HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 8:39 PM

City considers fees for fitness businesses in parks

Quote:
At least a few times a month, fitness trainer Cody Butler leads his clients out of the studio and onto Auditorium Shores to exercise in the shadow of Austin's skyline.

The fresh air and scenic spot keep his clients energized, he said. But that outdoor experience may soon come with a price tag.

Austin's Parks and Recreation Department is thinking about requiring businesses to pay for a permit to hold classes in city parks and on trails. The change could affect dozens of businesses, from running groups and yoga instructors to dog trainers, paddleboard teachers and baby-stroller exercise classes.

Instructors like Butler say the fee would conflict with the city's goal of encouraging health and wellness.
http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...ks-925788.html

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 2:46 PM
Meh

I kind of have mixed feelings about this. I understand if they're trampling the grass in the same spot say, 3 days a week. Something's gotta give. On the other hand, it seems like BS to try to charge a fee to use a public park. One question I would pose is, are those exercise classes free, or are they charging their students for the class? If they're charging the students for their classes, then yes, (maybe) they should charge those fitness instructors for using the parks. I watched the video this morning on Fox7, and some of what they were doing did look like it might wear down the grass a bit. Hopefully they'll consider the recent weather also when they pick what day to do a class. If the ground is muddy and soft, it's going to tear it up to have a bunch of people running on it. The grass at Auditorium Shores isn't lush carpet grass, it's buffalo grass, which isn't very thick or hardy.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 5:19 PM

Yeah - I had mixed feelings too. If you boil it all down, how is this business different than a street vendor or a sidewalk vendor, who also uses public property already paid for.

The people gathered in these organized exercise fests do get in the way at times, its never really bothered me, but I've seen it occur. I'm far more bothered by bicycles whipping past 2 feet away from my body at 20MPH or sometimes just straight at me or another person - especially when they are children.

The trampled grass is an issue I hadn't thought of, but the doggy park is the biggest offender of this (not to mention dog owners not picking up the dog do do)

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 5:29 PM

I hate the idea. Don't we spend tons of state tax money to combat obesity? I know it may not be as bad in Austin, but it's not that far off from the rest of the state. Let's do something sensible and let the parks be free for any fitness related class, for profit or not. Maybe if they want to reserve an area to make sure other people don't get it first, charge a fee. Otherwise leave it free and maybe you'll save some tax dollars down the road with a healthier population.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 6:06 PM
Meh

One thing the city should consider is to put down an area of astroturf. Or maybe that padded stuff they have at Schlitterbahn, and on high school jogging tracks. I've seen it at some city park playgrounds too. There's a large area at Auditorium Shores near the parking lot near South First where there's no grass right now. They could put it there. It would be easy to clean and wouldn't become damaged. Plus, they could do their exercises even after it rained since they wouldn't be in the mud.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
I hate the idea. Don't we spend tons of state tax money to combat obesity? I know it may not be as bad in Austin, but it's not that far off from the rest of the state. Let's do something sensible and let the parks be free for any fitness related class, for profit or not. Maybe if they want to reserve an area to make sure other people don't get it first, charge a fee. Otherwise leave it free and maybe you'll save some tax dollars down the road with a healthier population.
Using that same logic, then any health improvement oriented business would operate tax free. Maybe there should just be a fat tax.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 7:06 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
Using that same logic, then any health improvement oriented business would operate tax free. Maybe there should just be a fat tax.
That might actually work. There could be anti-fat tax marches down Congress Avenue. People would probably never realize it was a conspiracy to make them get out and exercise.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
I think we're close to a fat tax on things like fast food, sodas, etc. Very close.

I'd rather the health-oriented businesses operate tax free, frankly.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 8:21 PM

anti-fat tax march

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
I think we're close to a fat tax on things like fast food, sodas, etc. Very close.

I'd rather the health-oriented businesses operate tax free, frankly.
I've read that Japan has a fat tax. I think they get the tape measure out, rather than tax junk food. Maybe the US ought to do both - we have a serious problem that if I had to guess, is the leading cause of our exploding health care costs. I don't know why the current administration didn't do that as well as cram health care down employers throats. Why not attack the problem at the root?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 5:05 PM

^Actually Michelle has taken this head on. A little better than the guy that choked on a chip while laying down and watching football

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin