for the building: The last piece of structural steel placed on the roof of the new home for the Detroit Red Wings.

More than 7,500 pieces of steel have been placed on the 819,00-square-foot structure since October by Detroit-based Midwest Steel and Iron Workers Local 25, with more than 540 construction workers helping to build the $627.5 million, 20,000-seat arena. Some of the next steps to finishing off the arena include building the elevators and escalators, parking structure, pedestrian bridge linking parking to the arena and starting to place masonry and drywall.

During the ceremony, many of the construction workers were able to get pictures with and write their signature on the steel beam, which had an American flag and an evergreen tree on top of it, a construction tradition. The "topping off" ceremony is a cherished custom for iron workers who believe it brings good luck, said Thomas Broad, executive vice president of Midwest Steel. The flag represents patriotism and the American dream, while the tree is said to appease tree-dwelling spirits displaced during construction.

The beam was hoisted into the air and placed into its spot on top of the roof of the arena.

Even with the last piece of steel placed on the roof, Broad said there are still several months to go to complete the work on the arena so it can meet the projected September 2017 opening.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-caesars-arena

Webcam view as of August 4, 2016.

http://www.districtdetroit.com/live-web-cam/

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
District Detroit Pursues Architectural Diversity, Eyes Shops Over I-75
BY R.J. KING Published: Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Rather than design uniform buildings for the 50-block area called District Detroit that surrounds the upcoming Little Caesars Arena, Olympia Development, a division of Ilitch Holdings Inc., owners of the Detroit Red Wings, is taking a cue from the city’s historic neighborhoods to set the tone for the emerging urban enclave.

As an example, the four-story administration building for the Detroit Red Wings now under construction along the western side of Woodward Avenue, just north of I-75, will appear as three different structures. One façade will feature steel I-beams and glass panels, while the next will be made of limestone and the most northern exterior will be made of brick and mortar.

“We wanted the building to have beautiful contrasts and appear as if it has been there a long time,” says Tom Wilson, president of Olympia Development. “If you’re walking down Woodward when everything is done, you will see restaurants and retail stores on the first floor, and it will feel authentic to Detroit. If you’re looking at it from across the street, it will feel like you’re in a neighborhood that’s been there for decades.”

He adds residential lofts will be built on the outer edges of parking decks to the west of the arena, again to add to the visual appeal. As outside developers are encouraged to develop a five-star hotel, along with office and residential uses in the immediate area, he says Olympia Development is setting the design standard to bring an authentic feel to the district.

In turn, the company is working with the Michigan Department of Transportation, which maintains both Woodward and I-75 that passes south of the arena project, to determine the feasibility of adding a row of two-story buildings on either side of the overpass. If the structures are built, pedestrians and motorists passing over the Woodward overpass wouldn’t be able to see much, if any, of the freeway below.

“We’re working with MDOT to see if we can do it, and then we would have to fund it, but the goal would be to have it framed in by the time (the arena opens in September 2017),” Wilson says. “It could be restaurants, but more likely retail. The long-term vision would be to have a continuous retail and restaurant experience (along Woodward) from Jefferson Avenue all the way to the arena and beyond it.”

In related news, Wilson says Olympia Development recently saw ground broken on a new, multilevel parking deck immediately north of Comerica Park. He says the goal is to open the deck in time for Opening Day next spring.
http://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news/...ops-Over-I-75/

(conceptual view along Woodward)

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ena-teems-with

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 10:49 AM

August 16th.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 5:49 PM

September 25th.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 10:06 PM

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 3:18 PM

Sorry for kind of monthly updates, a lot has been going on actually:

Quote:
Tom Gores confirms Pistons 'very close' to move downtown, and soon
Vince Ellis , Detroit Free Press. October 28th, 2016.

The Detroit Pistons are “very close” to an agreement to return downtown, owner Tom Gores confirmed to the media tonight before his team’s home opener against the Orlando Magic.

The Pistons are nearing the completion of a deal to join the Red Wings in Little Caesars Arena when the building is scheduled to open next fall.

The Pistons would leave the Palace, the franchise's home since 1988.

The Free Press reported this week that the leadership teams of Gores and the Ilitch family have been talking to the NBA and city officials about several issues as they try to finalize the deal.

• The sides are still researching what it would take to modify the still-under-construction Little Caesars Arena, being built for the Wings, to accommodate the requirements of an NBA team.

• The Pistons also are considering potential downtown locations for business offices and a multi-million dollar practice facility. A person with firsthand knowledge of the situation told the Free Press that there are several parcels of land under consideration.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nb...ores/92911674/

Ancillary developments:
Quote:
DDA approves $175M for mixed-use developments in the District Detroit
BY ROBIN RUNYAN. Curbed Detroit. September 15, 2016.

Henry Street Development

LC HQ

The City of Detroit Downtown Development Authority has approved development agreements for the $150 million Little Caesars World Headquarters Campus Expansion and the $24.4 million first phase of a mixed-use building on Henry Street. It will be north of the I-75 Service Drive and west of Park on Henry. A hotel on Henry Street is still in the works, with no official announcement yet.

The mixed-use building on Henry Street is the first residential piece we’ve seen in the District Detroit, although it’s unknown at this time how much residential, office, and retail will be housed there. The press release says there’s potential for parking and thousands of square feet of retail space. By the looks of it, there should be a pretty decent amount of parking.

Detroit-based joint venture Colisanti-MiG is serving as the construction manager for the $24.4 million first phase of the building currently underway.

The Little Caesars World Headquarters, across the street from the Fox Theater, broke ground last week. The nine-story, 234,000-square-foot building is expected to be completed in 2018.
http://detroit.curbed.com/2016/9/15/...e-developments

Arena construction as of today

LC HQ construction as of today

http://www.districtdetroit.com/live-web-cam/

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 3:20 PM

The Detroit Red Wings Tour Little Caesars Arena
Quote:
The Edmonton Oilers marked the start of the 2016-2017 NHL season earlier this month by opening up their new home, Rogers Place, to an excited and hopeful fanbase. The city of Detroit will experience a similar sentiment when the 2017-2018 season gets underway, as their beloved Red Wings commence play in the HOK-designed Little Caesars Arena. With crews continuing to shape the forthcoming facility, Detroit Red Wings players and coaches were recently given a first-hand view of the construction progress.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 9:14 PM
Community Guy

Great shot, excited to see it open next year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development